Page 63 of 359 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal page 63

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Tonight's stirfry was great too; the pork had absorbed the fennel, sage and garlic. I added the usual suspects for the veg component. The boys had noodles I had extra beansprouts. Tomorrow's dinner is going to be a doozy: chicken thighs wrapped in bacon and slow cooked on a bed of leeks, finished with cream when I get home and a dusting of truffle salt. I enjoy menu planning and cooking whereas husband finds it a high-pressure chore. It feels very good to be back in the saddle. Thinking about food is exciting! I haven't made up my mind about the vegetables I'll serve tomorrow - definitely spinach, maybe with mustard and red capsicum. Hmmm. Sugar snaps? Definitely carrots, too, as they are the small boy's favourite food after chocolate.

Little Cat A is back from her six-week jaunt around England, Ireland, Scotland, Paris and Dubai tomorrow. Cannot wait. Have baked the co-workers a loaf of banana bread to celebrate her return.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Tonight's stirfry was great too; the pork had absorbed the fennel, sage and garlic. I added the usual suspects for the veg component. The boys had noodles I had extra beansprouts. Tomorrow's dinner is going to be a doozy: chicken thighs wrapped in bacon and slow cooked on a bed of leeks, finished with cream when I get home and a dusting of truffle salt. I enjoy menu planning and cooking whereas husband finds it a high-pressure chore. It feels very good to be back in the saddle. Thinking about food is exciting! I haven't made up my mind about the vegetables I'll serve tomorrow - definitely spinach, maybe with mustard and red capsicum. Hmmm. Sugar snaps? Definitely carrots, too, as they are the small boy's favourite food after chocolate.

Little Cat A is back from her six-week jaunt around England, Ireland, Scotland, Paris and Dubai tomorrow. Cannot wait. Have baked the co-workers a loaf of banana bread to celebrate her return.
    that sounds pretty tasty!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Ohmygosh - your trip is that close?! You are heading back to the Isle, if I remember - whoooooo!!

Cleaning - I do that EXACT same thing, and hubby still mostly doesn't get it. If I were there, I would start those blinds for you. One of my BFFs is a DEMON about household prep before a trip, and I loved rooming with her at high school band camps, and sharing an apartment with her for half a year - we got EVERYTHING done. My SIL, on the other hand, I have personally witnessed more than once, leave her household in a - ahem - "state of disarray". Wet soapy washcloths in the tub, clothes on the floors, crustiness stuck to the stovetop, dishes in the sink, too - she simply leaves. Incredible.

I think I have limited memory capacity, badger, because if you told us here when you were in the US, I forgot... What page of your journal is that on, and I shall reread.

Glad you are back to cooking. I always get the feeling that you do enjoy it. Our current fad - skinning and boning chicken thighs in order to pound flat the muscle and then cut the skin into strips for pan-fried/rendered "chicken skin chips" (as we dubbed them); Fourth cannot eat poultry unless unless every square centimeter of the skin is totally crispy AND the meat is really done, and this is my solution for doing that without cooking every drop of juice out of the meat. Chicken skin chips get done in the pan first, so the fat renders out, and then we cooked the flattened thigh in that rendered fat.

So, badger, gotta go - Third is on summer vacation now, so she can sleep, but Fourth has art camp this week (day camp) and I drive her in each morning this week. Toodles till tonight!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Small boy came home from school and asked: do you know the song that says 'I put my hands up in the air sometimes'? Google and youtube. We're not in whole-world-in-his-hands Kansas anymore...

Chicken-bacon-leek dinner was FANTASTIC.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

B: banana, small amount of yummy yoghurt
    L: two chicken thighs wrapped in bacon, creamy leeks, raw spinach - so, so, so good
    D: rare steak, vegetables TBA

I'm loving cooking for myself. Loving it. Also, in other news, have started a new hexagon-of-doom quilt. It's destined for the in-laws as it's ridiculously chintzy - remember the cream and red florals and stripes? Well, turns out that if you chop them into hexes and sew them back together somehow the floweryness multiplies. Pictures soon as I've now completed seven blocks (so, 49 hexes in groups of seven).

I'm considering diamonds in greens and purples next...

B: banana, small amount of yummy yoghurt
    L: two chicken thighs wrapped in bacon, creamy leeks, raw spinach - so, so, so good
    D: rare steak, vegetables TBA

I'm loving cooking for myself. Loving it. Also, in other news, have started a new hexagon-of-doom quilt. It's destined for the in-laws as it's ridiculously chintzy - remember the cream and red florals and stripes? Well, turns out that if you chop them into hexes and sew them back together somehow the floweryness multiplies. Pictures soon as I've now completed seven blocks (so, 49 hexes in groups of seven).

I'm considering diamonds in greens and purples next...
    I would go with the diamonds... since thy can be sewn together as strips of cloth and then cut at an angle to form the diamonds.... much faster to piece together that way. Besides, diamonds make Lone Star quilts.... and I love Lone Star quilts!

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    I would go with the diamonds... since thy can be sewn together as strips of cloth and then cut at an angle to form the diamonds.... much faster to piece together that way. Besides, diamonds make Lone Star quilts.... and I love Lone Star quilts!
    Seminole piecing only works if you machine sew, which I don't. I sew by hand on the train because...I'm a masochist, I suppose.

Seminole piecing only works if you machine sew, which I don't. I sew by hand on the train because...I'm a masochist, I suppose.
    You have a point there regarding speed.... my first quilting class was a hand piecing class. I made the blocks for the class, and that was the last of my hand piecing..... I don't have the patience for hand piecing.

I don't even rotary cut. I dunno why, but I don't find the longer process arduous - indeed, hand sewing is much more relaxing for me than machine sewing. I'm happy with my templates, scissors, needle and thread.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't even rotary cut. I dunno why, but I don't find the longer process arduous - indeed, hand sewing is much more relaxing for me than machine sewing. I'm happy with my templates, scissors, needle and thread.
    I know there are lots of folks that prefer scissors, needle and thread. I ain't one of em! I think it takes much more skill and manual dexterity to work like that. Big kudos and respect from me there.