Page 64 of 396 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal page 64

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    I know there are lots of folks that prefer scissors, needle and thread. I ain't one of em! I think it takes much more skill and manual dexterity to work like that. Big kudos and respect from me there.
    No, I'm such an idiot with the machine. For me, sewing by hand is the slower, but so much safer and easier option. I'm considering biting the bullet and hand quilting this one.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    No, I'm such an idiot with the machine. For me, sewing by hand is the slower, but so much safer and easier option. I'm considering biting the bullet and hand quilting this one.
    Good luk with that..... and enjoy it. I hand quilted a broadcloth quilt for the newborn of a lady I worked with about 12 years ago. I used a bed sheet for the material. Bad choice.... the weave of the fabric was very tight and it made the quilting much more difficult to do. The quilting was relaxing, but tedious...

Unintentionally ate loads today - I do not understand moderation...
    B: yoghurt, banana, mac nuts, coffee
    L: large bowl of homemade chilli (mostly vegetables, right?), glass of pinot noir
    D: large plate of emergency dinner: beef, red and yellow capsicums, carrots, onion, water chestnuts, broc, macs and cashews (rainbow nuts as the small boy calls them), red chilies, coconut milk, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce. About 1/3 bottle of pinot noir.

Tomorrow the festival of window cleaning. I think there are around 14 windows in the house...some are rather large.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Good luk with that..... and enjoy it. I hand quilted a broadcloth quilt for the newborn of a lady I worked with about 12 years ago. I used a bed sheet for the material. Bad choice.... the weave of the fabric was very tight and it made the quilting much more difficult to do. The quilting was relaxing, but tedious...
    I have quite a large embroidery hoop and I have always used bamboo batting, which is fairly thin, it seems as though it would be feasible to do some fairly basic designs (I usually just machine stitch in the ditch - just enough to keep the three layers together).

I have quite a large embroidery hoop and I have always used bamboo batting, which is fairly thin, it seems as though it would be feasible to do some fairly basic designs (I usually just machine stitch in the ditch - just enough to keep the three layers together).
    Nothing wrong with stinching in the ditch by hand.... Simple quilting designs seem to work best for hand quilting. Very intricate designs can get lost because the stitching is broken up.... like a celtic knot would be hard to follow in a hand quilted piece because of the spacing of the stitches etc....

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    That dinner sounds nice, including the wine!

Me hands are more designed for wielding a hammer than a needle, so I'll leave such expert talks to yerselves....

Dinner was lovely. All my food is lovely - she said, modestly - I just have a tendency to make/serve too much and that, coupled with a must-clear-my-plate mentality, leads to me eating to uncomfortable fullness. I love to feed people...

Dinner was lovely. All my food is lovely - she said, modestly - I just have a tendency to make/serve too much and that, coupled with a must-clear-my-plate mentality, leads to me eating to uncomfortable fullness. I love to feed people...
    You say that like its a bad thing.....

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Modest away, cuz it certanily sounds it!

I got the same mental thing regarding the plate, hate to waste/leave food, think it comes from growing up when it was a bit scarce, don't fret it, I ain't!

CWish my old man had took up the ten quid pom offer he knocked back about 40 years ago!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Crabcakes! I did the windows, the flyscreens AND the blinds in our room. Oh, the relief. It took a good couple of hours and was hard work, but so worth it. The windows in our room are by far the worst. This is revolting, and I've never seem anything like it in any other house I've lived in, but the dust grows mould. The blinds - Venetian cream-coloured metal - get dusty and then in the winter the damp and condensation gets so bad that the dust grows mildew/mould. Foul. And it must be very unhealthy to sleep in that room. When I was a stay-at-home mum I was much more on top of this stuff, but then I went back to work full time and things started to slide; and last year I didn't do the six-monthly overhaul clean as husband was going to get a job and we would move before small boy started school. I didn't even plant any vegetables last year because we wouldn't be renting it for much longer. Yeah. That worked out really well, didn't it? So, now I'm playing catch up.

Tomorrow I'll do the blinds in small boy's room. The rest will have to wait until after we come back.

I also made a massive amount of lasagna - for the boys and a beef moussaka/aubergine and feta lasagna for me.

B: yoghurt, orange, nuts, huge coffee with cream
    L: tuna, salsa, chips (boys went to the chippie for lunch, I ate some leftovers)
    D: feta and aubergine lasagna; spinach and cucumber salad; orange