mph is offline Junior Member

Doctor surprised by hdl- it doubled

Hi
    I just got my results after 3 months primal
    Total-260
    Hdl-106
    Ldl-140
    Tri-70

He was intrigued by hdl # but still wants me on 5 mg of crestor and 600 mg of coq10 twice a day, I am curious if there others with similar #'s
    When the nurse read the hdl, she said she never saw it that high!!!!

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Your numbers are perfect, and your doctor wants to put you on a statin???? Ugh. Do not, under any circumstances, take statins. Especially if you are a woman, and especially with those numbers.

Go look at the cholesterol primer. The test numbers you got are less important than the ratios. I plugged your numbers in and you have extremely good ratios. So do not worry about it.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Vega is offline Member
    The cholesterol primer link explains in great detail about LDL and how it's calculated. Since your triglycerides are under 100, the LDL should have been calculated with the Iranian equation (there's a calculator here: LDL Cholesterol Calculator). That would put your LDL at 121, which also takes that out of the borderline high range.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Of, FFS. Your doctor is insane. My total cholesterol is more than 300 and my LDL is more than 200, and I'm not on meds. My HDL was more than 120, and my tris below 40. This was as of...August? Something like that. And shockingly, I'm not dead yet. Please strongly consider NOT going on meds.

(My doc had told me that, along with my total cholesterol and my LDL being too high, my **HDL** was **too high** -- so that's when I decided to switch doctors. Haven't looked back. Oh, and I'm **still** not dead.)

JVib is offline Senior Member
    Here's my lates numbers:
    Total – 317
    HDL – 94
    LDL (Friedewald Equation) 214
    LDL (Iranian Equation) 166
    Trigs - 43

My Dr was impressed with my HDL. He was even more impressed when I removed my shirt for my exam. He "strongly suggested" I go on a stain, but he knows me well enough and wasn't surprized when I said no. He didn't push the issue.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    You need a new doctor.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    While total of 260 may be high according to CW, your ratios are ideal.

If you are still concerned, to address lowering total levels you might try shitake mushrooms & your doctor's suggestion of Co-Q10 is not a bad one. Other foods to include in your diet that can help: avocados (We each eat 2 a day now that they are affordable), pickled garlic (food, home made is excellent, ez & cheap) or aged garlic (supplement form), possibly dark leafy greens & blueberries. All primal foods.

I've had my mom on the stronger analogue of CoQ10 for adults over 40, Ubiquinol. Her older brother, my uncle, is a long time user (decades) of Co-Q10 to strengthen his heart. Both my mom & him have heart disease & both have held it at bay w/ Ubiquinol, the best most absorbable form of CoQ10 for people over age 40.

Links to check out , if you're interested: WHFoods: Mushrooms, shiitake

Coenzyme Q10, Ubiquinol, CoQ10 - iHerb.com

I have no financial interest in you buying or not buying these or any other products.
    Just trying to pass on some research I did for my mom.

mph

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Hi
    I just got my results after 3 months primal
    Total-260
    Hdl-106
    Ldl-140
    Tri-70

He was intrigued by hdl # but still wants me on 5 mg of crestor and 600 mg of coq10 twice a day, I am curious if there others with similar #'s
    When the nurse read the hdl, she said she never saw it that high!!!!
    Hi everyone,

Please forgive me for delay, not really sure how to do forum. Anyway thanks for positive answers. I did do it for a week and said what the hell am i doing. So i am off statin as of two days ago, the tricky part is he is a friend of mine, so hmmmmmm,!
    I am getting another test in 6 weeks to see if changes....

mph
    Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    The cholesterol primer link explains in great detail about LDL and how it's calculated. Since your triglycerides are under 100, the LDL should have been calculated with the Iranian equation (there's a calculator here: LDL Cholesterol Calculator). That would put your LDL at 121, which also takes that out of the borderline high range.

Thanks

mph
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast