Page 2 of 312 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal page 2

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Well, the weekend was a small blip in the grander scheme of things and Christmas pudding with lashings of brandy butter was devoured with passion and washed down with a lot of red wine. Sunday was lost to a hangover, but food choices were not bad. Now we're back at it:
    B: 2 eggs scrambled with a little cream
    L: two mugs of coffee w/double cream (lunch outing was postponed and I decided to IF or whatever)
    D: sausage, bacon, egg, strawberries
    walked 1.5 hours, some bodyweight exercises
    Last edited by badgergirl; 07-23-2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: husband changed dinner plans

Today was weird. Really sluggish all day and itchy-eyed. Might have sth to do with the four year old joining us at 4am (I get up at 5am), but honestly he does that most days. Anyway...
    B: two eggs scrambled with a drop of cream
    L: chicken liver pate with raw cauli and celery
    D: ratatouille with tuna and feta, cocoa with cream
    1.5 hour gentle walk. Going to ditich the physical jerks tonight and get some extra rest. Perhaps tomorrow is the day to try the skinny trousers on again and see if any progress has been made. I feel slenderer - more streamlined in my midsection - but husband has yet to be able to spot the difference.
    One thing I've not commented on before, I've not binged at all since ditching the grains and sugar completely. This is a good step as my disordered eating swings from mild to not so mild. It's nice not to fight that particular battle with myself.
    Onwards and downwards. Fitday still thinks I'm in calorie credit by 500-1000 a day, not sure how accurate that is as I do not weigh my food, but it's a good rough guide (as are the macros - I've increased the fat and cut back the carbs a little bit more). I'm confident a whoosh is just around the corner.

Today was vegan lunch day! I did well (it was a TVP and gluten vegan joint rather than a raw vegan au natural type place, more's the pity).
    B: liver pate, celery, 1 egg scrambled w/dash of cream
    L: milky coffee (before the off), salad of mixed leaves, tomatoes, aubergine, capsicum and mushrooms
    D: ratatouille, tuna, feta
    Tried on the skinny trousers again this morning: no discernable difference. These particular trousers were incredibly expensive - I usually buy my clothes in thrift stores, these I bought new (in the sale, but still). They are an Aussie size 8 by Anthea Crawford, I have two pairs and they used to fit. They were tight, but they fitted. Now if I sat down in them I'd be terrified they'd split. At the very least they are tight enough that I would be courting a yeast infection. Annoyingly, the difference is probably only a centimetre all round, but that sodding centimetre refuses to vamoosh.
    What gives?
    Fitday puts me at a serious calorie debt each day - sometimes more than 1000 - do I need to eat *more*? I'm ready for my meals, but I'm not ravenous...and I'm often an all or nothing type: I worry that if I start adding in dark chocolate or something my indulgence will become a full-on festival of eating.
    More liver, right?
    Ah, also, Fitday thinks I'm running a small deficiency in potassium, among other minerals, worth taking a multivit? (I already take zinc and Vit D in the morning and zinc and fish oil in the evening - zinc stops my spots). I know, I know = iodine is the answer! Preferably painted on and then spot frozen to the skin with virgin arctic ice.
    I feel good. I look the same. I do not have the time or money to resort to crossfit to get buff. I walk at least an hour a day and have added bodyweight exercises as well as low reps of things like situps (boo, hiss) and crunches (boo, boo, HISS). My body is ignoring all the memos I have sent it.
    As they say here in Oz (I'm a recent import): not happy, Jan.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 07-25-2012 at 02:28 AM. Reason: corrected tense confusion

it's simples! I eat more than I told Fitday and the weekends add up to more than 20% Palm-face moment the first: weighing how much pate I eat with my crudites - double what I told Fitday. Face-palm moment the second: reading over journal and realising that there are less-than-stellar food decisions each weekend, usually wine related.
    B: pate and celery
    L: oysters and roe; kangaroo steak, beetroot and asparagus; cheeses, apple and chutney; 2 glasses of shiraz (hell yeah, baby!) nouveau cuisine size servings, but still!
    D: ratatouille and feta
    I think I just about scraped in under 2000 calories. No exercise to speak of. Lovely full feeling of happiness from lush food though and, honestly, it was all good food, beautifully cooked and prepared. OYSTERS :-)
    I should say that I'm thrilled that I've simply been underestimating a few items in Fitday. The new numbers suggest a smaller deficit each day and, no doubt, a much slower weight loss. That tallies with my current experience and I now feel as though I have a better handle on how to continue. I *knew* there had to be an easy answer and I *knew* I was eating more than I have in the past to lose weight rapidly. Now, the choice is mine to scale back the fatty goodness and up the lean protein or do more activities or simply accept that my weight (given that I have so little to lose in the first place) will be a slow whoosh :-)
    Last edited by badgergirl; 07-26-2012 at 02:31 AM. Reason: additional thought struck me

crikey...the boards are on fire. I suspect that Darth Friendly is loving watching the ants flee the hill in confusion. I liked that guy; his flaming was always so inventively baroque.
    So, anyways, how goes my own primalling?
    B: pate and raw cauli
    L: smoked salmon
    D: roast topside beef; beetroot; courgette and capsicum; carrots; brussels with garlic
    that was yesterday. I also got my workout by cleaning my house. Nice.

BrodieMN is offline Member
    Good luck badgergirl.

Quote Originally Posted by BrodieMN View Post
    Good luck badgergirl.
    Thanks :-) Although with nutrition and exercise I'm not sure luck - beyond what genetics gave you - has much to do with it. At least for me, I know when I do the work (and it is work because I'm both lazy and greedy) I get the results.
    Today was a mixed bag.
    B: roast beef, rare, leftovers straight from the fridge. This should have been great, but wasn't as satifying as I'd thought it would be and I ended up wishing I'd had eggs instead. Particularly as I've just made a huge batch of yoghurt, which means eggs are not going to be a breakfast option again for at least a week or two.
    L: pate and celery. Another make-do, wish I'd eaten summat else meal. The trouble with the pate was that I made a vast quantity - no worries, it freezes, but then I ran out of little tubs so I ended up freezing a lunch box full of pate and then when it was defrosted - in a week where I had TWO lunches out, silly girl - ended up feeling under pressure to finish it. Anyway, job done. (The joys of having older parents who remember rationing in WW2 - the indoctrination not to waste food has not yet worn off...no bad thing, really.)
    D: roast beef, spinach, mushrooms, courgette, capsicum, carrot - mixture of raw and cooked veggies.
    Fitday puts today at just over 1800 and I still scrape a 300 calorie deficit. It's wonderful being a giant. Went for a shorter-than-planned walk as it started to rain, just as the small boy had reached the swings. But we had dragged round the shops this morning looking for the absolute bestest superhero costume suburbia could provide. Found it in the shop I told husband to go to first, but we went to last. That man should listen to his wife more often.
    Tomorrow we will attend two children's birthday parties, back to back, both of which are for twins. I fear I have a snooty reputation because I never eat anything at these events. Oh well, at least the small boy will look the part in his head-to-toe (no joke, he already had the socks) Spiderman get-up as the second party of the day is fancy dress. Be afraid.

shhh... don't scare the whoosh

Drum roll please: the skinny trousers are a little less tight than they were! I think we're about a week away from sitting with crotch comfort. There has, clearly, been a tiny degree of whooshing going on. As I said with infinite sadness to the husband: two glasses of wine a week equals weight loss. It's a bit like the old gag:
    Wife: do these trousers make my arse look big?
    Husband: no dear, it's the cakes and pies that do that.
    B: two eggs scrambled with a drop of cream, bacon, Greek yoghurt (why go into the kitchen with one breakfast when you can have two?)
    L: hotdog sausage, six cherry tomatoes, a strawberry (at the first twins birthday party of the day, at which husband ate the pies; at the second twins birthday party I declined all food and husband took a slice of cake for the team as his arse is boney)
    D: beef stirfried with broc, celery, onion, carrot, brussels, coconut milk, lime, coriander and sweet (yes, the 20% rule) chili sauce. Man and boy had noodles, pineapple and cashew nuts added to theirs.
    And there we have it. Fitday makes it less - by a hair - than 2000 calories and this is probably the first weekend I've had such good compliance with deficits and no alcohol. Working is always easier as I only eat what I take with me.
    Next week I hope for more whooshing to be had - hurrah.

Thumbs down self-sabotage thy name is stilton

B: yoghurt
    L: stilton - loads (it was going begging on the table at work), 4 almonds (ditto), beef stirfry
    D: tuna, salsa, sour cream
    exercise 1hr 45 mins walking, some free weights (about ten mins with 5kg hand weights because I am a weakling)
    Goddamn stilton. Fitday gave me quite a shock and instant regret. Never mind. I know better now. Tomorrow is another, better, day.

I'm back in the saddle! Hurrah.
    B: 1 cup yoghurt, 4 cashews
    L: salad of carrot, spinach, red capsicum and celery with sardines
    D: stirfried beef, bacon, leek, capsicum, carrot, baby corn and steamed bokchoi dressed with soy sauce and sweet chili
    1 hr walk, 25 minute sprint/jog
    Fitday is making it very obvious how I gained the squidgy middle in the first place. Not bad food or bad choices, just too much of everything. Today I'm back with a solid 1000 calorie deficit (if Fitday's estimations of my calorie requirements are to believed), but I'm also hungry. Never mind, it'll get easier. And yesterday I felt quite queer after the stilton madness so that's me taught a lesson - no doubt I'll require a revsion session at some point, but there.
    ETA: just noticed that I am no longer a junior member! Feel like I can begin to play with the big kids now. Just wait until I reach senior status
    Last edited by badgergirl; 07-31-2012 at 03:06 AM. Reason: got promoted!

Page 2 of 312 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast