Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HIatus/Hiatal Hernia - how do you manage it? page

maximumsj is offline Junior Member

Smile HIatus/Hiatal Hernia - how do you manage it?

Primal Fuel
    Bonjour:

I apologize if my first post seems self-serving, but I'm getting very frustrated in trying to find good information on this condition. I was diagnosed with a small sliding hiatus hernia one month ago. The symptoms started as abdominal cramps, difficulty breathing, difficulty digesting... I've been following the PB on a 80/20 ratio for several years. My doctor prescribed PPI's (day 4 now) and gave the usual list of things to do (small meals, no food 2-3 hours before bedtime, raise the head of the bed, avoiding caffeine, chocolate...). I've been doing this, but still experiencing heartburn and difficulty sleeping. I'm currently taking Primal Foral and a digestive enzyme, as well as a multi-vitamin since I'm not eating as much as I used to. The internet has some good info, but also horror stories that only increase my anxiety (I just came off a very stresful period in my life). I'm doing meditation 2-4 times/day and try to take at least 2 walks a day (a far cry from my regular routine!). Right now, I'm focusing on finding what works and protecting my oesaphagus.

I'm looking for positive and constructive info from anyone who has lived with this condition: what worked for you? did you try surgery?

Thanks for the help. It's much appeciated.

Maximumsj

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    It looks like you are doing everything right. I don't know how you were diagnosed. I assume that you had an endoscopy and that no inflammation was found, but only a small hernia which is very common. Maybe you have a small inflammation which needs some time to heal.
    You might find Chris Kresser's website useful.
    Heartburn / GERD

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    It looks like you are doing everything right. I don't know how you were diagnosed. I assume that you had an endoscopy and that no inflammation was found, but only a small hernia which is very common. Maybe you have a small inflammation which needs some time to heal.
    You might find Chris Kresser's website useful.
    Heartburn / GERD
    Thanks Anna. Yes, it was diagnosed through an endoscopy. There was no inflammation at the time, but it seems like the heartburn is more prevalent. I guess I'm impatient and want to get better right away.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    I've lived w/ an umbilical hernia for the last 15 years. The only part of the PB I don't follow is the heavy lifting. It's what caused my hernia & it worsens it too. I do wear a sacro-lumbar belt when I lift weights or go to/from airports or load cars etc & I pull my stomach in while lifting & alot during the day as well. I keep my core & abs strong, always have. Overeating also was bad for it, which I rarely do the past decade, coz I'm way outta that habit & it doesn't feel good either, like when I was a young gun. I remember once while in SouthIndia, that heated clay therapy on the hernia site & drinking lots of daily raw green juices were supposedly healing for hernias, but it wasn't possible to do the course w/ my schedule then. Maybe someday I'll give it a whirl...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyAnthon View Post
    It looks like you are doing everything right.
    thanks for the replies so far

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I am not sure if they would affect it but you may want to try cutting out the digestive enzymes.
    Have you thought of adding an antacid like malox and gavascon to relieve the discomfort?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

The digestive enzymes help digesting the food while I'm on PPI's. I don't really want to eliminate those while I'm on the medication. I use Pepto-Bismol and Tums when needed.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Tums are mild, I would suggest talking to your doc about something stronger.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    I read on a yoga site to not take digestive enzymes, but it was only that one site & if they help you, go for it. There are some really good vids on youtube about self-massage that works really well, a lobelia tincture you can make or buy that I've used over the years for other stuff, How to Identify and Correct a Hiatal Hernia: Part 2 - YouTube, Hiatal Hernia Self Massage Video - YouTube . I was taught to do abdominal self-massage sitting on my heels (seiza, japanese style) but it can done laying on your back with bent knees & feet flat on the floor, or I suppose standing. It seems like you can relax the upper stomach & associated ab tension, & over time with effort, seems that it is doable to coax it back or more back into place. There are emotional aspects associated with our abdomen, do you emote well & often &/or meditate? Hope this helps

Thanks Betorq. I saw this massage video earlier, but never really tried it. Do you have a hiatus hernia as well?
    Re; emotional aspect - that's a weak point for me. Just came off a very stressful period in my life and I've no doubt this is all related. Working on getting the mental side back under control through daily meditation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast