Page 104 of 293 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 2921

Thread: waiting for the whoosh - badgergirl's journal page 104

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Bloody firewall won't let me view the Blues Bar, will check it out later, do likes me some blues/rock blues/delta blues as well!

Caro Emerald is tops, she played Brizz the other week, but I was a bit slow and it sold out, bummer....

Fair play, I can see why that blues bar do gets some gigs on, might have to put the bite on me mate and see if he fancies a night in the smoke....

Blimey, I can remember the original of Yes Sir I can Boogie, you couldn't beat a bit of Baccara back in the day!

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Dramatis personae: R (FiL), M (MiL), Annabel (husband’s problem sister), Terrence (husband’s older brother), Karen (BiL’s wife, a Brit); Maddy (another of husband’s sisters) and Anakin (her son – same age – within days – as the small boy).

* All names have been changed. You’ve had some of this before, but events have moved on so I’m writing it up as a whole.

So. It’s difficult to piece together events, but I think it went sth like this… R lost his p/t job (or did not have his contract renewed or whatever) at the college he had been teaching at. M went POSTAL. As it happened, this all kicked off on the day that they were going to Karen’s citizenship ceremony. M – possibly worried about money or who knows what – goes mental at Annabel: you’re here sucking us dry, you don’t contribute, I can’t do anything with you here…. In the end she and R tell Annabel that she has two weeks to find somewhere else to live and in the meantime she has to stay outside on the veranda.

Meanwhile, Terrence, as eldest son, feels duty-bound to give Annabel a temporary berth and perhaps his parents a break. He tells Karen that he wants Annabel to stay with them for two weeks in Sept to help with business stuff. Karen, with trepidation, agrees, but messages me on Facebook because I know Annabel better than her (wtf? No I don’t, Annabel leaves any room I’m in). I – in my usual truculent and trenchant manner – tell her that she is insane to agree with this, that Annabel has severe (undiagnosed and untreated) mental health issues, that this will put immense strain on their marriage and that given that Karen has lupus Terrence should put his wife ahead of his sister. Karen says that she thinks it’ll be okay, it’s only for two weeks, it’s important to Terrence, she wants to support him…yadayada.

I go home and instruct husband to school his brother on his responsibilities as a husband; husband writes Terrence an email. Doesn’t hear back and assumes he’s offended Terrence. In the end it turns out that Terrence just hasn’t been checking his mail.
    The situation at R and M’s settles slightly.

A few weeks pass. I assume that the stay with Terrence and Karen is no longer on the cards.

When we go to drop off M’s birthday present, Terrence is already there. It becomes apparent – although nothing is said directly (this being husband’s family) – that Terrence is there to pick Annabel up and take her back to their house (deep, deep in the bush – totally cut off from public transport). We cheerfully say that we’ll see Terrence (and Annabel) the next day for yard work whereupon Annabel freaks out about not having packed the right clothes… We stay for half an hour or and bump into Maddy who arrives with Anakin in tow, ostensibly to give M her birthday present, but really to arrange childcare for Anakin over the next two weeks because it is the school holidays. Anakin will be staying with another of husband’s sisters some of the time, but perhaps he can have a sleepover at Terrance and Karen’s one night? Perhaps if Anakin is at T&K’s small boy would like a playdate? Perhaps if R and M are looking after Anakin they can take small boy too (not if they’re at their house, they can’t – I try to minimise the time that small boy spends there).

The next day we show up at T&K’s at around 10am to help. We bring tools and set to work. I don’t keep a close eye, but it seems like Annabel is just drifting about without actually DOING anything (I am not the most diligent of workers myself, but I did try to overcome my natural inclination to sloth and contribute).

Today I get a cri de coeur from Karen. Her lupus has flared up with the stress. Annabel is doing some weird, weird shit*. I was right, she’s unhinged. Karen is spending a lot of time hiding in the bedroom with the dogs, who are also freaked out by Annabel. Annabel is eating them out of house and home and is using obscene quantities of water (they are on dam water, I think, so being economical with water is important). Terrence is just ignoring everything and refusing to engage. Karen is fearful for their marriage and doesn’t think Annabel will ever leave. She does nothing except passive-aggressively follow Karen around.

Yesterday R and M dropped Anakin round, from the other sister’s, for a playdate. By the time I got home, husband was done in. He said Anakin was chaotic – happy and a lovely kid, but NO attention span and completely unable to settle. Hmmm.

Karen is hoping that Anakin will need to stay at theirs to give Terrence the push to get Annabel out.

I sent Karen the details for her local mental crisis intervention team.

Watch this space, as they say.

* Weird, weird shit. When it comes to Annabel, this could be anything from insisting on only drinking hot water, but stealing used teabags, to showering for half an hour with all her clothes on; putting chickens in the house, because they escaped out of their pen, instead of returning them to their pen or visibly changing personality half-way through a sentence. She seems – layperson, here – to have textbook borderline personality disorder; especially given that BPD sufferers have a tendency to trigger rage/aggression/dislike in others. I don’t know how she does it, but Annabel can stand still and quietly in an ENRAGING way.

B: two eggs; coffee
    L: two poached eggs, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, grilled tomato, spinach
    D: steak

YAY! steak and eggs day!
    Last edited by badgergirl; 09-25-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Dramatis personae: R (FiL), M (MiL), Annabel (husband’s problem sister), Terrence (husband’s older brother), Karen (BiL’s wife, a Brit); Maddy (another of husband’s sisters) and Anakin (her son – same age – within days – as the small boy).

* All names have been changed. You’ve had some of this before, but events have moved on so I’m writing it up as a whole.
    Sounds like a Haldol laced air freshner is in order........ maybe a lavender or sea breeze scented one would be nice...

B: two eggs; coffee
    L: two poached eggs, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, grilled tomato, spinach
    D: steak

YAY! steak and eggs day!
    And sausage & bacon to boot, oh yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Sounds like a Haldol laced air freshner is in order........ maybe a lavender or sea breeze scented one would be nice...
    A bit extreme, but maybe something almond flavoured....

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhansakdave View Post
    And sausage & bacon to boot, oh yeah!

A bit extreme, but maybe something almond flavoured....
    Almond flavor.... hmmm cyanide would be less exteremme than Haldol? lol.....

Hydrogen cyanide (HCN) and cyanogen chloride (ClCN) are colorless-to-pale yellow liquids that will turn into a gas near room temperature. HCN has a characteristic odor of bitter almonds,
    https://www.cia.gov/library/reports/...st_CBRN.htm#03

I can't get involved. All I can do is watch from the sidelines and grind my teeth. Terrence and Karen need to talk to each other and make joint decisions, without me getting husband to stick his oar in again.

When we first moved here, Annabel came round every night and stayed until 11pm. In the end, husband had to tell her to stop (which is when she started actively avoiding me - yay) whereupon Annabel told husband she thought she was helping us and that we were lonely. Er. Words failed me.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 09-26-2013 at 01:50 AM.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

I can't get involved. All I can do is watch from the sidelines and grind my teeth. Terrence and Karen need to talk to each other and make joint decisions, without me getting husband to stick his oar in again.
    Your probably better off on the sidelines, frustrating as it may be, can't see no winners in this game!

Get yourself a gumshield to save the gnashers....

Boys are off to the beach tomorrow. Today was a lazy day - I even had a midday nap.

B: bacon, six rashers; coffee (no other options as we needed to get groceries); tsp p'nut butter
    L: tiny bowl of broc and blue cheese soup, small handful of macadamia nuts; three mugs of milk - all that bacon made me gaspingly thirsty
    D: pork ribs, roast beetroot and brussels (boys get spuds and carrots as well)

Half my plate was brussels - heaven is a charred, salty, garlicky brussel sprout. Now, what shall I eat and cook while the boys are away and I don't have to pander to their palates? I have avocados, red cabbage, aubergine, smoked salmon, eggs, beef, sour cream...

Also, there's a bucket of milk magically making yoghurt in the oven right now. Suddenly, Monday morning seems a lot less depressing.
    Last edited by badgergirl; 09-28-2013 at 01:25 AM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Sorry about the family drama.

Half my plate was brussels - heaven is a charred, salty, garlicky brussel sprout.
    + a gazillion. I also occasionally do them in olive oil 'til the edges are charred. Much salt and garlic of course. My mother, bless her often mediocre cooking skills, used to boil them until they were almost mush. My brother and I would rub them on a stick of butter to give them some flavor.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite