Page 14 of 336 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal page 14

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    That leapling quilt is EVER so cute.

Your food looks totally primal and delicious, bet you're starting to feel better already.

I, too, am ultra keen to get back to primal after finding it nigh impossible to maintain even 80% while on the road the last two weeks. Results haven't been totally disastrous, but I had become accustomed to feeling fantastic.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member

Lightbulb Day 3: I am hongary

Today I am a bottomless pit.
    B: yoghurt, walnuts, pistachios, coffee
    S: milky decaf
    L: raw grated beetroot and feta...two pats of butter
    D: lamb, with some veg, korma (homemade by husband) over broc; yoghurt; pistachios

A small impulse to buy wine was easily overruled by good sense, but I can hear the siren song of peanut butter calling to me from the cupboard. How did I ever manage to skip lunch and eat small dinners? I don't think ketosis was the answer. Can one encourage adrenaline, dopamine and serotonin production? I liked that cocktail even more than a Bloody Mary (and I happen to like Bloody Marys a lot, particularly for breakfast and/or before take off).

Walked for an hour and 25; there will be weight waggling and planks tonight along with the labour of despair that is my current patchwork project.

I've resumed sewing twice a day during my commute and it is progressing, but sooo sloooowwwwllllyyyyy. Just like V-Line trains. The train friends all knit, so we're like the CWA on rails (CWA = Country Women's Association, the Aussie version of the Women's Institute). We do indeed stitch and bitch. It's cathartic.

This quarter's publication is on the gripping topic of sexual health. Not too many photos this time - unlike the cancer issue, grim - but quite a lot of surprisingly florid and turgid prose. One article today opened with a little mise en scene of two women 'somewhere in Continental Europe, touching up their make up in the bathroom of a chi-chi restaurant...' one of the women raises her A-line skirt and sprays her inner thighs the other woman looks on questioningly 'It's Eau d'Eros. I'm on a date!' Yes, it was an article on aids to female libido - the spray was, I think, supposed to be testosterone, though why she felt it necessary to spray it on her thighs I'm still unsure about, despite having read the article many times. How that one is going to sit with the article on what to look for when examining after sexual assault (that one did have pictures together with terrifying statistics), I'm not sure.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 10-17-2012 at 12:44 AM.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Lightbulb day four: in which our heroine eats fat

This eat moar fat thing. I really want it to work for me...but I'm not sure it does. Necessarily, when one is eating moar fat, one has to eat less volume. The problem is: I'm a volume girl. When it comes to food and other things one puts in one's mouth, I like to know I'm getting a lot. Size matters to me. At the moment I'm eating fat - by the pat, in the case of butter - but food is over too quickly, long before the eye and stomach have a chance to register that pleasing feeling of fullness, of satiety. Of course, with a plate of fatty goodness, the fullness does come, but only after I've weakened and eaten more moar fat. See below for details:
    B: yoghurt, gnawed on lamb shank bone and scraped out the marrow, a pear
    L: lamb shank meat, broc, pat of butter
    D: lamb and vegetable korma with additional mushrooms, a large bowl of yoghurt

Walked for an hour and 45 minutes. I'm on bed and bath duty tonight so probably no weights and planks. My planks are pathetic, I reduced myself to giggles at the ridiculousness of my lack of physical ability last night. Still, Rome wasn't built in a day.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I reduced myself to giggles at the ridiculousness of my lack of physical ability last night. Still, Rome wasn't built in a day.
    Exactly what happens to me each and every time I do any YAGOGing in front of my kids...

Cheeky pears

"Pears can just fuck off too. 'Cause they're gorgeous little beasts, but they're ripe for half an hour, and you're never there. They're like a rock or they're mush. In the supermarket, people banging in nails. "I'll just put these shelves up, mate, then you can have the pear." … So you think, "I'll take them home and they'll ripen up." But you put them in the bowl at home, and they sit there, going, "No! No! Don't ripen yet, don't ripen yet. Wait til he goes out the room! Ripen! Now now now!' Those cheeky pears." Eddie Izzard, Definite Article

I had a second cheeky pear last night. It was a diversionary tactic. I was ready to feed my patchwork existential angst some peanut butter, despite being so full of moar fat that I felt pained, but I detoured to the fruit bowl instead. I hate this quilt. It just doesn't sodding cohere and I have no faith that it ever will. But I've started so I'll finish.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 10-18-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Red face Weekly shop/carb loading

Walked for an hour and a half. There might be weights and planks later and then again...
    B: two eggs scrambled in butter, 4 walnuts
    L1: mixed roast root veg (beet, carrot, capsicum, parsnip - I think), sardines
    L2: orange slice, two melon chunks, date, blue cheese, brie, three nuts, apricot
    D: steak, carrots, capsicum, green beans
    WINE - bottle of shiraz (at this point only two glasses, but who am I trying to kid?)...ETA: yes, whole bottle, plus p'nut butter. Plus the desire to dance and be young again. Oh. good.
    There was once an episode of Spaced where Marsha went down to Threshers (off licence/bottle shop) and came back with 'the weekly shop' this rapidly entered our marital lexicon for my Friday night jaunts to score wine. If you are unfamiliar with the genius that is Spaced, I'm afraid I cannot find perfect YouTube clip to educate you, so this will have to do:

However, youtube does allow me to share this (you probably do have to be English and understand that you are either watching the next McNulty or Prime Minister or Boris Johnson to enjoy the full awesomeness (in the true meaning: something that inspires terror/awe), but still:
    Last edited by badgergirl; 10-19-2012 at 02:05 AM. Reason: excess

oh, really, Friday night princess?

time. I. grew. up.
    don't wanna
    Last edited by badgergirl; 10-19-2012 at 03:19 AM. Reason: added more fabulousness

First birthday party for niece. We took a nice salad of spinach, beetroot, walnuts and feta. It was the only primleo thing there. I had three small slices of homemade pizza and the salad and considered I'd got off very lightly (cake, sweets, chocolates, pies). Home for a chicken drumstick in cream, leek, bacon and mushroom sauce with silverbeet in sour cream with feta and red capsicum (spanakopita without the pita). And a cheeky pear. I'm now very full. Breakfast, battling a hangover, was an apple and two eggs, scrambled in butter.
    Tomorrow I'm on the first train into the city to supervise an oral exam for the trainee doctors. It's an all-day event in a hospital. Hmmm. I'll be late home too. Suddenly time-and-a-half doesn't seem quite so appealing.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 10-19-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Yesterday was oral exam day for the trainees. These are the O&Gs (ob/gyns) of the near future: this exam is the final hurdle, I believe. This was my first time staffing this kind of exam. I did a written a while ago, it was held in the library which I thought was cruel: answers answers everywhere and not a page to turn. Anyway, the written had prepared me for how panicked the candidates are (they lose the ability to tell the time) and how sugar dependent, but even so yesterday surprised me.

The exam has ten stations - rooms where the candidate faces a scenario, may include an actor, and is graded on how they respond - and outside each station is a chair and their prereading for that station. They get four minutes of reading time and then about ten minutes inside the room. My job, all day, was to check they moved on to the correct (clearly labelled, clockwise direction) station. We lost one, but otherwise all went well. I also collected the examiners' score papers from the rooms during reading time.

I walked to and from the hospital - 35 minutes each way at a fair clip - and was on my feet all day. I also got a lot of patchwork done and got paid time and a half, but it was a long day: 12 hours including the commute. I ate primally, but excessively, and drank a lot of coffee. One of the examiners admired my needlework and suggested that I should be a surgeon. Doctors are not like us.
    I'll do that exam again, I think.

When I got home I did another few hexagons of doom and made my wrists throb, but it seems to be coming together, hopefully...maybe.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 10-21-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Monday was a disaster of epic binge/purge proportions. I was tired. And sore. Physically and emotionally.

Onwards and upwards.