Thread: Flavor Is Price of Scarlet Hue of Tomatoes, Study Finds page

Grok is offline Senior Member

Flavor Is Price of Scarlet Hue of Tomatoes, Study Finds

Now, in a paper published in the journal Science, researchers report that the very gene that was inactivated by that mutation plays an important role in producing the sugar and aromas that are the essence of a fragrant, flavorful tomato. And these findings provide a road map for plant breeders to make better-tasting, evenly red tomatoes.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/29/sc...=MYWAY&ei=5065

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    #s 2 & 4 belong on my plate now pls
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

julie43 is offline Junior Member
    Tomatoland, by Barry Estabrook - I live in Florida and I am just getting into this book (Florida is a major grower of tomatoes), I always try to buy my tomatoes from a farmers market- but they are still so ....dull. When I am able to grow my own the difference is astounding. Tomatoes are one of my top favorite foods, it is difficult to get really good ones. Far to often I 'settle' so I dont jave none. I hate that.

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I buy Dutch grown Heirloom tomatoes from Lidl, which are USDA certified organic so presumably they are exported to USA as well. They aren't all uniform shapes, sizes or colours and have different flavours.

Commercial growers in the EU can only grow approved varieties of produce and it is expensive to go through this process.

The worry is that old varieties will die out so there is a National Fruit Collection farm for example and various associations which send out free seeds to members for them to grow at home.

As to GM in the EU, currently it's banned and as the general public is very much against it (and GM has to be labelled) I don't see it becoming a factor unless Europeans in all 27 countries get complacent.
    Last edited by Artichoke; 07-11-2012 at 04:48 PM.