Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Looking for Homemade Bread Tips (Gluten Free, Not Primal)

Hybrid View

Looking for Homemade Bread Tips (Gluten Free, Not Primal)

Alright, this is probably the wrong place to put this, but I'm a dude, and I'm new to baking and I'm fairly clueless. On rare occasion, I like to have my burger and bun too. I'm not a carbohydrate hater, but I do avoid most all grains all the time (especially being celiac). That said, last night I baked my first loaf of bread, ever, and it turned out pretty freaking good.

I'm looking for suggestions of what to change, what to try, and how to come up with a gluten free bread that I can use on occasion that is better than store bought crap (which seems to be pretty easy to do). What I baked was partially borrowed from online sources and the rest made up, since when in doubt, I like to mix up a bunch of crap and dive right in just to see what happens.

What I used:
    1.25 cups of Sweet Sorghum and Amaranth Flours mixed 50/50
    1.25 cups of Quinoa Flour
    2 Tablespoons of Tupelo Honey
    1 Tablespoon of Orange Blossom Honey
    2 Teaspoons of Xanthan Gum
    1/2 cup of Tapioca Starch
    1.5 Teaspoons of Cane Sugar
    .75 Teaspoons of Salt
    2 Eggs
    3 Tablespoons of butter
    Almost 2 cups of water
    1.5 Tablespoons of Yeast

Baked @ 350 for 50 minutes, which was over kill, 40 probably would have gotten it to 170 degrees.

I was going for something almost like a Honey Oat bread (using Quinoa instead of Oats). I do NOT like the taste of rice flour at all, and decided to use Sorghum and Amaranth due to those two being heartier and Amaranth having a lower carbohydrate content. Frankly, for never baking bread before, it turned out pretty freaking good. I took some over to my parents and even my mother liked it (and she has baked a TON, just never gluten free). It even slices well and holds together AWESOME. But, it's more like a pound cake type consistency and texture (springy/spongy). I assume it's probably the nature of the beast and using Tapioca Starch?

Anyway, for those of us out there that still bake from time to time, refuse to use rancid nuts and make an effort to avoid all gluten, teach me your ways because when football season rolls around I want to be able to grill out like a "normal" person again for once in my life.

They say that apple cider vinegar is key in gf baked items. And i think using some egg whites might make it lighter and fluffier.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams