Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organic Bacon Ingredients page

zsz101 is offline Junior Member

Organic Bacon Ingredients

Hey All!

When I'm doing my grocery shopping and I swing by the organic/grass fed meats section at my local Wegmans, I'm always tempted to grab some of the organic bacon as well.

The only thing stopping me is that when I read the ingredients list, brown sugar is listed. I believe the nutrition label says there may be less than 2% of it, or something close to that, but I still avoid it since I generally stay away from simple sugar.

My question to all of you is, does the small amount of sugar in the bacon matter? I realize that bacon is a very primal food, and I do love it, but I have trouble finding organic bacon that doesn't contain ingredients that are not primal. There's another brand of organic bacon I've come across that doesn't contain sugar, but it has less than 2% of organic evaporated cane syrup. Does that matter?

Does anyone know of an organic bacon brand that contains nothing but pork and salt? All feedback is appreciated!

ZZ

MShelby is offline Junior Member
    I'm new to the whole Primal Blueprint scene, but one thing I have learned already is don't sweat the small stuff. Pretty much ever bacon I have seen has some level of sugar in it as part of the curing process. While I am sure non-sugar varieties exist they are few and far between. When you are talking less than 2% you are talking a very small amount that I do not think you should worry about. Of course I am new, so perhaps someone with more experience can shed some light on this.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    They are cured with sugar, but there is almost no sugar remaining in the finished product. Look at the nutritional facts, it should say 0g carbs. Which basically means less than .5g carbs per serving. In short knock your socks off, totally acceptable!
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    In fact feel free to mail me some, I haven't found bacon not cured with nitrates.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    In the UK my experience has been that it IS possible to buy bacon without sugar but it hasn't been possible to buy bacon without nitrates, even organic bacon. Then I discovered former Formula 1 world champion Jody Scheckter's Laverstoke Park Farm website and they have nitrate free bacon Also, members of The Soil Association get 10% off

MShelby is offline Junior Member
    There are a couple of shopping stores in my area that will probably carry Nitrate free bacon, like Whole Foods or PCC. But they could be PNW stores only. Another option may be Trader Joes... I think those are just about everywhere. I have never looked for Nitrate free bacon before though, so this is just a guess.

mneveux is offline Junior Member
    I just ordered some grass-fed, sugar-free bacon from US Wellness Meats and looking forward to trying it out.

U.S. Wellness Meats Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    The Path to Culinary Bliss: Home Cured Bacon

I use this recipe to make my own and smoke it with hickory. I do add pink curing salt but have done it without. Super easy.

Cheers

snoops is offline Senior Member
    I found an uncured, nitrate and nitrite free bacon by Oscar Meyer at Kroger. It was listed as a new product. Tastes like regular bacon to me!

zsz101 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you for the great responses everyone! Please let me know how the bacon from U.S. Wellness Meats is. I'd be interested in trying some!

Thanks,

ZZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast