Page 47 of 291 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal page 47

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    If writing was really important to me, I would stand at a desk, take notes, learn my craft and memorise the greats. But, more importantly, I would do it. I need space, I need time. I need a room of one's own... or do I simply need to stop making excuses?
    You will do it when the time is right Badger - however do not throw away your musings, because one day they will help shape your amazing story. You will know when that time is right.
    Keep being a wonderful Badger in the interim !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    By the way, the quilt finally reached it's destination (after a two-week sojourn in a Hong Kong sorting office). The recipient said: "look how well you know me, perfectly matching existing cushions and prints on wall. Just perfect, perfect, perfect"

Job. Done.

Now, what should I make next...
    Badger, I'm so glad the beautiful quilt has arrived safely and your friend is right, it is absolutely perfect. How fantastic.

As for what to make next, whatever you like, and may it be another happy outlet for your creativity.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    By the way, the quilt finally reached its destination (after a two-week sojourn in a Hong Kong sorting office). The recipient said: "look how well you know me, perfectly matching existing cushions and prints on wall. Just perfect, perfect, perfect"

Job. Done.

Now, what should I make next...
    Congrats on completion of the quilt! I've always been a big fan of Lone Star or Mariner's Compass quilts....

badgergirl is online now Senior Member

And for my next trick

I'm thinking something very basic and traditional as a 'new woman' quilt for best friend. Perhaps based on squares. I think, looking at this, at least one of those fabrics doesn't work second from the bottom, right-hand side. I'd like to get more of a drab green fabric that has a pattern of buttons, if I can, which I used for her last one (and which she said was her favourite in the whole thing). Last time I named every fabric after a writer or book, so it was that it started with Thomas Wyatt, then there was Edward Gorey a few others I forget and, finally, (her favourite) Tender Buttons (which is also the name I give my computer).

But, then, I'm also trying to work out a way to make this in quilt form:

Finally, Doc, check this one out. It's called Storm at Sea with Compass. How lovely:
    Last edited by badgergirl; 04-09-2013 at 01:59 AM.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Those warm colours will make another lovely quilt, Badgergirl.

I do think the bookcase is amazing, and if anyone can figure out how to turn it into a quilt, it's you.

That Storm at Sea is pretty complex, I love that transition from white to blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Those warm colours will make another lovely quilt, Badgergirl.

I do think the bookcase is amazing, and if anyone can figure out how to turn it into a quilt, it's you.

That Storm at Sea is pretty complex, I love that transition from white to blue.
    Hi Annie - thank you for the vote of confidence I often find that I like quilts, the complex ones - on a conceptual level, but what I want to live with are the comforting, muted, plain designs.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Badger - you are so clever. I am desperately wanting to learn how to quilt, but no-one wants to learn me.................
    keep at it

...small steps....

Unravelling

This is fast turning into a book club, isnt it?

All reading is, if you subscribe in even the most light-hearted way to poststructualism, a way of reading self. As it happens, my sense of self my narrative of selfhood does not feel stable at the moment. Emigrating, motherhood, a thought-experiment affair destabilising, to say the least. I am, therefore, an unstable reader so the perspectives I bring to a text are shifting and perhaps provisional.

In particular, my relationship with my mother is shifting. This change of interpretation began six years ago during my first lot of therapy, when the therapist (who was useful and free god love the NHS) described something I took as normal as profoundly controlling it was as if a trapdoor in the ceiling had opened up above me and the room flooded with light and fresh air. It continued to evolve when I experienced being a mother. It is currently a boggy landscape, full of unexpected water-filled pits ready to swallow the unwary.

So it is that I am re-reading (for I read like I eat I binge) Why Be Happy When You Can Be Normal. In it Winterson describes growing up adopted in a religious fundamentalist household, how that shaped her and she gives equal weight to adoption and the trauma that followed after and her struggles as an adult to form loving relationships. There are many, many parallels. Ive started underlining passages in green (to indicate agreement) with the red pen (to indicate disagreement) so far unused. Our stories are so different: hers very clearly good mother (with some reservations), bad mother (with some reservations); whereas, for me, birth mother (interestingly this is the term Winterson uses too) was/is bad mother (with one reservation) and adopted mother was/is good mother (with a few profound reservations). It strikes me now how dangerous it is to criticise ones adopted mother if youve been abandoned at the very beginning of life abandonment is always an option and love is never unquestioned or unquestioning. This, of course, might explain why I find it so hard to reach a firm conclusion about the mothering I have received.

Adoption, or rather that first rejection, does tend to influence every relationship that follows. JW and I differ in how this plays out she attracts then rejects, whereas I tend to scare people away by giving too much its a ridiculous way of behaving and I can see myself doing it, but I can never hold back: look how intense I am! Look, Look! Im giving you my soul on a plate. Why arent you looking? Im naked! Love me. LOVE ME. Oh, youve gone. I knew you would. Everyone leaves me. Interestingly, the two people who have not been phased by this deep, instant openness are both refugees from religious extremism (as is Winterson) and as, I am slowly recognising, am I.

I wonder if the book would be as absorbing to people who have not had similar experiences. Im very interested to hear what best friend makes of it (her parents forced her to leave home when she decided to leave their religion she was, I think, 17).

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Badger - you are so clever. I am desperately wanting to learn how to quilt, but no-one wants to learn me.................
    keep at it
    I got a very basic book with some templates and just set to work. One of the little cat co-workers does all the fancy-pants rotary cutting and machine sewing - and that is beautiful - but I'm not interested in making patchwork like that. I like the manual labour of it, the spirit of grandmothers past. There's a romance for me there, clearly. Ah, also, I like making my own designs - it's an intellectual/artistic endeavour. When I make a quilt for someone it's a meditative experience - I hold them in my thoughts for every stitch. Like writing a letter or cooking a meal for someone, there's the careful selection of words/ingredients and then the assembly with the person in mind.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 04-09-2013 at 08:33 PM.

I agree with you 100% badger. The love, time and energy that goes into creating a gift is precious. I am the same with my knitted blankets, and I love giving. I get a wee buzz of excitment handing it over..................

...small steps....