Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Packed Lunches page 2

Emseven is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Big Ass Salad. I pack a salad every day. It's usually the same base of lettuce/spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers, then sometimes I add a little feta, avocado, or some other veggies I might have, and I switch up the protein: tinned salmon, sardines, leftover chicken or beef or sausages, ham.
    I keep a bottle of very good quality olive oil and one of balsamic vinegar at my desk.
    Even though it's almost the same every day, without fail every lunch hour one or more of my colleagues will tell me how good my lunch looks.
    It might sound a bit boring, but it certainly streamlines the night-before routine to know exactly what I'm making for tomorrow's lunch.
    Oh, and here's my "professional salad-packer" tip: build your salad upside down. I.e. put your protein in the bottom of the container first, then your cheese, chopped veg, and finish with the lettuce. You can dress it with oil & vinegar in the container, giver 'er a small shake, and then flip it out into a big bowl or plate and it looks perfectly freshly assembled.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    I do almost exactly the same as Emseven, but instead of keeping oil and vinegar at work (good idea though!) I dress with butter and/or dripping. It stays solid in the lunchbox, so it doesn't leak all over the inside of my bag. Then at lunchtime I extract it onto a plate and melt it in the microwave. Then I tip the salad onto the plate with the molten fat and stir it all in.

My colleagues generally tell me it looks 'healthy' and 'tasty'.

Doward is offline Junior Member
    some of my favorites are:

- Chopped liver
    - Smoked Salmon
    - Canned sardines

I also bring olives to work often and eat them with lunch

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the tips!

Here's my meal plan for the first week - in case anyone is interested:

- Lettuce wrapped chicken salad with craisins and walnuts, orange
    - Shrimp and spinach salad, orange
    - Berry smoothie (with mixed berries, kefir, spinach and carrots)
    - Half a pork chop with cinnamon apple sauce
    - Lettuce wrapped cheese burger (with grass fed beef, bacon, tomato and yes, a smidge of cheese), orange
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    Thanks for all the tips!

Here's my meal plan for the first week - in case anyone is interested:

- Lettuce wrapped chicken salad with craisins and walnuts, orange
    - Shrimp and spinach salad, orange
    - Berry smoothie (with mixed berries, kefir, spinach and carrots)
    - Half a pork chop with cinnamon apple sauce
    - Lettuce wrapped cheese burger (with grass fed beef, bacon, tomato and yes, a smidge of cheese), orange
    That's all ONE day right??? Cuz half a pork chop? That sounds like you're on a diet.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

tamingof is offline Junior Member
    I follow the awesome nomnompaleo over on tumblr, and she always posts really great pictures of lunches that she packs for her and her family, plus all sorts of other meals. Great inspiration for when I get stuck in a rut. Link here: Nom Nom Paleo
    Also, like a couple people above said, salad-in-a-jar is great. Here's a fun how-to layering guide: Salad in a Jar Bureau of Betterment

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    That salad in a jar idea looks great! I take it the meat counts as a 'hearty bit'?

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    I like to make a variety of sauces to keep in the fridge. Paleo BBQ sauce, Italian dressing (homemade mayo+Italian seasoning+ vinegar), sunbutter sauce, etc. I also chop and prep a bunch of veggies and keep a dozen or so eggs boiled as well as cook extra meat throughout the week. Easy to throw together a salad in a jar or pack a bunch of random stuff. It is summer so the kids and I are out hiking and spending the day at the lake quite a bit. I take eggs, lots of veggies, guacamole, a dip for meat, leftover meat, veggies, some fruit, and some nuts. String cheese for the kids. Tuna or chicken salad with apple and cucumber slices to scoop is yummy also.

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas
    I do bigg ass salads. I always make extra protein just for the purpose.

Also because I hate both wilty lettuce and cleaning those little plastic ware cups, I keep good olive oil and several types of vinegar in the drawer of my desk.

Mmmmmmmm it's what's for lunch
    Julia
    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
    Started Primal Mid January 2011
    Current Weight 183
    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    That's all ONE day right??? Cuz half a pork chop? That sounds like you're on a diet.
    No, that's the whole week . . . all sounds pretty filling to me actually. I don't usually eat a very big lunch, I eat a small-moderate sized lunch and have a mid-morning and a mid-afternoon small snack. So these lunches don't include my snacks - which will probably be some nuts, baby carrots or a smoothie.

Dinner is my big meal most days.

Even then, I am trying to keep my calories in the 1300-1500 range most days (if I go over to splurge on some extra protein or fat one day, no biggie - but I find that without empty carbs from refined grains and such I feel plenty satisfied on most days with 1300ish calories if I get enough protein). I am trying to lose weight here as well, and I am a short girl - so that is all the calories I should need. I'm not an athlete or anything. If become one, then I'll obviously change my diet to compensate for more activity.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast