Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: The BENCH PRESS is USELESS! page 3

  1. #21
    StackingPlates's Avatar
    StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    456
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by pdjesson View Post
    Yeah, I've been reflecting on this a little recently and agree, so much emphasis on bench is overrated. I would also put too much work on 'guns'/biceps in the same category. Is this blasphemous? You tell me!
    Putting bench press and bicep isolation movements in the same category is a bit ridiculous. Bicep hypertrophy can be stimulated to a great degree with weighted pull-ups among other things. Most folks don't have any need to isolate biceps until they are very far along in their training experience.

  2. #22
    pdjesson's Avatar
    pdjesson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Burton, Staffs., UK
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    Putting bench press and bicep isolation movements in the same category is a bit ridiculous. Bicep hypertrophy can be stimulated to a great degree with weighted pull-ups among other things. Most folks don't have any need to isolate biceps until they are very far along in their training experience.
    Sorry, I'm specifically referring to the the focus on biceps through variations of curls, like many regular gym users, who aren't body-builders, do. I also get the feeling that there are many people who work these muscles (chest & biceps) thinking it makes them hard...
    All the best!

    PDJ

    The quieter you become the more you're able to hear.

    Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

  3. #23
    StackingPlates's Avatar
    StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    456
    In that case...yes, those folks are basically wasting their life.

  4. #24
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,148
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    Well, everything in context right? One could follow that same logic and make cases against just about every bodybuilding lift in existence.
    You see....this is the part I disagree with, at least in regards to the compound movements. I actually can NOT logically make the same case against squats, dead lifts, OH press, Pull ups, or rows. I wouldn't even try. Otherwise this would be a non-issue where you could just say..."look you lay on your back and push a bunch of weight straight off your chest every day as a part of life right?". Can't quite use that quote though can we? Doesn't roll of the tongue like "Do you squat to sit?"

  5. #25
    StackingPlates's Avatar
    StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    456
    But do you typically put a big amount of weight on your shoulders before you sit in daily activities? I think where our disconnect may reside is at the practical application of the movement. I'm not really into arguing how realistic the movement applies to real life scenarios.

    Your injury would be good enough to make a case against heavy chest pressing movements. Similarly, if you blew out your knee then I'd feel that sprints may be something you'd want to proceed cautiously with.

    I'm valuing chest presses in their ability to cause upper body hypertrophy. The fact that your dramatic thread title calls them useless is what got me to comment in the first place.

  6. #26
    Alex Good's Avatar
    Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Maritimes
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    But do you typically put a big amount of weight on your shoulders before you sit in daily activities? I think where our disconnect may reside is at the practical application of the movement. I'm not really into arguing how realistic the movement applies to real life scenarios.
    Squatting is also the same movement used for jumping and I'm quite sure many of us jump regularly. Yes, jumping is a power based movement but strength is half of the power equation. So heavy squats = useful.
    If a log heavy enough to require a 300lbs bench press falls on you then you're probably already dead. At the very least you would be in no shape to lift anything at that point.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

  7. #27
    tfarny's Avatar
    tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,478
    The bench is popular because it's an official powerlifting move, the only upper body one, and the one that builds big arms and pecs, which have become popularized due to bodybuilding (and being highly visible muscles). Nobody is really making a 'functional' argument for the bench press that I can see. Even Rip says that properly weighted pushups may be a better exercise, but 'you are going to bench anyhow, so bench it is'. I'm just getting my bench past bodyweight, it's probably my strongest lift, so I hate to hate on it, but it is clearly the least "functional" of the big lifts.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  8. #28
    skorpion317's Avatar
    skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    lol...well being a wrestler for 16 years I can say that big chest muscles in my opponent never gave me pause. Your grip, how you use your hips, and pull strength are far more important. Chest...meh, good for showing off at the gym.
    Being a wrestler for 14 years, I can think of a few situations where you'd need a specific bench press-type movement:

    1. You get taken down by your opponent, and need to push up to recover your base.
    2. Preventing your opponent from breaking your base down.
    3. Tying up with your opponent - I like to push them around a bit to get them to come back at me, setting up a throw or a shot.
    4. Blocking a shot (if you don't sprawl).
    SW (1/4/12): 326 lbs. (48% BF)
    Steak and Eggs SW (5/11/13): 198 lbs.
    CW (6/2/13): 185.4 lbs. (??% BF)
    GW: 185 lbs. (~15% BF)
    0.4 lbs. to go, ??% BF to go

  9. #29
    Apex Predator's Avatar
    Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,355
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    The bench is popular because it's an official powerlifting move, the only upper body one, and the one that builds big arms and pecs, which have become popularized due to bodybuilding (and being highly visible muscles). Nobody is really making a 'functional' argument for the bench press that I can see. Even Rip says that properly weighted pushups may be a better exercise, but 'you are going to bench anyhow, so bench it is'. I'm just getting my bench past bodyweight, it's probably my strongest lift, so I hate to hate on it, but it is clearly the least "functional" of the big lifts.
    Yup, and it replaced the (true) press because of how much of a pain strict press is to judge, and also due to BB influence.

  10. #30
    NicMcCool's Avatar
    NicMcCool is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    178
    PrimalCon New York
    You ever had sex with a really heavy person? Like REALLY heavy. Like turn sideways to fit through a garage door heavy. Then that person passes out on top of you after dripping sweat in your face for an hour. Unless you can successfully press them off of you you'll most likely die of fat fold induced asphyxiation. Thus, bench press saves lives, dudes.
    I've got of one them journal thingies. One Night At McCool's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •