Page 69 of 294 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast

Thread: waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal page 69

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Want Bone

The tongue of the waves tolled in the earth's bell.
    Blue rippled and soaked in the fire of blue.
    The dried mouthbones of a shark in the hot swale
    Gaped on nothing but sand on either side.

The bone tasted of nothing and smelled of nothing,
    A scalded toothless harp, uncrushed, unstrung.
    The joined arcs made the shape of birth and craving
    And the welded-open shape kept mouthing O.

Ossified cords held the corners together
    In groined spirals pleated like a summer dress.
    But where was the limber grin, the gash of pleasure?
    Infinitesimal mouths bore it away,

The beach scrubbed and etched and pickled it clean.
    But O I love you it sings, my little my country
    My food my parent my child I want you my own
    my flower my fin my life my lightness my O.

I've posted this before, I'm sure. I am homesick. I want my O; my little my country; my life my lightness.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

B: yoghurt, coffee, sneaky spoon of p'ut butter (here be monsters)
    L: a date, a strawberry, a few - five? - nuts; veggie leftovers from last night's dinner
    D: disassembled pork koftas (they wouldn't stick and I, tired and depleted, could not summon the care factor to persevere) with broc and carrots; pineapple rings

Being on holiday, and at the mercy of my parents' catering, highlighted to me how disruptive the no-grain thing is. At home it is just the way I live/think, but travelling it became a huge hidden stressor/item of observation to me. I was willing to slacken things for a generous 20 per cent (Melton Mowbray pork pies!), but what I hadn't considered was the vast number of pasta/bread/sugar-based meals/puddings. It was quite an eye opener. I avoided where I could, but sometimes there was no minimising - carbonara followed by bread and butter pudding...

We all think we're normal until confronted with the 'other'.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Yes, how can a straight meal of meat and veges be abnormal, but it seems to be the case.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Yes, how can a straight meal of meat and veges be abnormal, but it seems to be the case.
    Being a carnivore, I could (and often do) make my meals of just meat...... and some in my aquaintance find it odd...

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Being a carnivore, I could (and often do) make my meals of just meat...... and some in my aquaintance find it odd...
    Ditto, I was away the weekend camping, virtually all I munched was burgers patties, roast pork and a bit of sausage, got called wierd!

And I can honestly say I think if I had bread & butter pudding now, I'd heave.

Scores on the doors for today:
    B: two eggs scrambled in butter; coffee; p'ut butter*
    L: nameless leftovers: cream, mushrooms, leeks, bacon, red capsicum, paprika and a tiny amount of chicken (a soup really, I suppose, made out of the sauce from an earlier dinner)
    D: beef sausages and vegetables

* I know, but the coffee takes time to make and while it's pouring/steaming/spitting out of the espresso machine the jar is in the cupboard by my head. I need a moka pot I can leave to brew while I'm in the shower. I've been promising myself a moka pot for two years now - expecting the machine to break at any moment, but the damn thing seems determined to keep working.

I choked on p'nut butter, you'd think this would put me off, but no.
    Midnight snack: p'nut butter, honey
    B: yoghurt, coffee
    S: two pats of butter
    L: beef stock vegetable (carrot, leek, capsicum, celery) soup
    D: beef sausages, tomato, onion, capsicum, courgette, carrot, spinach, sour cream. Two glasses of merlot.

FULL.

Also, tomorrow is a morning tea at work. Our dept is catering. Every time it's a hellish conundrum of competitiveness versus thrift versus time versus something I'd like to eat. This time I think I have it licked.

In other news, the work of patch - tentatively called In An English Country Garden - is at the halfway point, more or less.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 07-25-2013 at 01:54 AM.

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Is that a touch of cream in the middle of those nibbles?

Not much of a horticulurist, but having visited Oz a couple of times in my youth I'm curious to know if its easy to grow your quintessential English type foliage in Melbourne conditions or are you having to improvise?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    Is that a touch of cream in the middle of those nibbles?

Not much of a horticulurist, but having visited Oz a couple of times in my youth I'm curious to know if its easy to grow your quintessential English type foliage in Melbourne conditions or are you having to improvise?
    Yes, it's sour cream (or was in mine) with dill and lemon zest.

The English Country Garden patch is the quilt I'm working on rather than a real garden. I have experimented with gardening here, having never done it at home, but since we are renting and I had thought we would have moved by now - this was only ever supposed to be a stop-gap - I stopped planting things last year. I don't really have the time to take on projects like gardening that require upkeep. I worked out last night that the reason I feel as though I have no time is because I have no time: if I subtract work, sleep, commute and meal time from my day I am left with two hours each evening. I'm often too tired by that point to do anything remotely constructive... I hadn't realised my time was that limited. I felt inadequate because I never get much done during the week - now I know why that is!

We spent today sorting through the small boy's room and strong arming him into getting rid of (we're hoping to sell some of it) the toys and books he's no longer interested in. I cut the grass, put laundry away and cleaned the bathroom, but a lot of the other chores didn't quite get done.

Food good, mowing counts as exercise, right?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Did you write that poem Badgergirl? It's lovely!

Just popping in to thank you again for the martial arts suggestion. I went to Muay Thai kickboxing on Friday and loved it!!! Defintely think you were on to something there, and I appreciate the insight!

And mowing is exercise
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat