Page 95 of 291 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 950 of 2906

Thread: waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal page 95

  1. #941
    badgergirl's Avatar
    badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,900
    Shop Now
    B: yoghurt, coffee
    L: pumpkin soup
    Party treat: dark chocolate cake
    D: chicken stirfry: beansprouts, red capsicum, baby corn, onion, broc, pineapple, carrot, rice wine, five spice, sesame oil, sweet chili sauce

    Over-privileged child birthday party in the foothills of the Macedon ranges. Day spent doing chores. So tired now in that Sunday night, school tomorrow kind of a way.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

  2. #942
    badgergirl's Avatar
    badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,900
    B: yoghurt, coffee
    L: leftover chicken; a date
    D: tortilla - eggs, capsicum, bacon, onion, spinach, boys have leftover potatoes and 'tasty' cheese, I have feta; yoghurt - the latest batch is soooo good

    I am sore. Why is it that push ups make my neck hurt? Am I doing it wrong? That said, I'm getting better at doing it wrong, so who knows. My legs are also feeling kind of heavy and sluggish. I've started squeezing random (flailing and slow) sprints into my days. If you are in Melbourne and see an uncoordinated woman moving erratically and at some speed in full office wear (invariably with a slip showing or some other random clothing malfunction), that'll be me. Please look the other way.

    I want bed days, but I don't want to use either my annual leave or my sick leave, both of which are accruing nicely. I'm staring at many weeks of full-time work and I'm not happy about it. Christmas feels a long way off. Equally, I want my current quilt to be finished, but I don't want to sew - an unsolvable conundrum.

    Husband is fired up about 3D printing, seeing it as a 'revenue stream' along with the RPG stuff. I find this heartbreaking. I don't want to crush him and lord knows we need revenue streams, but I've been here so many times before. He will spend hours, days, weeks developing this and it will go nowhere meaningful. The RPG stuff has made us about $2000 in three years, nice and all, but stacking shelves would have been a more profitable use of his time. He's 40 in a few weeks time and I fear he will never hold down a job again.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 09-09-2013 at 12:59 AM. Reason: change of dinner
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

  3. #943
    Dhansakdave's Avatar
    Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    1,985
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    What can I say? I like to buy and feed in bulk.
    You ain't kidding, partial to yoghurt then.....

    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I am sore. Why is it that push ups make my neck hurt? Am I doing it wrong? That said, I'm getting better at doing it wrong, so who knows. My legs are also feeling kind of heavy and sluggish. I've started squeezing random (flailing and slow) sprints into my days. If you are in Melbourne and see an uncoordinated woman moving erratically and at some speed in full office wear (invariably with a slip showing or some other random clothing malfunction), that'll be me. Please look the other way.
    I'd love to see they sprints....Trying to think why the press ups would cause neck ache, the only obvious thing I can think of is form!

    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Husband is fired up about 3D printing, seeing it as a 'revenue stream' along with the RPG stuff. I find this heartbreaking. I don't want to crush him and lord knows we need revenue streams, but I've been here so many times before. He will spend hours, days, weeks developing this and it will go nowhere meaningful. The RPG stuff has made us about $2000 in three years, nice and all, but staking shelves would have been a more profitable use of his time. He's 40 in a few weeks time and I fear he will never hold down a job again.
    You ain't gonna be able to retire on that revenue, good luck with that!

  4. #944
    badgergirl's Avatar
    badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    You ain't gonna be able to retire on that revenue, good luck with that!
    I will be working until the day I die at this rate - I've done the calculations.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

  5. #945
    badgergirl's Avatar
    badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    I'd love to see they sprints...
    Melbourne is a notoriously windy city. I mainly wear skirts and dresses rather than trousers. I've had too many Marilyn moments for comfort so now I nearly always wear a slip, but sometimes it, well, slips when I run. Oh, the hardships etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Trying to think why the press ups would cause neck ache, the only obvious thing I can think of is form!
    That's what I was worried about. Sit ups make my jaw and throat ache for much the same reason. The soreness is where the shoulders join the spine and leaves me feeling slightly queasy. I should probably ask husband to correct my form, but that's kind of humiliating so I avoid asking.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

  6. #946
    Misabi's Avatar
    Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Why is it that push ups make my neck hurt? Am I doing it wrong?
    Where are you looking when you're doing push-ups? Is your neck straight, in alignment with your spine and your face pointing at the floor? Or do you have your head up, looking in front of you? Watching tv or the kids perhaps?

    Also, to quote from another similar thread a while ago:

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Check out this video of push-up form, or just right-click and download it to your desktop to watch it. Regardless, be ready to lower the volume. It might help.

    Also, have someone who knows what a push-up should look like watch you do some. It can be very hard to self-analyze: "My back IS straight!" "...no, man. It's really not." Your form might be great to start, but flag after X number of reps. Someone watching you can help you to spot that point and fix it (and recognize what the fix feels like to you, so you can do it yourself from there on out).
    Last edited by Misabi; 09-09-2013 at 01:15 AM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  7. #947
    badgergirl's Avatar
    badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Where are you looking when you're doing push-ups? Is your neck straight, in alignment with your spine and your face pointing at the floor? Or do you have your head up, looking in front of you? Watching tv or the kids perhaps?
    I've been balancing on a fitball thing as I'm not strong enough to do a full push up (though I'm working on it), so on the way back up my neck - in fact my back - does arch up.

    Oh dear. I've watched the video. Thank you for reposting it for me. I fear I am full of crossfit fail. I shall try harder.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 09-09-2013 at 01:41 AM.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

  8. #948
    Dhansakdave's Avatar
    Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    1,985
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I will be working until the day I die at this rate - I've done the calculations.
    Not good, lotto win might be yer best way out....

    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Melbourne is a notoriously windy city. I mainly wear skirts and dresses rather than trousers. I've had too many Marilyn moments for comfort so now I nearly always wear a slip, but sometimes it, well, slips when I run. Oh, the hardships etc.
    Must be an absolute chore....My recollection of Melbourne weather, is being a bit 'changeable' at times, can't recall it being overly windy, mind you that was in 1989 and 1994, so it might have changed or my memory is toilet!

    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    That's what I was worried about. Sit ups make my jaw and throat ache for much the same reason. The soreness is where the shoulders join the spine and leaves me feeling slightly queasy. I should probably ask husband to correct my form, but that's kind of humiliating so I avoid asking.
    You might have to bite the bullet and ask, or have you got a mirror to hand check the old form?

    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Where are you looking when you're doing push-ups? Is your neck straight, in alignment with your spine and your face pointing at the floor? Or do you have your head up, looking in front of you? Watching tv or the kids perhaps?

    Also, to quote from another similar thread a while ago:
    That's what I should have advised, well said sir.

  9. #949
    Misabi's Avatar
    Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,681
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I've been balancing on a fitball thing as I'm not strong enough to do a full push up (though I'm working on it), so on the way back up my neck - in fact my back - does arch up.

    Oh dear. I've watched the video. Thank you for reposting it for me. I fear I am full of crossfit fail. I shall try harder.
    So your hands are on the ball, feet on the floor and trying tokeep your body straight?

    How low is the ball? Is your form better if you use something higher such as a chair or table?
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  10. #950
    badgergirl's Avatar
    badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,900
    Pushups are done with my knees/shins resting on the ball - I guess that is odd, but it sort of works. Focused on a relaxed neck and the stiffness does seem to be receding. Mental health day, today. As recorded here, it's been brewing for months. Slight allergy feeling (itchy eyes, nose and throat) and a bad night's sleep tipped me over the edge. Stayed home and sewed while watching crappy movies on husband's second screen - he was doing digital art on his first screen. Food wasn't full-on depression awful, but it wasn't great either.
    Big B: coffee x 2, yoghurt x 2, 1T p'nut butter
    L: nachos - corn chips, cheese, salsa, sour cream (see what I mean?)
    D: rump steak and stir-fried veggies (beansprouts, mini corn, onion, green beans)

    ETA: my jewellery arrived today.

    The necklace is a gift, but I'm keeping the earrings... most out of character but SHARK TEETH for SHARK WEEK! Can I hear a 'that's awesome?' Yes, I can. And the helterskelter shells? Dunno why, they just sang my name.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 09-10-2013 at 02:05 AM. Reason: added SHARK TEETH
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •