Page 68 of 225 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast

Thread: waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal page 68

Dhansakdave is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Welcome returns BG, hope you had a good time!

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Boys and girls. Thank you for the welcome back. I've been catching up, slowly, with all that has been going on with my MDA buddies. (Yaysu, who would have thought the G-man would have ended up in Rabbit Howls territory.) And. Well, actually rethinking my relationship with here, there and everywhere/everyone. 'Home'coming has been hard.

There's a stretch of coast. It's a bay, with chalk cliffs on one side and clay on the other. And my soul, it has become clear to me, lives in the centre. It's not the most beautiful of all the island's coasts, far from it, but it is mine. Every undulation, every elevation, every curvature, every indentation is etched in such a way that, were my soul were to assume the horizontal or the prone, we would fit as two pieces in an infinite jigsaw. I have been hewn from that geology.

And then there is the city. That city of novelists and poets. Every street, every moment of being has been experienced before as a shadow, as words, as my own memory.

The levels of homecoming were many. Inter-nested: an English doll.

It was beyond painful to get back on the cat. Wave my parents goodbye as they receded, driving down the pier as we sailed away.

It's a wonderful place. It's my cradle. I love it. The Isle. London. England.

All of the above.

And now I am back in the below. Back where I live, my vocation. But my heart, my heart has yet to board a plane.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 07-19-2013 at 01:53 AM.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Boys and girls. Thank you for the welcome back. I've been catching up, slowly, with all that has been going on with my MDA buddies. (Yaysu, who would have thought the G-man would have ended up in Rabbit Howls territory.) And. Well, actually rethinking my relationship with here, there and everywhere/everyone. 'Home'coming has been hard.

There's a stretch of coast. It's a bay, with chalk cliffs on one side and clay on the other. And my soul, it has become clear to me, lives in the centre. It's not the most beautiful of all the island's coasts, far from it, but it is mine. Every undulation, every elevation, every curvature, every indentation is etched in such a way that, were my soul were to assume the horizontal or the prone, we would fit as two pieces in an infinite jigsaw. I have been hewn from that geology.

And then there is the city. That city of novelists and poets. Every street, every moment of being has been experienced before as a shadow, as words, as my own memory.

The levels of homecoming were many. Inter-nested: an English doll.

It was beyond painful to get back on the cat. Wave my parents goodbye as they receded, driving down the pier as we sailed away.

It's a wonderful place. It's my cradle. I love it. The Isle. London. England.

All of the above.

And now I am back in the below. Back where I live, my vocation. But my heart, my heart has yet to board a plane.
    yup... feel the same way about Texas.....

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    yup... feel the same way about Texas.....
    I'm sure you do, It's visceral. It's in the blood; for me, at least, in a way that family isn't. It's in the bone. That bloody bay. With my home in the centre. I cannot think of a place I know more intimately...

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Dhansakdave is online now Senior Member
    Lovely place the IoW, been camping there many a time to Bembridge, to visit friends who live in St Helens, a place that small it doesn't even have a horse, but magic, and just happens to be a short hop to Godshill, where they hawk a brew called Rumpy Pumpy Scrumpy, had some good times there, hope to go back there soon!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Badgergirl, that is indeed a stunning spot, no wonder it has such enduring influence in your life.

And I loved our report on Small Boy's concert

Welcome back.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    In a way, you are lucky, I wonder - you know where your soul is. I have yet to find the home of mine; places have their enduring influences on me, but nothing like you describe. Perhaps that is the price of having a wandering upbringing. Or perhaps I am just a wanderer at heart, unhappy being in one spot too long. Hmmm.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Yes, I suppose I am lucky to be so firmly grounded in one place or, more broadly, one country (husband and I almost didn't go into central London for fear of heartbreak). The Isle will always, always be a part of me.

Husband, small boy and I went to Woodend for breakfast (decadence! the holiday is over, but spendthrift habits die hard). We were just waiting for our food when who should come in to pick up coffee but Tom Dickins. Starry day. I was too shy/awkward to say hello.

Enough procrastinating - there are chores to be done.

Gah. I've had a really, really crappy week or two at work and this situation will be ongoing for a month or so. Great. Really, really great (as small boy says, are you being sarcastic? A: yes, I am). There's this thing, this dynamic, that certain professions need to get used to - for shorthand, in our house, it's called: 'everyone's a designer'. Time and time again, in this job and one of my previous jobs, I've had my professional judgement over-ruled. I don't like it one little bit. I'm stewing. In both roles, my line manager failed to back me up. In the previous situation I resigned (and spent three months unemployed and nearly lost everything before clawing my way back to solvency) this time I do not have the luxury of cutting off my nose to spite my face. If husband was working, I could walk. If I didn't have dependents, I could walk. I want to quit. But, of course, I need to find a new job before I do. Easier said than done, but I will start looking (again) with greater focus because this dynamic is poison.

B: yoghurt, coffee
    L: vegetable soup made with beef-bone stock
    D: chicken and vegetable stir fry with soy, honey and ginger; raspberries and yoghurt; small bar of dark chocolate

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Sympathies for the work situation. Kudos for the food - looks like it would be the highlight of any day.