Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not hungry, but feel faint page

DebbieL is offline Junior Member

Not hungry, but feel faint

Hi there,

I am new to the forum but have been reading the blog for a few years, started 10 months ago on/off primal, then strict primal about one month ago. Was feeling great with no hunger until a few days ago skipped a few meals (I had been stuck in airports -- sleeping in airports....). Now while I feel no hunger, I am very faint if it's nearing mealtime. Cold hands, jittery.... Just throwing this out to see if anyone has had this experience, and whether it's temporary or perhaps something worse (hypoglycemia?)

Eating a snack helps, but I've had two episodes of this so far. This never used to happen before.

Thank you so much, and thanks for all the help, Mark! Eating primal overall has helped me so much, what with moderating my hunger and giving me steady energy, and I would hate to have to change the way I am eating.

Debbie

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    From my own history with disordered eating, I can tell you that ignored hunger goes away after a while. For me, it's at about the 36-hr point. After that, my stomach no longer hurts and I no longer feel hungry. But my vision starts to get blurry, I get dizzy, I lose muscle coordination, etc.

So even if you're not hungry at that point, you still need to eat. Eating fixes it. You should know about what kind of portion is normal for you. Keep eating those sized portions at the right times for a while even if you don't feel hungry.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I think I know what you are talking about. Your veins shrink, your head feels funny - almost like you took an icy shower. Frankly, I don't think it's worth worrying about because it comes and goes. Does it impact your life in any significant way? Yes, eat. Eat a lot. Fasting is fun once in awhile, be eat at least once a day for most of the year.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jakey is offline Senior Member
    good lord, eat food. you feel faint cause you haven't been eating. try eating food, despite your lack of burning hunger, and see if it doesn't stop you from feeling faint.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I've had to readjust my "hunger signals" since I started Primal. I used to turn into an unholy bitch if I didn't get my three squares at least. Now I sometimes find myself droopier than usual at the end of a day and realize that I've been doing stuff all day and haven't eaten a thing. Your hunger probably isn't going to beat you over the head any more, but it is still real and still needs to be addressed.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Hypoglycemia literally means low blood sugar. It's not something big and scary, even though it's not fun. If you go too long without eating, your blood sugar will get low. Eating fixes it. Experiment and figure out what your threshold is (meal size and how many hours you can go till the next meal), and then stay within it. Mine used to be 2-3 hours, it's much longer since I switched to the PB way of eating (like 6-12 hours depending on what and how much I ate).

Eat fat and/or protein with every meal (including snacks).

Oh! I almost forgot... I've noticed it seems that alot of protein and very low carbs can trigger hypoglycemia in people who say they've never had it before. You might want to look at your ratios of protein/fat/carbs and play with it a bit to find what works best for you.
    Last edited by Danielle5690; 07-03-2012 at 12:49 PM.

DebbieL is offline Junior Member
    Thanks so much for all the help. You guys are awesome.

Could there be a backlog of hunger? Like, even if I ate a big meal today, my serial under-eating from before could still be causing light-headedness now, even though I recently fueled?

I had been traveling, pushing a double stroller with a full backpack, lugging stuff on/off buses, much of it on an empty stomach.... thought my body could pull through in fat-burning mode.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    If you've only been strict for a month, it's possible your body hasn't completed the shift in to "fat-burning mode" yet. Eat at regular intervals for a couple more months (4-5 hours, or whatever your faintness threshold is). When you've gone a long time without an episode, test yourself to see if you can last a longer interval.

Bouts of mild hypoglycemic symptoms seem like they might be part of the "low-carb flu" for some people.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Also, with all that schlepping around- you're going to be hungry for a while. Your body can use a lot of itself, but it needs outside food, too.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your body will need time to adjust. You are definitely experiencing hypoglycemia. If you include more carbs, you may have an easier time. It might take some experimenting to find the best level for you to get by without that feeling, for now. If you ever want to go low-carb (below 50g, let's say), make sure to get enough/plenty of protein. I found that helped me get over my hypoglycemia, which I primarily experienced when I was eating grains regularly.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast