Page 73 of 317 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast

Thread: waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal page 73

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Part of it is we have one child. Once he's finished with something - barring grandkids/visiting small people from other families - it's really finished with. I'm not going to hold on to his toys for the sake of grandkids and/or house guests that may or may not ever come into existence. We do have a box of toys - duplo mostly - that are too young for him. I suspect that whatever oddments don't sell (I've just offloaded most of the Thomas stuff to the woman I replaced at work when she went on mat leave, the majority of duplo went to co-workers a year or so ago) each time small boy has a clear out will end up in the box in the shed.

I'm an obsessive seller/clearer outer married to a hoarder. I sometimes hold on to things I'd otherwise clear out just to keep a toehold in our house. Every shelf I clear, every drawer I empty, husband commandeers for himself. I've given the study up completely. The child's room has been completely swamped in 1970s playmobil.

I'm using the planned-for move to make husband reassess (again) every broken-spined paperback, comic-book inspired plastic figure, piece of redundant technology and everything else. I *don't* do Feng Shui, but talk about blocked energy.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Crabbcakes is online now Senior Member
    You have it definitely harder than me. Once I commandeer and clear a space, hubby does not re-inhabit. He complains that the only spaces left to him are the office and his Mazda. That is not much of a complaint, as the rest of the house is shared by everybody, and/or is special-use (bathrooms, schoolroom, dining room, all the usual suspects) and he still gets his own rumpus room (the office), which is not exactly a wee closet. As the mutually agreed upon division of labor here at Crabbcakes Manor is for me to manage the physical household, and he to pay the bills for it, I get to weed and clean at my discretion - outside of the office and Mazda and Creampuff Car, which I honor.

Yikes, badger - that is really hard. Hubby likes his stuff, but even hubby will clean out and reevaluate every blue moon.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    It is not the Wooden Railway Thomas set - and how glad am I that we made that decision? Very. We agonised over which train set to 'invest' in. I would have loved the wooden one, but it's double the price and - even when small boy was very small - I wondered how much actual play he'd get out of it. His current collection is huge, but we bought half of it second-hand. I fully anticipate that another train set - Hornby, perhaps - will be requested (and considered buying a 'proper' train set at the very start, but then he would have been too young to benefit from it, rather defeating the purpose).

I am not allowing him to get rid of all his Thomas stuff, because of course we must keep husband's collection of Thomas books (not first editions, but c40 years old). We must also, evidently, keep all of husband's playmobil, all of child's playmobil, all of child's Lego, all of husband's 'collectors' items', including a Yoda-shaped sweet dispenser, various Transformers and so on.

We must also keep all of husband's art books, roleplay books, computer books, fantasy novels, pulp fiction, manga comics and so forth. We must keep husband's paperwork, old school books, high-school transcripts, journals, sketchbooks...

His roleplay minatures, his art supplies, his tabletop gaming soldiers.

We must keep CDs. We must keep DVD box sets (I keep trying to get him to digitise and chuck, or at least decant into the black folders/cases).

I have one soft toy from my childhood. That's all I need. Actually, I'm not too fussed about holding on to it.

I do have books - novels, lit crit, poetry, anthologies, letters and some history. That said, I sold/got rid of more than 50% when we left the UK. I have patchwork fabric, not much and most of it is earmarked for specific projects, but it does take up the space under my desk. I have a sewing machine.

I buy the child stacks of books, but I'm only precious about the classics: AA Milne, CS Lewis and so on (I forget which ones, but he has box sets of his 'good' books). I don't know how I'd feel about it if he wanted to get rid of them. We do, out of necessity, get rid of books he no longer likes every few months - most recently we gave a pile of nursery rhymes, dinosaur books and board books to school.

I feel extremely weighed down by all the stuff the two of them accumulate. I feel a little weighed down by the stuff I accumulate - and that aint much. I dread another crate appearing from the in-laws byzantine complex of sheds and storage solutions to be disgorged into our house. They are time capsules of sadness - plastic drek and mouldy paper.

I am aware that the child is being bribed to declutter to make room for his father's clutter. That doesn't fill my heart with joy. However, I'm drowning in this stuff.
    Sounds like you need to move to the country to an old farmhouse with a barn!

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    If you knew how hard we've been trying (and failing) to do just that for the last five years you'd know just how hollow my laugh is.

B: yoghurt, coffee (sultanas disappeared in a misery eat last night - oops)
    L: cauli and blue brie soup
    D: chili, sour cream, cheese; raspberries and yoghurt
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Good day all!

Or maybe some small localised bouts of arson, not very practicle maybe, but....
    Last edited by Dhansakdave; 08-07-2013 at 01:52 AM. Reason: spelling!

Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Good day all!
    Or maybe some small localised bouts of arson, not very practicle mabe, but....
    Husband always says, once his parents are gone (as in forever, not just while they're out at church or on a shopping trip - both weekly full-day events) he'll raze the homestead to the ground. I'm more concerned with it going up while they are inside or, more pressingly (so to speak), finding them crushed under a toppled 'storage solution'. The only thing holding their house up are the crates and boxes, the stumps are rotting and I'm certain the roof leaks.

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    The only thing holding their house up are the crates and boxes, the stumps are rotting and I'm certain the roof leaks.
    Or habit, as I read once, it sounds like it needs razing to the ground and starting again....

When my brother got his previous house we gutted it virtually from top to bottom and burnt anything that was combustable to save on using up skip space, have to say it was quite therapeutic!

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Or habit, as I read once, it sounds like it needs razing to the ground and starting again....

When my brother got his previous house we gutted it virtually from top to bottom and burnt anything that was combustable to save on using up skip space, have to say it was quite therapeutic!
    oooooh a big bonfire and some kik-apoo-apple juice! Or cheeky juice if you prefer...

oooooh a big bonfire and some kik-apoo-apple juice! Or cheeky juice if you prefer...
    I wouldn't waste cheeky juice.

Bye bye Thomas