Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beef dripping page

JonnyH is offline Senior Member

Beef dripping

Shop Now
    Hi
    So how does the beef dripping in the link below look as a good fat source to cook with or just eat?

living in the ice age: Britannia Beef Dripping

Itís very cheap in our supermarket, my only concern is whether the fat is from grain fed cattle, if it is then is it still ok?
    I thought itís the fat from non-organic meat that is bad for us.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    I use this for cooking and it doesn't taste of much. I don't know of any organic versions but I'm always on the look out.

Reality is that in the UK most cattle are fed GM grain or feed. Waitrose is the only UK supermarket to stipulate that farmers must not feed GM feed for any of their ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    I use this for cooking and it doesn't taste of much. I don't know of any organic versions but I'm always on the look out.

Reality is that in the UK most cattle are fed GM grain or feed. Waitrose is the only UK supermarket to stipulate that farmers must not feed GM feed for any of their ranges.
    Thanks for reply, so maybe not such a good fat source!

You made me curious so I called the manufacturer but the Quality Control person is on vacation this week so I will call next week as I was told she can tell me exactly where the dripping comes from in Uk and how it's made.

You made me curious so I called the manufacturer but the Quality Control person is on vacation this week so I will call next week as I was told she can tell me exactly where the dripping comes from in Uk and how it's made.
    Be good to hear what they say, thanks.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Keep us posted! At present I use organic fat from my butcher and render it down. I used to use Brittania many years ago - it makes lovely chips! But for years now, it has been the home render route. And my butcher GIVES me the fat - either beef or pork, I never know which I will be getting.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Aw, yeah, Breadsauce ... lovely chips! I keep a a small fryer (1 pint) and a tub of dripping in the fridge for a crafty portion of chips every now and again. That's "fries" for US readers - well, fat fries, anyway.

Dripping - it's a fat.

Know where your "extra virgin olive oil" comes from? It's not as pure as you think. Know where your "pure coconut oil" comes from ... again, not as pure as you think.

These are fats that come from industrial production - they are NOT paleo. No fat from industrial production is. This is what I find so odd about "paleo pure" - eating lean meats. Where the heck do you get the fat from? I want fatty meats!

Truth be told, I eat lean meats wetted up with dripping or coconut oil; veggies wetted up with dripping. I eat fatty meat otherwise and don't really add much else by way of fat.

Mark's recent fat adapted article is really useful: What Does it Mean to Be Fat-Adapted? | Mark's Daily Apple

Back to Johnny H - Britannia dripping is fat. It's a good fat and holds a profile superior to almost all other fats - grass fed, or not. It's fat. Don't worry about the grass fed thing - chances are the grass fed thing is smoke and mirrors anyway. Domestication ain't paleo neither - whatcha going do?

I got dripping in a jar today from Waitrose for 79p on offer.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Our local farm shop sells containers of it really cheap.

Britannia brand is readily available in most supermarkets - it might not be perfect, but it is better than most fats.

Called Nortech Foods and spoke to the woman in Quality Control, Leanne, who is going to find out as much as she can about the cattle the dripping comes from and get back to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast