Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beef dripping page 2

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    Called Nortech Foods and spoke to the woman in Quality Control, Leanne, who is going to find out as much as she can about the cattle the dripping comes from and get back to me.
    Thanks for that!

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Just an FYI folks, rendered beef fat is called tallow, pig fat is lard, dripping would be what you would have if you had a hunk of meat roasting on a rack in the oven and caught the dripping meat juices and fat in a tray below.
    It tends to be softer and more flavorsome than pure rendered fat, at least it does when I make it.

In theory all good sources of fat, though I wouldn't buy it if it has been hydrogenated. To be honest I just wouldn't but lard, tallow or dripping as it is so easy to make your own and it tastes better :-)
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Misabi in the UK we can buy 500g blocks of beef dripping in supermarkets.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Misabi in the UK we can buy 500g blocks of beef dripping in supermarkets.
    Yeah, we can get tubs of lard & dripping cheap here too. But as I said before, how it's been processed would concern me...
    And as dripping is the by product of roasting a big hunk of delicious meat, why not do it at home and then have both to enjoy

I can't vouch for this being scientific fact, but it's similar to what I've read in other places: Lard: The New Health Food? | Food & Wine
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Our dripping from the fat the comes out of mutton flaps, pigs heads and rolled roasts.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    You made me curious so I called the manufacturer but the Quality Control person is on vacation this week so I will call next week as I was told she can tell me exactly where the dripping comes from in Uk and how it's made.
    Any response? I see many versions of this is supermarket but I am not interested if it is processed, thanks

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyH View Post
    Hi
    So how does the beef dripping in the link below look as a good fat source to cook with or just eat?

living in the ice age: Britannia Beef Dripping

It’s very cheap in our supermarket, my only concern is whether the fat is from grain fed cattle, if it is then is it still ok?
    I thought it’s the fat from non-organic meat that is bad for us.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    The Britannia looks a bit white. AFAIK, beef dripping from real grass-fed animals is yellowish in colour, because of the carotenoids in it. Is grain-fed fat a problem and why? Depends who you ask, I guess. One take on it:

Splendor From the Grass - Weston A Price Foundation

Less intensively farmed is always better. AFAIK, Britain is better than the U.S. in that respect, and you can always buy organic, which should be cleaner but will cost more.

Anyway, possible alternatives -- you are paying more for all these, though:

Beef Dripping - 400g | Laverstoke Park Farm | Laverstoke Park Farm

Devon Rose Beef | Offal & Fats | Devon Tender Beef Dripping

Rother Valley Organics : Free Range Organic Produce Direct from the Farm

I guess hardcore primals would render fat themselves at home.

EDIT:

Oh, I'd missed that: Devon Rose sells beef suet. Suet is the fat from round the kidneys and loins, and traditionally the most prized of all.

http://www.devonrose.com/shop/beef/o...this-link.html
    Last edited by Lewis; 07-15-2012 at 02:55 AM.

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    I have just located this place online. Looks like I will be making my first purchase :-)

York Foods | Since 1935

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TARNIP View Post
    I have just located this place online. Looks like I will be making my first purchase :-)

York Foods | Since 1935
    Now that is cool. :-)

This looks good, too:

Pork Lard is made from selected fat from within a prime Australian swine
    York Foods | Since 1935

Just the thing to fry eggs in.

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Just an FYI folks, rendered beef fat is called tallow, pig fat is lard, dripping would be what you would have if you had a hunk of meat roasting on a rack in the oven and caught the dripping meat juices and fat in a tray below.

I couldn't imagine buying 'drippings' from a store. Where the heck would it come from? Restaurant waste, like biodiesel grease?? Industrial food production assembly lines??

After poking around a bit online, it seems that packaged dripping is more like tallow. Rendered, refined, etc. Not like homemade drippings from cooking meat. Maybe people just don't like the idea of buying tallow, so it's sold as homey old-fashioned drippings.
    Last edited by JBailey; 07-15-2012 at 05:58 AM.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast