Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk me down from a terrible nutrition plan! page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    This diet plugs in at something like 1000 calories/day with intense cardio training. I am 5'3, 130lb, ~20% BF.

I think I just need to try eating less of what I currently do. I'm not sure why I am struggling with that so much. I get hungry during the day and tell myself it's ok to eat a little more, I'll just try not to have such a big dinner. But then that never happens. I currently eat ~1600-1800 calories/day and I definitely don't lose there.
    That is because at 20% BF you have hit the normal/average body fat. Lower than that requires controlled food shortage. Lower than that is uncomfortable. Your body do not like being that unless you are a lucky genetic type. You getting hungry means simply that you are healthy. I am 5'6 and 1/2", I am ~ 120-122 lbs, ~ 18% BF on the WW scale (about 18-22% from measurements), and the past 3 years I experimented with everything under the sun, and the conclusion is the same: I trend upward and fattier if I don't go hungry for part of the day. Because my sleep is the most important thing, I put my best and most abundant food into supper and eat just to stave off hunger until then. IF did not do a thing for me, apart from inducing binging. I am experimenting with no sugars and adding beans back in as lean protein and superior starch source.

I eat both whole eggs (1 a day) and egg whites (a LOT from the carton), and both full fat meat and super-low fat protein to average about 20-30% BF. It is a compromise. It is not easy. It gets harder the older you get. It sucks. The alternative is a slow descent into fat because that's the way the nature designed us....

I would seriously advise you against a lot of cardio load without weights, particularly if you are prone to losing UB muscle (which most women are). I have achieved an 'enviable' physique of a concentration camp victim above the waist-line that way while still sporting thunder thighs. Now, i watch for signs of catabolism like a hawk! I'd rather choke on protein than have thread-thin arms again.
    Last edited by Leida; 07-03-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I'm sorry but I cringed at the first shake and then completely dropped out after the spray butter. I wouldn't touch this diet with a 10-foot pole.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm sorry but I cringed at the first shake and then completely dropped out after the spray butter. I wouldn't touch this diet with a 10-foot pole.
    Lol. Yeah, you lost me on the energy drink.

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    heh, Advocare... I took that, stuff is INSANELY expensive for what it is, junk! At my old gym, where the owner who had the body of a young Arnold, sold me on that stuff. It didn't do me a stitch of good, I actually gained 10 lbs and it wasn't muscle and I was working out almost daily! My bank account was over $1k lighter after one year of supplements from them.

fatisyummy is online now Member
    Thanks to all for their advice and validation that um, yeah, spray butter, WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    That is because at 20% BF you have hit the normal/average body fat. Lower than that requires controlled food shortage. Lower than that is uncomfortable. Your body do not like being that unless you are a lucky genetic type. You getting hungry means simply that you are healthy. I am 5'6 and 1/2", I am ~ 120-122 lbs, ~ 18% BF on the WW scale (about 18-22% from measurements), and the past 3 years I experimented with everything under the sun, and the conclusion is the same: I trend upward and fattier if I don't go hungry for part of the day. Because my sleep is the most important thing, I put my best and most abundant food into supper and eat just to stave off hunger until then. IF did not do a thing for me, apart from inducing binging. I am experimenting with no sugars and adding beans back in as lean protein and superior starch source.

I eat both whole eggs (1 a day) and egg whites (a LOT from the carton), and both full fat meat and super-low fat protein to average about 20-30% BF. It is a compromise. It is not easy. It gets harder the older you get. It sucks. The alternative is a slow descent into fat because that's the way the nature designed us....

I would seriously advise you against a lot of cardio load without weights, particularly if you are prone to losing UB muscle (which most women are). I have achieved an 'enviable' physique of a concentration camp victim above the waist-line that way while still sporting thunder thighs. Now, i watch for signs of catabolism like a hawk! I'd rather choke on protein than have thread-thin arms again.
    Thanks, Leida, for chiming in on my thread. I know you have worked really hard to figure out what works for you in the same sort of goals. I think you are right, sub 20% means being uncomfortable. I'm similar with IF inducing binging. I will be interested to hear how the starches go for you. No worries on cardio: I hate it. I like lifting. There's something rewarding about increasing weights. Running faster? Big whoop. I consider dancing good enough for cardio, but on a super restricted diet I find I don't have the energy to make myself go. I do end up doing a lot of body weight exercises through my other hobby, which is aerial silks.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Why do you want to look like a fitness model?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

fatisyummy is online now Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    Why do you want to look like a fitness model?
    Ok, maybe I don't wish to be that extremely lean. I would like to lose some of the softness I currently have and be firmer and leaner.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatisyummy View Post
    Ok, maybe I don't wish to be that extremely lean. I would like to lose some of the softness I currently have and be firmer and leaner.
    Speaking as a man, 18% bf is what I find most attractive in a female. I think that should be the absolute MINIMUM you are going for. 20-25% is a much healthier range to my mind.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Speaking as a man, 18% bf is what I find most attractive in a female. I think that should be the absolute MINIMUM you are going for. 20-25% is a much healthier range to my mind.
    And since this is brought up, as a man I would rather have a girl that looks to be in good shape but have somewhat of a softer body than a girl that is ripped. Fitness comp girls are way too low in body fat for my liking to be honest.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Leida, for chiming in on my thread. I know you have worked really hard to figure out what works for you in the same sort of goals. I think you are right, sub 20% means being uncomfortable. I'm similar with IF inducing binging. I will be interested to hear how the starches go for you. No worries on cardio: I hate it. I like lifting. There's something rewarding about increasing weights. Running faster? Big whoop. I consider dancing good enough for cardio, but on a super restricted diet I find I don't have the energy to make myself go. I do end up doing a lot of body weight exercises through my other hobby, which is aerial silks.
    If you do not have the energy it is a bad sign, something else to watch out for. I would seriously consider increasing your calories at the expense of either protein (are you getting 1 to 1.5 g per lb body weight a day?) or non-sweet starch (unless you are over 1 g per lb of BW a day). Unless your energy comes up once you break the anaerobic barrier into aerobic zone? It is typical for me to have the first 4 to 8 min of cardio challenging, and then once the aerobics kicks in, good and high. When i run sprints I walk 4 min, then I jog 8 min before setting to my 10 windsprints. Also, are you trying to do aerobics in a naturally bad time for you during the day's cycle? Like going to Family Zumba class at 6 pm is the hardest thing I do in my week, but I do it because my daughter loves it. What's your energy ebb and flow? I generally prefer not to exercise after 4 pm (since it is 12 hours since getting up time). Do you still have the 2 pm-4 pm sugar low?

I am sorry if my questions sound silly, and too nit-picky, but I found that there is a pattern and if I schedule meals and workouts to go with that pattern I do really well and feel my best.

You put your finger on it! Exactly what I want as well. Don't pay attention to males that talk hypothetical cases. Yours is in the mirror. Their comments is like me going into some man's thread and telling someone who is trying to improve his physique, that I actually find men boobs and love handles very appealing at 16% BF on a man. Someone linked to the 'real women' body images facebook page, and one can see very clearly that depending on the pattern of the fat deposition pattern some women look terrific at the same weight and height that other women do not. There is absolutely no reason why anyone who wants to improve her (or his for that matter) appearance and want to look athletic rather than plump and jiggly should be snubbed for it.

And no, the jiggle does not go away with just lifting and proper eating at maintenance or IF or LeanGain for everyone. I am 3+ years into self-experimenting, sometimes with detrimental results, sometimes with positive results.
    Last edited by Leida; 07-04-2012 at 06:32 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast