Thread: False Anemia Diagnosis and Primal page

billspears Guest

I've been on Primal for about 2 months and have lost 23 pounds and have more energy than I can ever remember having. Now, for the kicker, in a routine blood test I came up low in iron and thus I supposedly have anemia. I find this hard to believe since I train 5 times a week, wake up spontaneously at about 5:30 and have tons of energy. So I clearly am not suffering from fatigue and BTW my skin is it's usual pink hue. I remember an article somewhere by Mark or Eades or someone, the gist of which was that since we eat a lot of red meat we may have a problem keeping our iron down and that there was some way a blood test could indicate the need for an iron supplement, but that there actually was plenty of iron in the body and there was some reason the body was keeping it low in the blood.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

avocado is offline Senior Member

Do you mean a false diagnosis of iron deficiency or a false diagnosis of iron-deficiency anemia? One could have iron deficiency without anemia. You'd have to have a blood count to evaluate anemia, not just an iron test.

billspears Guest

I knew that might be confusing. I don't see the Doctor until the 29th. I was told over the phone, "you have anemia, your iron levels are low." But, as I said before, it would be an unusual anemia without fatigue. It's very hard to believe that I could have low red blood cell count and not notice while on the tread mill (just ten minutes to warm up).

Did my statement about the body pulling iron out of the blood make any sense?

avocado is offline Senior Member

I don't know anything about eating red meat messing with blood test for iron deficiency, sorry!

3fiddyz is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Bill, I remember reading something along those lines also, but sorry, I don't remember on which site I saw it.