Page 3 of 313 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal page 3

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    B: 1 cup of yoghurt
    L: salad of spinach, celery, red capsicum, mushrooms, soy sauce, sardines
    D: monkfish, cooked with lemon and butter; carrots, bokchoi, mushrooms, red capsicum; cocoa made with cream
    Fitday thinks: 1067 calories; 57% fat, 33% protein, 10% carb
    I walked my usual 1hr 45mins.
    Deficit is 1180 calories for the day. I'm also running consistently low on a range of vits and minerals - potassium, magnesium, manganese and so forth. I think a multivit is in order. Otherwise all is good.
    I know this probably wins the Daily Apple award for dull as ditchwater journal, but it is really helpful to me to see the patterns of over/under indulgence. This is the first time I've ever, for example, weighed a portion of food and it would seem that my eyes are big and so is my belly.

rock a-bye baby

My little one is sick. Last night he was so feverish he got delirious. We, well mostly huband since he took night shift, got him cooled down and then got him meds from the doctor this morning. They crash so fast when they're little. I only stopped breastfeeding in January and for the first time I really ached to be able to feed him. It's always been a miracle cure and settled him fast, but this time I couldn't help him. Mummy's not got milk. Made me sad.
    B: yoghurt
    L: tuna, salsa, sour cream, cheese (my primal junk food)
    D: lamb sausages, sauted Brussels and onions with cinnamon and chili, pumpkin mashed with butter, cinnamon and cumin.
    Fitday makes it 1550 (F: 54%/95g, P: 27%/104g, C: 19%/81g). That's the highest my carbs have been in weeks. Those Brussels were mighty fine though and my vits and mins were up a bit. Nice. Feel good and full now.
    Small boy is asleep, but we expect it to be another long and sleepless night. No walk today.
    ETA: vibrams, my second pair, arrived today. I bought some red Sprints awhile ago and really like them so thought I'd get an all-black pair to wear as summer sandals, possibly at work. Saw a pair on super sale online, but clearly didn't read the small print. I've managed to buy indoor only vibrams. Yeah. Amazingly expensive slippers. Oh. Good.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 08-02-2012 at 01:58 AM. Reason: forgot that vibrams arrived

Friday = weekend = calorie overload
    B: yoghurt
    L: pate, celery, passionfruit, two oranges
    D: steak, lettuce, tomato, mushrooms, anchovies, mayo, olives, large glass of red wine
    Fitday says fatday...
    F: 52%/138g P: 22%/124g C: 16%/101g A: 9% total calories: 2343 and I suspect that is an underestimate.

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    I find your journal interesting maybe because I like to know what people are eating your doing well.

Thanks, Sarahz *waves to Perth*.
    Today = disaster. I'm sick, sick, sick and I missed the small window of opportunity to get antibiotics this morning. Now I have to be better by Monday in time for work, given that I took two carer's days to be with little un. It's a bugger. Now then, usually, I respond to illness with spicy dhal. I need a new primal poorly go-to food, clearly.
    midnight snack: fruit salad
    B: yoghurt, fruit salad
    L: tomato soup, cheese (lots - big mistake), glass of wine - what, you don't resort to killing infection with alcohol?
    D: lamb chop, broc and carrots
    Soon to be followed by wine, temazapan, paracetamol and ibruprofen. No. Not primal. I crave many, many hours of sleep - let's see if I can sweat this f***er out.
    Last night, just as this thing was hitting, I managed to do some free weights and husband and I are both noticing more definition in arms and trunk. Yay. Also, reduced bingo wings, which is a good thing as part of the whole reason for this exercise gubbins is that our tenth wedding anniversary is coming up. I want to wear my wedding dress (actually a corset and long silk skirt). Now, I was 25 when we married and had not had a child. Also, I starved myself in the run up. I was skinny, but also gaunt in retrospect. I'm 35 now and I want to rock that corset - toned, not skeletal.
    Yeah. Maybe just lots of water tonight instead of the sleepy cocktail of doom. Sense prevails...
    Christ. I always forget how much suckage is involved in these illnesses. I want to be active and doing stuff, but instead I'm just moaning and groaning to husband while small boy runs riot around the house (he got *his* antibiotics, thank goodness).
    Right, so, for future reference, what do primal folks eat for comfort and health when sickness strikes? Stock-heavy vegetable soups? I do like turmeric and chili, onion and garlic to fight infection... I should put some emergency tubs in the freezer for next time (I get sick rarely, but when I do I'm a real pain in the butt to be around).
    Crikey - small boy is literally sprinting round the house. I wish I had antibiotics too.

Today was somewhat better in all senses; not perfect, but better. Husband gave me a Louise Brooks bob and then I managed to set my head on fire while cooking steak, so, y'know fun times have been had. Back at work tomorrow come hell, high water or further lurgy. So, what are today's numbers?
    B: two ramekins-worth of fruit salad (passion fruit, orange, strawberries, banana and pineapple in order of magnitude), a lamb chop (hell, what's the point in being primal if one can't eat leftover meat from the fridge for breakfast?)
    L: answered my own rhetorical question here, what does one replace dhal with? pumpkin. Soup made with 1/2 butternut, onion, ginger, chili, garam masala and cumin (we're out of turmeric - who knew?) and, to seal the deal, coconut milk because without it I thought 'hmm looks a bit fat free.'
    D: salad of cos, tomato, anchovies, oregano and the two remaining lamb chops.
    Man and boy had steak salad sandwiches, hence the head cremation. D'oh.
    Killing lurgy with wine works, I tell you, which is why I had another couple of large glasses today.
    My calories are fine, but my macros suck arse. Hello sickness, goodbye ketosis. Never mind, I can start again tomorrow. No real harm done.
    Today I was mostly seated.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    ETA: vibrams, my second pair, arrived today. I bought some red Sprints awhile ago and really like them so thought I'd get an all-black pair to wear as summer sandals, possibly at work. Saw a pair on super sale online, but clearly didn't read the small print. I've managed to buy indoor only vibrams. Yeah. Amazingly expensive slippers. Oh. Good.
    About those 'slippers'... I have 4 pair that I wear regularly (and a couple of pair tucked into the closet for when they eventually die), a black and a fuchsia pair of performa janes, and a purple and a coral pair of performas. I have been wearing them OUTSIDE for close to 2 years... outside as in light walking on cement or grassy areas, going shopping, across parking lots, and such. They are my FAVORITE VFFs (I have around a dozen pairs total as they are the ONLY shoes I wear), and I scour the internet regularly looking for still available pairs in my size to tuck into the closet. It is my deepest belief that VFF committed their biggest sin when they stopped making those models. *sigh* (AND the fact that they never made a pair in Green. )

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you can indeed wear them outside as long as it is for light duty. My coral ones have a few dirt marks because they are light colored and are one of my older pairs (at least a year and a half of use**)... but other than that they are all in very good shape. No holes, no soles falling off... no problems. I don't wear them out in the rain though.
    **I don't wear them daily as far as use... I rotate though them and 'match' them to my clothes for the day generally... many times this means my shoes are an opposite color to my shirt.

Also, if yours are a size 41 I would consider buying them if they are a color I still need an extra pair of... just sayn.
    Last edited by cori93437; 08-05-2012 at 01:06 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Hi Cori,
    Thanks for stopping by. The slippers are incredibly comfortable and gorgeous, but as I do about 8-10k walking a day, probably no good for what I originally anticipated (taking the strain off my first pair of sprints once summer arrives here). That said, I think that they'll be brilliant as office shoes (if my coworkers don't complain - my workplace can be very strange) for the summer. I think the sprints are more comfortable in motion that they are when seated - somehow my toes seem to curl in them when I'm sitting down.
    I've seen a fair few vibram sales recently on Aussie clearing house sites: buyinvite and ozsale. They might offer international shipping? Unfortunately, mine are a size 40 (and I'd like to keep them as there's something very sensuous about them, I know get me) so no swapsies.

I'm not even going to try Fitdaying today it would only make me feel even worse. In a fever and sleepless and desperate last night I decided that what my poor infection-fighting body needed was fuel... let's just call today a carb refeed.
    Midnight feast: 1/4 jar natural peanut butter, banana, yoghurt
    B: banana, tropical juice lots and lots and lots
    L: chips (craving the salt) and fish with the batter removed (I'm bad, but I'm not *that* bad)
    D: two large broc trees and about a cup of spaghetti sauce made by my loving husband (beef, bacon, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, onions, garlic, spices, oregano)
    Also, I scored ANTIBIOTICS finally. Thank the sweet baby jesus and all the kittens. Doctor said: oh, your throat, it's raw! No shit, Sherlock.
    Tomorrow health and a speedy return to ketosis. Yay.

B: banana
    L: spaghetti sauce and broccoli
    D: 1/2 avo, yoghurt, banana
    Fitday says 899 calories for the day - can't be right, surely? Antibiotics slowly kicking in and normality will resume soon.

Page 3 of 313 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast