Page 28 of 357 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal page 28

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am dying. I ate rice cooked in chicken bone broth and now I have digestive failure. What gives? Okay today was a crazy-greedy day, hey, it's Saturday! And, yes, I drank a few glasses of wine - not too many! - nothing to make my stomach cramp and give me pain. I have no idea, but let me tell you I am not happy.

Early night tonight; see if I can't sleep it off.

Last night I barely slept so perhaps I'm sickening for something.

Husband and I quote the scene from Tomb Raider (in the helicopter) for news like this: "how fascinating".

Speaking of the husband, he's chained to his laptop and sweating over 3DS Max. I hear the occasional swear word muttered, but basically he's in his own zone of suffering and I'm in mine.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

Oh. Bugger.

Long, hard weekend. Full of chores - house has to be clean for in laws' babysitting visit tomorrow - childcare (we went to the park and tried out small boy's roller skates - now I am sore from holding him up) and other husband-related duties (attending his best friend's birthday party on his behalf and giving him as much space and time as possible so that he can cram for tomorrow's interviews.

Food choices (after Saturday's accidental food poisoning by under-cooked chicken skin - can't blame rice - I had three bouts of quite horrifically compelling diarrhoea overnight [how fascinating]) have been abysmal. Husband and I have both been struggling with insomnia. I hate getting this pysched up over an interview for a three-month gig, but even three months of employ is better than none. I resent making sacrifices (and I do it every time) for things that may or may not come to pass. Let's hope that it does and that it leads on to bigger and better things.

I had plans goddamn it: I was going to finish the quilt. But it has been all hands to the pump. Only my husband would be mad enough to attempt learning two high-end, complex software packages (3DS Max and some sort of game engine, I forget what it is called - Unity) in 48 hours.

I hope we sleep tonight. Husband looks like a zombie - not a great interview look.

My work week is going to be manic...it all comes at once.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 01-20-2013 at 12:38 AM.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

The weekly fast has begun. I'm now pretty much convinced this plays into binge/purge cycles, but since I eat like a possessed woman at the weekends I've sort of trapped myself into needing to fast come Monday. Hmm.

All the manic-panic-work-like-a-loon has passed and now it's just two interviews and wait and see. I'm so tired I want to sleep at/under my desk. Lord only knows how husband is coping - perhaps he'll crash later, once the excitement is over.

ETA: husband says interview went okay and he'll hear within a day or two. Three months has been reduced to six weeks though.

Meanwhile, I've got a ton of work to do.

B: coffee made w/semi skimmed milk
    L: IF
    D: ham, tuna mayo, an apple, lots of double cream
    Last edited by badgergirl; 01-20-2013 at 10:54 PM. Reason: dinner

Husband has heard that if the company gets the contract he gets the job. Fingers and limbs remain tightly crossed.

B: coffee and a handful of nuts
    L: tiny piece of stilton, dried fruit
    D: barbecue pork ribs, salads; cherries

Still hungry...
    Last edited by badgergirl; 01-21-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Thank you! It's a mixed blessing as the longer I stay there the more my career (yeah, right - I used to have one) goes retrograde. I really miss London and being that city girl with a job that sent me Stateside regularly.
    What did you do? And where did you end up traveling over here? I like cities, too, but with me raising kids, I am well-placed living here in the sticks. Suburbia just isn't for me... I guess I am a gal of extremes - one kind of jungle or the other. And I can get a helluva lot more house for my buck here in the country than I could in a city!

This job, although only a three-month contract to begin with, sounds right up husband's dark, narrow alley: a defence contractor who wants to develop mobile apps requesting someone with a knowledge of animation and anatomy. Sounds grimtastic to me, but husband is pretty keen (I'm keen for him to have a job) and excited about what soldiers with mobiles might be playing that requires a knowledge of anatomy to develop. Hmmm. Perhaps it's a medical app (she said hopefully) rather than the more obvious gory shoot out.
    Hubby has his degree in chemistry, but works for an environmental clean-up company, project managing, but mostly writing data-crunching computer programs that track lots of things - land acquisitions for state departments of transportation, underground tank farms for military air bases... Lots of stuff.

(after Saturday's accidental food poisoning by under-cooked chicken skin - can't blame rice - I had three bouts of quite horrifically compelling diarrhoea overnight [how fascinating]).
    Hope you are feeling better!! I once watched my best friend spend the night on the toilet - literally. She had some horrific bug that just made it not worth her while to get off the loo, so she pulled a tall, lidded clothes hamper over to her, draped a towel over it, set a bowl atop (came out both ends...), leaned over it, and slept between bouts. Lordy, stomach/intestinal bugs are the worst!

It is funny, in a sick way (pun intended), watching everybody's puking style here at Crabbcakes Manor. Most of my kids are quiet retchers, but I do have one that is soooo loud and stereotypical-sounding, I just may record her for use in Hollywood movies. When she is afflicted, the whole house gets to hear.

Husband has heard that if the company gets the contract he gets the job. Fingers and limbs remain tightly crossed.
    Sweet! Paid employment is the best (assuming you like the job)! I am curious, too, what that app will turn into!!

We are having a cold snap here. 12 degrees F is the high for today, 6 degrees F is the low for tonight. I hauled the kerosene heater behemoth out last night, just in case. Last year the power went out on the coldest week of winter, and to top it off, our whole-house generator blew up at the same time, so we had to scramble to find heat for this all-electric house, and ended up buying two of these (relatively big house) along with two smaller ceramic propane heaters. We now have power this time around, and the generator is fixed, but this is my magickal way of ensuring all stays well... Third's school has a two-hour delay this a.m. They always do this when the temps are this low - gives the weather time to heat up a few degrees before all those wheelchair kids have to brave the cold to load on the ramp-and-lift equipped buses.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Once upon a time I worked for a fancy-pants PR agency on their corp editing/production team. I was the only European-based member of the team - it's a global agency, but grew out of the Pacific northwest. This was brilliant as it meant an annual week or fortnight trip to Portland, Oregon, to attend team events. On the back of this I would usually tack on some holiday and visit best friend who, at that time, lived in Northampton, MA (where the coffee is strong and so are the women). I also managed, once, to tack on a visit to the NY office and stayed with a team-mate in Queens. I've spent a fair amount of time in New England over the years, but the vast expanse between the two coasts and anything Southern is a mystery to me. One day a long road trip beckons (I hope).

I miss London - the buzz, the pace of live and, more than anything, understanding how things work - more than I ever thought possible. I also miss English countryside: the damp smell of the earth, the lead-grey skies, the rolling green hills... I also miss snow, not that we get the full monty like you do.

If the company gets the work husband will be working on some kind of superhero/comic book tie in, nothing like what the rest of the company does. It'll be a very strange way in, but husband seems quite positive and thinks that even if this job doesn't come good they might well contact him for something else.

B: two eggs scrambled in butter; coffee
    D: steak and salads, portobello mushroom; cherries

I'm going back to my old ways. I've had my head turned by some of the threads recently, but I'm not a moar fat, moar meat, fewer meals girl. The podge was not shifting and I was finding the fasting both stressful and counterproductive. I don't mind slow and steady, but stasis is no good. That said, I do like not needing to pack myself a lunch. I'll see how I go.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 01-22-2013 at 10:38 PM.

B: two eggs, you know the drill, scrambled in butter; coffee
    D: avo, tuna, sour cream, two portobello mushrooms cooked in butter, spoonful of carrot and beet salad; cherries, dried apple rings; bottle of 13-year-old shiraz (past it, frankly) Yeah. Not proud. Husband went out to hang with his buddies and I self medicated like it was a w/e or summat.

Still no news on husband's job, but in some ways that is good, right, it means the company is working out a plan of action, rather than the deal is off the table - I hope. Hmmm.

What else is news? Not much. Husband and I are getting on better recently, which is a huge relief, but life seems rather empty, joyless. I'm at a loss at how to create joy - unlike Ani DeFranco I am not a joyful girl. Joy used to come from being surrounded by joyful friends.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 01-24-2013 at 03:11 AM. Reason: different dinner

Lightbulb A tale of two trees or welcome to Australia

We rent. In our back garden are two trees: a lemon tree and an apple tree.

I am used to the fecundity of citrus trees thanks to a year spent in Greece, but believe me - this lemon tree is the Duggar tree. Lemons fall to the ground to rot, despite harvesting sacks of lemons to give away, let alone the lemons we use ourselves to flavour chickens and water and cakes... That tree is prolific. The small boy and I put more than 100 lemons on the compost heap last weekend when I was worried about the scent of rotting citrus perfuming our drying laundry.

The apple tree. The apple tree struggles. The first year we were here - no apples. I pruned that tree hard. The second year - three tasteless, Golden Delicious-type sad apples (water and sugar in a green skin - tasteless and woolly); I pruned again and this year - after a monster pruning session (I got a saw) - we had more than ten apples.

Then the parrots came.

Result?

No apples.

PARROTS ATE OUR APPLES. WE HAVE LEMONS ROTTING ON THE GROUND.

Truly, Australia is another world.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 01-24-2013 at 03:08 AM.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Truly, Australia is another world.
    Yeah, but one that sounds really, really tempting as I sit here in single-digit (Fahrenheit) cold... and top it off with those interesting Aussie accents...

Dunno' what it is about accents - can't get enough of them. The non-American/Canadian-yet-from-an-English-speaking-country type, that is. The kids and I just finished the DVD set of "Long Way Down" and the Yankee Kids Crabbcakes could listen to Ewan McGregor endlessly.

Which brings me to my Question of the Day for badger - is Small Boy sporting an English accent from his parents or an Aussie one from his environment?? My girls open their mouths to utter a generic American Midwest, no country twang. Although, if you get Second mad enough, stuff like "dawg" comes out from her time in New Jersey.

Crabbcakes still has leftovers from a major chunk of childhood spent in central Texas. Like "creek" being pronounced as "crick", among other stuff.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Crabbcakes still has leftovers from a major chunk of childhood spent in central Texas. Like "creek" being pronounced as "crick", among other stuff.
    Wait.... It ISN'T pronunced that way??? Well cut my legs off and call me Shorty!