Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when is enough enough? page

ereiam is offline Junior Member

when is enough enough?

Primal Fuel
    This is the question I keep asking myself. I am 5' 9" and I weigh 205 pounds. I am a 43 year old female. I have been doing primal for many months and altogether I have lost 82 pounds. But I've been stuck at 205 since April.

And here's the thing: I am bipolar and take some heavy duty psychotropics. One of these slows my metabolism and increases my appetite. (Don't bother telling me to get off of the drugs. I wouldn't be a functioning member of society without them. Really.) So this drug leaves me hungry all the time. Primal eating has helped a lot since I don't have carb cravings or blood sugar dips, but I can still eat a lot.

I feel really good. I don't have high blood sugar anymore. I don't have sleep apnea anymore. I don't have chronic acid reflux anymore. I can get around like I never could before. I walk 5 days a week and do 2-3 days of bodyweight exercises. My doctor is thrilled with my current health.

I eat primal probably 95% of the time. I already do a 16 hour fast daily. I have tried more exercise. I have tried VLC. Nothing budges the scale. Is this a plateau, or is this the weight that my body wants to be at?

A typical day of eating:
    Lunch: 5 oz of turkey, romaine lettuce, 1/2 avocado, 1 bell pepper
    Snack: 1 cup plain greek yogurt, 20 almonds, 1 very green banana
    Dinner: 4 eggs, 4 oz breakfast sausage, 1.5 cups brussel sprouts, 1 oz. 85% dark chocolate

Whaddya think?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I think all bets are off when your relying on drugs. Seems your doing all you can nutritionally. My personal perspective is that if you provide your body and brain with the what it requires to produce health and remove the interference then that is what your body will produce. How quickly symptoms resolve is relative to how long they have been present and how much damage your body must repair. Healing takes time. Health occurs from above down and inside out....medication can get you by for a short time, but in the end lifestyle changes and real health may take a bit longer. Anything that improves health improves your innate recuperative abilities will help you along. Three aspects to focus on IMO nutrition, movement, and mental/spiritual.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-03-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    I'd say try some fasting up to 24 hrs with strong ginger tea &/or green tea,if you need some boost at the end of 18-24 hrs, if you feel very comfy doing 16 & have been doing it for some time. I'd actually recommend resting more (45-90 extra minutes in the rack on weekends at a minimum) &/or (do you nap? It is summer), exercising less, do some pampering (emotionally & physically). If you have a partner, let the pampering come from both yourself & the partner, & friends too. Sometimes, less doing & more being is what's needed to jog things loose. Also, you could try some ketosis for 2-4 days (with again, lots of qual rest/sleep - so very important), if something more intense appeals to you, rather than my former gentler suggestions :-)

Also, it seems to me that you may need more fat & calories in your regime. Also 20 almonds + a starchy banana + yogurt seems like a hella lot of carb for a "snack"... I'd add some more sat fat & perhaps a wee bit less carb to meals & if it were me, I'd definitely fatify your snacks. Ya know, everyone is different, really you have to just do controlled experiements, keep track, & see what works & feels like something you can live with & more importantly, something you can & do ENJOY.
    Last edited by Betorq; 07-03-2012 at 06:59 PM.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    That is a pretty big dinner. 4 oz of breakfast sausage? That is a lot of breakfast sausage. Maybe use a leaner meat at dinner so you are still eating a similar amount of food but it is calorically less.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have a friend who has bi-polar disorder who struggles with her weight as well. She exercises and looks great, but does run a bit more heavy. I think you should be thrilled with your success and be okay with the possibility that you may stay at this weight for some time.

However, I would still try mixing it up a bit. For one thing, it seems to me that you hardly eat anything. If it were me, I would double the size of your lunch and add more fat to it, eliminate the dairy and nuts completely, skip the snack, and add some more red meat to your diet. Are you avoiding beef and pork for a reason? Because they are really great for filling you up for a long time.
    Last edited by jammies; 07-03-2012 at 07:15 PM.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

PoppaCap is offline Member
    "I feel really good. I don't have high blood sugar anymore. I don't have sleep apnea anymore. I don't have chronic acid reflux anymore. I can get around like I never could before. I walk 5 days a week and do 2-3 days of bodyweight exercises. My doctor is thrilled with my current health. "

Sounds like you are doing pretty damn good to me.

ereiam is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    When is the last time your system was clear of the medications?
    What happens to you while off them?
    It's been 10 years since I was on nothing. I nearly died. I would be interested to see how I would do without meds, but don't know if I have the guts to try it. My psych. would probably kill me anyway.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ereiam View Post
    It's been 10 years since I was on nothing. I nearly died. I would be interested to see how I would do without meds, but don't know if I have the guts to try it. My psych. would probably kill me anyway.
    Can you work with your psych to slowly taper down the meds? Perhaps see if you do okay on a lower dose with the change in diet and weight. Definitely don't go off meds without proper supervision.

Do you feel stressed with your current lifestyle? I agree with maybe backing off on the exercise for a little while and letting your body rest (perhaps as you taper down the drugs?)

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I can't really be of much help since I don't honestly know much about the subject, but I do remember there being A LOT of discussion about psychotropics making weight loss difficult. I would do a forum search to see if there have been any threads/posts about the particular meds you are on and see if anyone else here has had the same experiences or issues.

Hoping you find something that helps.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Honestly, I know people are trying to help, but suggesting that someone should try to get off their meds for psychological problems just seems wrong. You guys know absolutely nothing about this woman and her psychological issues and a professional that knows about these medications and knows this person is prescribing them to her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast