Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Mcdougall rips apart the paleo diet - your thoughts? page 5

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    My brain doesn't process the science of all this so I don't even try. However, my eyes work pretty good so all I have to do is compare a picture of the skeletal, pasty and weak-looking Mr. & Mrs. McDougall with the absurdly fit, tan and healthy-looking Mr. & Mrs. Sisson and I know what tribe I'm joining.
    LOL while not very sciencey that is a good point at least there is a correlation there.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    And where did he get the info that Roman soldiers complained if they got too much meat??? Absolute rubbish. That alone makes all else he says questionable.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    There's definitely some truth to that. I don't know if its' the way his clothes fit, or what, but mcdougall looks "skinny fat" to me.

I also don't know his age compared to Mark and wife. I mean, they look about 15-20 years apart, but they could be only 7-15, you know?

I found that sort of photographic evidence really interesting. Older folks who consume more fat and LHT tend to look younger, longer. It's the hormones.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Appearance is a terrible way to argue things like this, especially with small sample sizes.

For instance, the guy below is a long time vegan who has to be very careful not to gain too much muscle so he can make weight. Genetics plays a huge role.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I wasn't really making an argument per se. There are plenty of great vegan athletes.

But, flip side, how many great looking fit, long-termers of a given WOE/WOL are there? Hard to tell. But what we do have for evidence (which includes things like the okinawan study) is that typically omnivorous diets do quite well for folks long-term.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    yeah, I see these ladies all the time that I wish I looked like, and they are filling their shopping carts or baskets with grapes, yogurts and granola.... ectomorphs... can eat whatever they want, can't help being gazelles. Gotta be born that way.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    yeah, I see these ladies all the time that I wish I looked like, and they are filling their shopping carts or baskets with grapes, yogurts and granola.... ectomorphs... can eat whatever they want, can't help being gazelles. Gotta be born that way.
    Indeed. Mesos, too.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Appearance is a terrible way to argue things like this, especially with small sample sizes.

For instance, the guy below is a long time vegan who has to be very careful not to gain too much muscle so he can make weight. Genetics plays a huge role.

True, but we're talking about the spokespeople for their particular diet philosophies. If the leaders of a food movement look like crap, that's not a very good advertisement.

CSilivestru is offline Member
    In the section called "The Paleo Diet a Nutritional Nightmare", McD makes the claim that "By nature, the Paleo Diet is based on artery-clogging saturated fats and cholesterol". Besides the fact that isn't true, this diet DOES NOT base itself on fat and cholesterol, to use the term artery-clogging saturated fats in this day an age shows a complete lack of awareness of the most recent research which is beginning to show no such correlation (not that one could ever be proven anyways). And while we're on the subject of research, from the same paragraph, McG continues by saying "Respected researchers find that those modern-day hunter-gather populations who base their diets on meat, such as the Inuits (Eskimos), suffer from heart disease and other forms of atherosclerosis, and those modern-day hunter-gathers who base their diets on plant foods (starches) are free of these diseases".

Now, I believed that statement to be absolutely ridiculous but he DID provide a source so let's go check it out. This is directly from the Conclusion as stated in the study's abstract. the only emphasis is made by me:

"High-carbohydrate diets, particularly in the form of high-glycemic index carbohydrate, have the ability to directly induce atherosclerosis. Based on anthropologic facts, the reason for these dietary-induced, insulin-mediated, atherogenic metabolic perturbations are suggested to be an insufficient adaptation to starch and sugars during human evolution. Restriction of insulinogenic food (starch and sugars) may help to prevent the development of atherosclerosis, one of the most common and costliest human diseases."

The studies says, in plain text, to limit starch because they are insulinogenic. Actually, the study appears to state the exact opposite of what McG explains in that paragraph.

So why should we not listen to him? Because he lies. It's right there. You could go and check the rest of his references but, if you lie once, I can't trust the rest of your arguments you present.

I'm really hoping I just mis-read this or something so please let me know if I did. I would consider it disgraceful to have such a well-known vegan activist resort to deception like this.

PS. It's ironic that he cites a study that goes against the very idea of his latest book "The Starch Solution"
    Living the primal lifestyle and loving it! On a constant quest of optimal health and living life to the fullest :-).

You can have excuses or results -- not both.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent* View Post
    so what are your thoughts about the studies he concluded that claimed that paleolithic people ate more starch and vegetable based foods?
    Some paleo peoples might have eaten more starches, if they were available & easy to collect. I personally feel better eating lots of veggies, high fat, moderate protein & some fruit. At certain times, I crave lots & lots of meat & fat, & other times, I crave huge salads & steamed veggies & less protein. Sometimes I want fruit, sometimes I want nothing to eat at all. It's pointless for us to say we know what paleo man definitely ate in the past, but I know what I ate in my past. Primal lifestyle works for me coz I believe in it (the science) & I feel good (the evidence).

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast