Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talking to friends about cutting grains page

rosie1973 is offline Junior Member

Talking to friends about cutting grains

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Why do people resist cutting grains so much? I have a couple of friends with digestive issues - two with IBS and one with Colitis. Both of them are so resistant to cut out grains. When I give them resources to read, tell them to just give it a shot for one month and see how they feel, their responses always sound like lame excuses to not try. It angers me that my friend with Colitis has a doctor who would prefer giving her these wild meds and since he's such an "expert" she prefers his advice over challenging him a little with her own research.

I know I can't force people to adapt to healthier eating habits, but I've literally not been able to convince ONE friend in the 1.5 years I've been primal. People are interested, they think it's impressive that I can leave a bun on the side of my plate, but when people in my office are sick 5x a year and I've not been sick one time, still no one wants to make an effort.

So I've all but stop talking about what I eat and why. I don't want to seem "above" anyone. I just care about people and wish more of the general public would catch on. I'm afraid there's still a long long way to go. The best I can do at this point is just lead by example.

What has worked? How to get people to stop defending their "healthy" diets?

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    It's a helluva monkey on their back.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    You can offer your friends some help and preach about Paleo but honestly if people don't want to make changes about their diet/lifestyle there is nothing you can do about it. Just go on with your primal life.

My friend the other day told me that I'm crazy for not eating grains. I just told her that grains are inflammatory. I have some friends that are vegan, vegetarians, crappy eaters but we don't even discuss food. They know i generally eat healthy and my Paleo eating doesn't even come up. I also don't preach to them about their eating but i have no problem educating them about paleo.

Try going to a restaurant with a vegan..It's ridiculous how long their lists of 'I can't eat this'.
    Last edited by cayla29s; 07-02-2012 at 06:57 PM.

fat
    fat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosie1973 View Post
    I know I can't force people to adapt to healthier eating habits, but I've literally not been able to convince ONE friend in the 1.5 years I've been primal.
    There's a new post every other day here about evangelizing SAD eaters. Change it into

I know I can't force people to take up a new religion, but I've literally not been able to convince ONE friend in the 1.5 years I've been a Muslim.
    I know I can't force people to take up a new religion, but I've literally not been able to convince ONE friend in the 1.5 years I've been a Jehovah's Witness.
    I know I can't force people to adapt to healthier eating habits, but I've literally not been able to convince ONE friend in the 1.5 years I've been vegan.
    I know I can't force people to take up a new political philosophy, but I've literally not been able to convince ONE friend in the 1.5 years since I took those classes at the Ayn Rand Institute.
    Get it now?
    Last edited by fat; 07-02-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    You've got a case of "Evangelist disease",
    You've seen the light and want all those you love to be able to experience dietary bliss as well.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink"
    Lead by example & offer when asked,
    If you push too hard, people get their back's up and will cut their nose off despite their face.
    They have to walk their own path, when they are ready, they will make the choices they need to.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I like to kidnap them for the 90 day period it takes to detox. I have a nice padded cell in the basement. You may not be able to lead a horse to water....but you can hold it captive in a small stable where it is totally dependent on what you give it for nourishment. Hey, just saying

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I like to kidnap them for the 90 day period it takes to detox. I have a nice padded cell in the basement. You may not be able to lead a horse to water....but you can hold it captive in a small stable where it is totally dependent on what you give it for nourishment. Hey, just saying
    Having flasbacks to past "Alien Abductions"
    So that's what it was about.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    well, you gather up their closest friends and loved ones all into a room and you bring the addict into that room where all their loved ones have prepared short letters saying how much they are loved and how much they hope Friend will accept the help offered
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    some commercial kept repeating on a lame-ass cable channel the other night. it was for a medicine for some digestive issue. the potential side effects include paralysis, tuberculosis and leukemia. good lawd, change what you eat! i wanted to throw rocks at the tv!!

i have been grain-free almost 3 years. my friends thought i was crazy, and now it's just, "oh, you won't eat that." even with my improved health nobody else will make the switch. i've totally shut up about it. save your breath.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    well, you gather up their closest friends and loved ones all into a room and you bring the addict into that room where all their loved ones have prepared short letters saying how much they are loved and how much they hope Friend will accept the help offered
    Wait... I thought it meant cutting the flour with sugar so that you can reduce the digestive problems while still giving it the proper addictive KICK you need when mainlining the stuff...
    Wrong again!

Agreed all around... unless some one asks for help, don't offer it. And even when asked, expect people to look at you like you have a second head and completely ignore you when you suggest giving up grain, refined/packaged products etc.
    The sad part is that I fully expect to attend my FiL's funeral in the not too distant future because he had a quintuple bypass at christmas, and was back to SAD by 3months post. Nothing I can do.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast