Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk me down from a terrible nutrition plan! page 3

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    OMG if people eat like that, I can see why they get allergic to all kind of foods... I have even heard about people getting allergic to eggs because they only ate the egg whites for a long time without the healthy yolk. So combining that with weird supplements could easily be a road to disaster
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

fatisyummy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    If you do not have the energy it is a bad sign, something else to watch out for. I would seriously consider increasing your calories at the expense of either protein (are you getting 1 to 1.5 g per lb body weight a day?) or non-sweet starch (unless you are over 1 g per lb of BW a day). Unless your energy comes up once you break the anaerobic barrier into aerobic zone? It is typical for me to have the first 4 to 8 min of cardio challenging, and then once the aerobics kicks in, good and high. When i run sprints I walk 4 min, then I jog 8 min before setting to my 10 windsprints. Also, are you trying to do aerobics in a naturally bad time for you during the day's cycle? Like going to Family Zumba class at 6 pm is the hardest thing I do in my week, but I do it because my daughter loves it. What's your energy ebb and flow? I generally prefer not to exercise after 4 pm (since it is 12 hours since getting up time). Do you still have the 2 pm-4 pm sugar low?

I am sorry if my questions sound silly, and too nit-picky, but I found that there is a pattern and if I schedule meals and workouts to go with that pattern I do really well and feel my best.

You put your finger on it! Exactly what I want as well. Don't pay attention to males that talk hypothetical cases. Yours is in the mirror. Their comments is like me going into some man's thread and telling someone who is trying to improve his physique, that I actually find men boobs and love handles very appealing at 16% BF on a man. Someone linked to the 'real women' body images facebook page, and one can see very clearly that depending on the pattern of the fat deposition pattern some women look terrific at the same weight and height that other women do not. There is absolutely no reason why anyone who wants to improve her (or his for that matter) appearance and want to look athletic rather than plump and jiggly should be snubbed for it.

And no, the jiggle does not go away with just lifting and proper eating at maintenance or IF or LeanGain for everyone. I am 3+ years into self-experimenting, sometimes with detrimental results, sometimes with positive results.
    I have to admit, I've had a lot of trouble really sticking to things any more. It seems like I've tried a whole bunch of different things: upping fats, upping protein, upping starches, IF, lots of small meals. I just have this point that my body wants to be at and keeps going back to. I've kept meticulous track of my food for years and have tried to make sense out of how I was doing at any given time in relation to what I was eating.

Energy levels are, well, normal. For other people. I'm a pretty high energy person, and I can say that as of late, in trying to eat lower calorie, my energy levels are not normal for me. I do have to qualify the statement I made earlier about not having the energy to go out dancing: that activity doesn't really usually pick up until around 9:30 or 10 at night. I used to go out all of the time, but seem to just be done doing anything by 7:30 these nights.

What I do know:

Go too low in calories for 3 days in a row: 4th day I WILL be taken over by some spirit that compels me to drive to the store, buy a bag of nuts, and eat no fewer than 3000 calories worth of those nuts on the drive home.

Go too low in fat: cranky, but weight moves because calories are easier to keep lower

Go too high in protein: major headaches; the whole lean protein diet is one major splitting headache for me

Go too low in carbs: I feel like I'm moving under water all of the time and really can't sustain myself the way I want to. This is the observation I have the hardest time with, as I want it to be true that I can simply eat all of the meat and fat I want and perform awesomely in life and at the gym. Also, I have carbphobia.

I have been eating higher fat, a la bulletproof. Which, honestly, makes me feel really good (and I do mean really good), but doesn't lead to weight loss, at all for me. I can't do high fat, lower calorie.

I'm torn on what to try. Part of me really wants to go whole hog into bulletproof style eating and see how I fare on like a steak and a stick of butter a day. I love the coffee, and I know mentally I'd feel pretty good, but I also don't think I'd lose at all. Part of me wants to scale back the fat, up the lean protein, up the veggies. Then I hear about people having success with starches, and that's what the trainer has been recommending.

I just want to find something that works and I want to relax and not obsess anymore about my food!

I can appreciate the input of the folks that come in here to say what they find desirable. On the one hand, I want to hit you guys and say, "shut up, I'm trying to do what I'm trying to do, rawr!" On the other, I would like to hug you for recognizing how unrealistic we can sometimes get when we're bombarded with images of half starved, dehydrated, photo shopped models at every turn. Afterall, they are eating egg whites and butter spray, gross!
    Last edited by fatisyummy; 07-04-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I have very similar experiences, but I never have problems with headaches on high protein - I am doing over 170 g protein a day at the moment with 25-35% fat and about 60g carb. I guess I am lucky, because I have no aversion to low fat anything. In fact I like low fat dairy, and never really liked butter, and still can't stand bacon.

2 to 3 days in a row is enough on low calories, then you need a relatively high calorie day. I usually try to stay low calorie (~ 1200-1400 cals) on non-lifting days and slightly higher on lifting, and, again, slightly higher on Sat and Sun. My high carb day is Saturday. My personal experiences was always bad with high fat-high protein, I can't take it. I tried fat fast two or three times on butter and macadamia nuts, and broke down by 4 pm at the latest. Anabolic diet landed me in emergency room 2 months in (and not losing weight). Carb cycling was the most successful thing I tried, but I find summer to be the hardest in terms of losing fat. By whatever reason, for the third year in a row, come May-June, my appetite goes up, and I gain weight like I convert air to fat.

I often want to quit, but in the end, I can't. I am about to abandon paleo eating to be honest, in favor of adding back legumes and whey isolate, and yeah, artificial sweeteners as a result & stop feeling like a criminal every time I eat dairy. I wouldn't worry about butter spray. It is like jello. If you don't want it, don't eat it. It's a flavoring agent, that is all, for people who don't care about chemical intake.
    Last edited by Leida; 07-04-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

cookie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatisyummy View Post

WAKE UP: Drink an Advocare Spark energy drink and Coreplex

TRAIN/CARDIO: Do 30 minutes of any non weight baring cardio in the 65% max heart rate zone three days. Two other days do #20, #26 or #27

MEAL ONE: Eat 4 egg whites with 1 slice of Rudi’s gluten free bread with for pump of spray butter. If you lft in the a.m. then drop brad and eat 2 Tbsp of cream of rice

MEAL TWO: Eat 3 oz of tuna with 1/3 cup of diced avocado mixed with 1 heaping Tbsp of salsa

SNACK: Eat 2 cups of raw green, yellow or white veggies dipped in a mixed of 1 Tbsp of Olive oil and balsamic and a plain rice cake

MEAL THREE: Eat a 2 cup Romaine or spinach lettuce salad with 1/2 cup of diced red, green and yellow peppers, 3 cherry tomatoes, 3 baby carrots with balsamic vinegar as vinegar. Shoulder and back days add 4 hard boiled egg whites

DRINK: Spark and eat 3 strawberries of medium size

TRAIN/CARDIO: Three days do 20 minute outdoor bleacher or stair run followed by 10, 40 yard sprints. Two days do 20 minutes on the step mill utilizing different strides and speeds then run a 1/2 mile at 4% incline. One night i want a class or boot camp

MEAL FOUR: Eat 4 oz of chicken with 1 oz of flank with 2/3 cup of brown rice and glutamine. If you train in the a.m then make the rice 1/3 cup

MEAL FIVE: Eat another 3 oz of tuna with 10 banana pepper rings or jalapeņos

SNACK: Drink a 30 gram low carb low fat protein shake of your choice or eat 6 egg whites and take Advocares Night Time Recovery

Order the advocare products at www advocare.com/110918110
    TAKE DAILY (for now)

• Take Coreplex

• Take 400 mgs of Vitamin E

• Drink a minimum of 2.0 gallons of water daily

• Whole, organic, or fresh foods are better than frozen, frozen is better than canned

• 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night and 8 to 10 on the weekends if at all possible

• Take a recommended dose of Milk Thistle daily for next four weeks,.
    gross! egg WHITES? what a waste of something awesome that a chicken made for you!
    that sounds like a horrible diet, and nothing sounds satiating, tasty, or good.
    this is total CW BS and you totally know it! follow your gut (no pun intended) and keep on the delicious bacon-paved paleo path.
    ps is this lady selling those suppliments to you? spark, advocare...

Hmm, I have to play a bit more with the protein. I like it up to a point. I mean, I do find it satiating, but in the past, whenever I have gotten up around 150g, I get headaches. The times I've done that have been pretty low fat and I would use things like lowfat cottage cheese, yogurt, whey protein, etc. I know I would wind up face first in a bag of nuts that way too. I think maybe I'm going to just try to get back to basics with lean(ish) proteins and veggies and see how I do.

I was just at the store and picked up a Lindt 90% bar 3 times before putting it back. I would prefer to not be that way and to relax, but I'm at a heavy weight for myself and need to reign it in. On the other hand, I don't think I can actually remember the last time I had ice cream, a candy bar, or any dessert other than a square or two of 90%+ chocolate. Maybe one time I had 3 squares. Omg I was totally living it up. I have even cut out booze for the last 6 months, to no effect.

Why is it so easy to overeat?!

It is easy to over-eat because you are designed to overeat. There are also individual triggers that increase appetite. I think most of us witnessed how grains substantially increase the appetite. But for me it is also fructose.

Anyway, I found beans to be as good as ever for satiation. I also got whey isolate yesterday. I am officially not paleo no more. It's been a very good week, with slight over-eating, I am about 1500-1600 cals a day when targeting 1200-1400. Maintenance. No cravings, except emotional that were easily bypassed by the staple mind tricks.

I am also reading 50 Ways To Soothe Yourself Without Food, and that book is a keeper. I think it is going to help my over-eating problem (I am an after dinner wind-down over-eater sort of a person). I will try a couple of tricks from that book once I am back from vacations and see if I can shut down the cups of tea galore.

From my experience, I could not sustain just meat and veggies for a long time. It is mentally difficult and punishing. Most regimens that go beyond 4 weeks include the over-feed day that actually ask you to cheat and eat junk food 1nce a week to 1nce every 10 days. That triggers hormones that trick your body into thinking that the times are not lean, so you do not need to conserve fat. 4 Hour Body is having a particularly colorful account and chapter about it

I have tried it both ways, with complete avoidance of anything but meat and vegetables (I believe I made it to 40 days) and with over-eating days. Makes no frigging difference, so might as well enjoy yourself. The most reliable fat loss I have achieved, but not sustainable was on the Ultimate Diet 2.0 and it had a mega-overeating day, and mega starvation days. It is cycling on steroids.

Leida, how were your energy levels when you ate pure meat + veggies? I actually don't have too much trouble sticking to that diet, if I can have all the calories and fat I want, but then I don't see results. I just struggle with keeping lower calories, which seems to be necessary to get lean. This is why I wanted to work with a trainer for 6 weeks. I figured, it's 6 weeks, I can do what they say for that long. Apparently I can't, because I'm pretty sure I would commit some sort of heinous crime on that diet.

When I did just meat and vegetables, I was feeling like a champ physically, and in a matter of 2 weeks, my calories started to fall down and down. I was able to fill full on 1300 rather than 1600 cals a day. It is weird. I felt great, but I could not continue it without getting deeply depressed. I supplement serotonine now (5HTTP), but I still think I have a problem in this department, despite the huge improvement.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    OK, I can see why you want to look that way, but I dunno- what do those women look like after 10 years or so of that type of program? How do they eat? Do they still enjoy exercise?

I look at my own struggles today and just feel like things would be easier had I not wrecked my body with low cal/low fat and exercise burn out. I might try a cycle or two of it, but really, maybe the best option is finding a way to love the healthy 20% body fat person you are when eating a healthy Primal diet.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    OK, I can see why you want to look that way, but I dunno- what do those women look like after 10 years or so of that type of program? How do they eat? Do they still enjoy exercise?

I look at my own struggles today and just feel like things would be easier had I not wrecked my body with low cal/low fat and exercise burn out. I might try a cycle or two of it, but really, maybe the best option is finding a way to love the healthy 20% body fat person you are when eating a healthy Primal diet.
    I think there's some merit in some acceptance of a healthy body that isn't fitness magazine cover worthy, you are right. And I think you're right, long term, I'm guessing these ladies don't fare awesomely.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast