Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you finally give up beer? page 2

MShelby is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    I was a brewer for 19 years. I think that saying that I was giving up beer entirely would simply be a lie. I have one very high quality beer about ever 4-6 weeks and I cherish it foldly. I have also made it a personal quest to find a gluten free beer that's any good. There are several contenders coming on board these days but none really compare to the real thing quite yet. I have become quite the conneseur of cider as well, quite a variety coming out these days in that area too.

Life is too short to make sacrifices that eat away at you every day, if that for you is giving up beer, try simply scaling back.
    I am also a brewer and just getting started with primal eating. I believe that the possibility of fermented fruits was very high in primal mans past... yeast is in the air, fruits get exposed to yeast, and bamm alcohol. I am sure Grok would have come across this on more than one occasion, and possibly even enjoyed it. So I may take my brewing talents and aim them towards the hard cider world as it is at least eliminating grains and keeping more true to primal thinking. That and making some red wine... also fruit based.

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Homebrewer here that is keeping the beer. Even if it means being less than optimal. I do, however, do an occasional beer fast of up to a month.

MShelby is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tplank View Post
    Homebrewer here that is keeping the beer. Even if it means being less than optimal. I do, however, do an occasional beer fast of up to a month.
    Yeah who am I kidding.... once a homebrewer, always a homebrewer. Besides some of our stronger beers can sit and wait to be consumed if need be.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    I gave it up. It's been over 30 days since I had a beer and while I do miss it, I don't crave it. Having always been a bourbon drinker though, helps. And wine, too. We have tons of both in the house so the absence of beer isn't so bad.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Wasn't a brewer, but a bit brewery-tourist and huge fan of the craft beers at one point. I skipped beer entirely for about 3 years, and recently have experimented with adding it back. I had less of a bad reaction than the GF (sick all the next day), but I definitely noticed a heavy brain fog each time (I think 3 times) I drank beer.

So it will be a once or twice a year indulgence now.

Even Mark Sisson drinks an occasional IPA. After he puts a teaspoon of sugar in his coffee. OMG 80/20.

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    Another homebrewer here (beer, cider, mead, grape & other fruit wines - LOL we even tried making wine from whey).

I loves me some IPA, esp with a shot of t'killya. But since going primal my tolerance has changed. A whole beer usually makes me feel woozy, carby. I haven't given up beer though. I have cut back to once a week maybe (not counting this week which is vacation & birthday) and will sometimes split one with my partner (also eating primal). Beer doesn't seem to affect her the same way, but she doesn't mind an excuse to cut back either.

Just cutting back, I notice better sleep, better digestion, less bloated feeling. And much more appreciation for the brews I do quaff.

A note on vodka - try potato-based, not grain. Our fave is Koenig from Idaho. It actually tastes great as a sippin liquor ANd Buffalo Trace is a tasty bourbon for the price. We buy more of it now than we do scotch or whisky.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBailey View Post
    A note on vodka - try potato-based, not grain. Our fave is Koenig from Idaho. It actually tastes great as a sippin liquor ANd Buffalo Trace is a tasty bourbon for the price. We buy more of it now than we do scotch or whisky.
    Haven't seen Koenig here, but we get Luksusowa potato vodka from Poland, which is delicious and priced nicely.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    ooohhh Buffalo Trace is a fave. It's a lovely, vanilla-forward bourbon. Sometimes I have it for dessert!
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    I love beer. In a BAD way. Day 3 of giving it up again.

skorpi0wn is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cantare View Post
    still have a bottle each of my erstwhile favorite hefeweizen (Franziskaner) and Belgian (Orval) sitting mournfully at the back of my fridge!
    Send them my way! Nom Nom!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast