Page 13 of 282 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal page 13

badgergirl is online now Senior Member

Red face check mates

Primal Fuel
    Husband and I played chess and he whooped my ass (I suck at chess). Twice. I polished off a bottle of red and added a verboten two teaspoons of the dreaded p'butter to my daily intake. Daily intake was already huge (work gave me lunch: skewers of beef and satay chicken, cheese, nuts, ham, dried fruit) and fatty (dinner: tuna, avo, sour cream, jalepenos) so yesterday was a bit of a disaster diet and exercise (it rained so no extra walking) wise, but it was nice to hang with the husband and have some fun rather than spend the evening by myself (husband works on FateStorm most nights so I'm norma no-mates once the small child is out for the count).

I had (and failed) a phone interview yesterday too. That was fun, no really. It was good to get a straight answer: I'm not the right match for the role. It was nice to do it quickly and with a minimum of fuss rather than all the hoopla of a face-to-face interview (prep, time off, clothes, travel, nerves) to reach the same conclusion. Much more efficient all round.

No plans for the weekend, but I'm setting myself a challenge: HAVE FUN. The following weekend will be a write off - Saturday a first birthday party with the full onslaught of in-laws and Sunday a full ten-hour day of exam invigilating plus the usual commute, but it's time and a half and my manager (witch) will love me for doing it.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 10-11-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: remembered more food
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Hi Badger girl,
    Just dropped by your Journal.
    I would prefer to fail an interview by phone, and thinking about it have done a couple of times. I hate interviews, my brain goes to mush and I have verbal diarrhoea. Never heard of fatestorm before. Do you mean he works for them? I never understand these fantasy games.
    I hope you have lots and lots of fun this weekend. Your following weekend sounds a nightmare..

Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    Hi Badger girl,
    Just dropped by your Journal.
    I would prefer to fail an interview by phone, and thinking about it have done a couple of times. I hate interviews, my brain goes to mush and I have verbal diarrhoea. Never heard of fatestorm before. Do you mean he works for them? I never understand these fantasy games.
    I hope you have lots and lots of fun this weekend. Your following weekend sounds a nightmare...
    Hi Anne,
    Dropping in to people's journals is a bit like popping round for a cuppa, isn't it? Welcome to my place
    FateStorm is actually my husband's baby (along with number-one son [our dog] and the small boy). Husband devised the game mechanics, wrote it, did the design and layout and then the artwork. It's a lot of work for one person and I help out in a dutiful handmaiden way by editing the manuscript, which is an enormous task because although husband is aces at having ideas his writing style is...well a tangled thicket of impenetrable nonsense just about fits the bill.

The first book, Ascendancy, was in development for about ten years in various forms and I never truly believed it would make its way out into the world. My editing of that one was fairly light, not least because he kept rewriting it AFTER editing and I got mad at him for wasting my time. I do not share his fascination for roleplay games, though I have spent many hours sitting in pubs playing Ascendancy to help him, and I can find better things to do with my time than wade through tortured sentences (that's the day job after all). However, Ascendancy did find its way out into the world and has had quite respectable sales. The problem is that it needs a bloody good edit and has received reviews that say as much. Mea culpa.

Husband then released a number of supplements that I also edited, with a much firmer hand, to support the core rulebook. As well as having t-shirts and so forth with his art on them - modelled mainly by his family at this point.

Now he is working on a second core rulebook - same game mechanics, different setting/world. The editing job is akin to trying to eat Everest with a teaspoon. There's really no other option than to grin and bear it gulp by gulp, but I really hate doing it. Husband, despite having spent a number of years working on print publications, has no real clue how to manage editing cycles or appreciation that one read does not a copy edit make. I know that after I have rough edited - for simple sense - 300 pages of dense, dense text, I will have to do it all over again to edit for finesse. Then there's the proofreading and consistency checks. Even running a spellcheck is a nightmare because the text is littered with invented words. It's a complete nightmare of a job - give me medical, financial, offshore gas, IT editing any day of the week instead. And then he tinkers. Every touch of a text does run the risk of introducing errors... Did I mention it's a nightmare?

All of that notwithstanding, I'm very impressed by his achievement and commitment to this project. It's not easy to stand by and watch him devote his waking hours to something that nets so little financial reward when we are really only just managing to keep our heads above water by economising in uber frugal ways, but still. Fatestorm will never pay the bills, but it's a noble endeavour even if it does mean my downtime is spent tearing my hair out or feeling guilty for not touching it when I know I should (like now)!
    Last edited by badgergirl; 10-12-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Hi, thanks for the welcome.
    Wow, he must be very clever to devise that. Looks very professional to me, though in our family FIFA seems to be the only game they play.
    I now and again proof and edit academic papers which is a pain in the ass so I can imagine how tedious yours is.
    It must take a lot of time and energy. I get annoyed cos I think my husband spends too long playing online scrabble with his mum, so I know being the bitch I am I wouldn't like my husband to spend so long on game development. Unless of course it paid for a house with a swimming pool and gym!!!!
    Good luck with your proof reading.

Gold diggers

We went for a long drive to the goldfields, by way of a patchwork shop, and did a little walking and prospecting. Husband managed to get a grain of gold out of the creek by panning, but the metal detector we had borrowed didn't seem to be working very well and no 20oz nuggets appeared in our path, more's the pity. But, it was a nice day out in the bush and I enjoyed the peace and the sunshine. Small boy insisted on being carried back to the car, so that was today's lift heavy things.

The Australian landscape, while I have come to appreciate its stark beauty, will never feel as spiritually uplifting to me as good old Blighty. Oddly its the smell of the landscape I miss most and am most alienated by. Wattles and Eucalypts fill the air with resiny smells when I crave leaf mould and may blossom.

Two weeks of eating to excess and drinking to stupor have had the standard effect and I need to get back on the wagon properly. So. No more wine and no more peanut butter. You heard it here first. Weight waggling needs to resume too. This week will be hard, first weeks always are, but it will get easier again.

Sodding emotions - my subconscious wants to put a layer of fat between me and the world again as a kind of insulation, but I'm not going to fall for that trick. I'm going to get tough and sinewy. Planks and weights.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Panning for gold sounds like sooooo much fun! I know you can do that here in the US, just not around these parts. In Ohio you would be digging for coal - not nearly as much fun - or spelunking, which is. What is a patchwork shop?

I know when I did my 8 year stint n Germany, I missed our autumn leaves... All those golds and reds and oranges. I love the piney smell of the German woods just fine, but fall over here is just glorious. I used to tell other Americans that the German autumn is three weeks of ick immediately followed by winter.

Back in NJ, there are those who can't go for long without being on the shore and smelling the ocean air.

It really is incredible how much smells and scents affect us.

Lightbulb Day 1 of the badger reset: no wine, no p'nut butter

Patchwork shops sell fabric to make quilts. Quilting shops perhaps? Though this would seem a misnomer as most people seem to get their patchwork quilts professionally quilted on a huge machine rather than attempting it themselves. I am supposed to be making a quilt for my friend based on the colours and patterns of Islamic tiles, but I'm horribly disillusioned with the project. This is my second full-size quilt and I currently hate it, but I think I went through similar feelings of revulsion with the other one I made for a different friend. Ah, here it is, hand pieced and machine quilted (by me with a walking foot):

I miss the sea too, though oddly not as much as I miss the smell of the earth. Growing up on an island, the sea was always just over the edge of every hill, round every corner, it was impossible not to see it on at least one horizon. However, Lancaster, Tripoli (Greece) and then London got me out of the habit. Strangely, pulling into North Melbourne on the train, past the cranes and shipping containers, often brings a lump to my throat as I remember Portsmouth (not quite Zion), but then I have yet to sit down and weep here, there or by Grand Central Station.

Today, since it seems I do better with some degree of accountability:
    B: yoghurt, 3 walnuts, coffee
    L: large lump of cheddar, two teaspoons of whipped cream (both courtesy of leftovers in the office kitchen - I was hungry and plans to IF came to naught)
    D: pork chop, beetroot and carrot salad, spinach, celery, yoghurt

Planks. Weight waggling. The usual hour and 25 minutes walk.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 10-15-2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: added quilting

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    The quilt is gorgeous! We don't have any specialty shops for quilting supplies around here, there are just dedicated sections in the craft and fabric stores (some of which are decently large), if you want to go that route. A lot of folks still do it the original way - just save fabric scraps and make something pretty out of that. I didn't know you sew - wish I could. I bought myself a Viking sewing maching a few years back, a basic model, just to get to know the ropes before I advanced (wishful thinking) to a more sophisticated model, but life has a way of distracting me from a lot of things. Sigh. Anyway, there are whole professional conventions here dedicated to the art of quilting, and I have known one lady who was an incredible sewer whose daughter is a quilt artist.

Is that handsome young man Small Boy?

Speaking of islands, I have had this incredible desire to go see the Faroe Islands. I saw pics of them a few years back, and was just blown away. I am a total landlubber, and can't even swim, so I don't understand this urge, but hey - maybe some part of my future is holed up on those islands, to make me feel this way. At least I increased my geography knowledge. I think my perfect trip would be Iceland, the Faroes, the Shetlands, the Orkneys, and perhaps the Hebrides. Yup, six months of island vacation should just about do it...

I HAVE been to the Frisian islands a bit - stayed on Sylt for a week once, and the strange landscape (for my experience) was wonderful. I looked up the Isle of Wight, since the only islands I was aware of were the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. Wight is big! Dunno' what I was expecting - maybe something two miles wide or so. Down there the weather is not too harsh, no?

Badgergirl - aaahh your little boy is a cutie pie and your quilt is fabulous. I would love one of them in blue and white to match my bedroom.
    Like Crabbcakes I also have a very little used sewing machine. I have now decided I am no good at sewing etc and decide I will support the economy by buying from those who are.

Lightbulb Reset day two

Hello ladies and lurkers (both male and female)...
    Thank you for your kind comments about the fruit of my loom and loins! Small boy is now quite a bit bigger than he was in that picture as that quilt was finished in 2009, just before he turned two, and he's fast approaching five now.
    The quilt I'm currently working on (hand sewn again) is in shades of blue, white and turquoise. The pieces are all hexagons and it's proving almost impossible to visualise/plan. I don't like the idea of following someone else's pattern, ain't that the truth, so I try to create my own...but there's a reason there are books of these things. It's really quite stressful. Here is what the plan looked like originally:
    Inspired, amongst other things, by this.
    But then after I'd done a fair few blocks - the turquoise 'daisies' - I realised I would need to amend the plan as I had nowhere near enough fabric. The project mouldered for a few months as I visited every patchwork shop in Victoria on the hunt for suitable extra fabrics to extend the design. It's supposed to be a surprise Christmas present for my flatmate from the year in Greece who loves turquoise and Mediterranean/Islamic designs. At this rate I might finish it for next Christmas. However, I have found a good bridging fabric and have a much better idea of where I'm going with all the fabrics I've collected thus far and despaired of. It might come together yet... I'll take a few progress shots for you!
    Also, as part of the Christmas bundle, I made her baby daughter, who was born on leap day and is therefore a 'leapling' a playmat:

That was made with some thrifted fabric as well as specially bought stuff and mainly machine sewn, with hand applique. The sewing machine terrifies me.

But this is a food/exercise journal, right?
    B: yoghurt, four walnuts, coffee
    L: liver pate, celery and carrot sticks
    D: roast lamb shoulder (meat and as much marrow as I could scrape out), courgettes, roast carrots, capsicum, broc. Yoghurt, pistachios.

Walked an hour and 25 minutes. I'm on bath and bed duty and then there will be the work of patch so I doubt there will be much in the way of weight waggling or planking tonight.

Second reset day successfully completed.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 10-16-2012 at 01:00 AM.