Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiber intake page

Fiber intake

Primal Fuel
    Hey all,

I've been primal for about 3 weeks now, and I've been working on trying to get my family to go primal too. So far, they've been interested and love the primal food I've been making. One big issue I've been having is trying to get my mother to give up her constant bran for fiber intake. She eats All-Bran for breakfast, and also has a bran muffin for her morning coffee break snack. I've been trying to convince her that she doesn't need all that fiber, and that from all the fat she'll be eating, she wont need the bran at all, but she's very reluctant to give it up.

Do you have any words of wisdom from prior experience, or any suggestions on how I can convince her otherwise?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    If she has access to the internet, send her over to Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults. Lots of really great info there.

Yeah, fiber does not like me. We had a fight once and I lost. So now I just walk a different way when I see it.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Tell her she's paying good money to eat shredded cardboard and would probably get more nutrition from eating the packaging instead. Replace both with fruits & nuts.
    The thread below had a lot of discussion on this topic recently, may have some good info for you:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57849.html

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    instead of trying to convince point her at the google and let her make up her own mind. gutsense is a great site.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    If she has access to the internet, send her over to Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults. Lots of really great info there.

Yeah, fiber does not like me. We had a fight once and I lost. So now I just walk a different way when I see it.
    Thanks for the link! I'll definitely check it out and send her over to it. Her and my father were always buying the "high fiber" cereals. You know, the ones that claim 13 grams of fiber per serving. They thought I was insane when I told them not to eat it, since they obviously need all that daily fiber. Sometimes I wish parents would listen to their children haha

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Tell her she's paying good money to eat shredded cardboard and would probably get more nutrition from eating the packaging instead. Replace both with fruits & nuts.
    The thread below had a lot of discussion on this topic recently, may have some good info for you:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57849.html
    The "paying good money" is a whole other issue. I've been telling her that we need to go through the cupboard and donate all the things that we shouldn't be eating because if its in the house, it will be a huge temptation. She said that if we do that, we'll be wasting their hard earned money. I said she has to decide which is more important. Her hard earned money she spent on that food, or the years of her life she'll lose by continuing to eat it until its all gone. Thank you for the link though!

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleyisbister View Post
    The "paying good money" is a whole other issue. I've been telling her that we need to go through the cupboard and donate all the things that we shouldn't be eating because if its in the house, it will be a huge temptation. She said that if we do that, we'll be wasting their hard earned money. I said she has to decide which is more important. Her hard earned money she spent on that food, or the years of her life she'll lose by continuing to eat it until its all gone. Thank you for the link though!
    I went thru my mom's cupboard yesterday, collecting all the canned fruit & other canned foods, kraft mayo & other low qual groceries I could find. I put it all in my backpack & walked over to our local Publix, where she does most of her shopping. I got $18+ credit back for it all, except 2 cans from another store, which would not scan. They didn't ask for receipts. I bought 3 lbs of gras-fed ground beef on sale for $6.25/lb & we're making burgers & steamed veggies tonite for dinner. She likes the lean grass fed beef I've been making for her but she still thinks grains are neccesities to move her bowels. Education online & experimentation with higher fat meals, over time, hopefully will open her mind as well as her bowels.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Maybe she likes Bran? You don't have to convert people. I would be seriously annoyed if a family member was constantly trying to get me to give up something I enjoy.

My mom doesn't like having heart disease, nor does she like being overweight/borderline obese, plus she's always tired from the heart disease/damage to her mitral valve. She likes it when I shop & cook for her, but she does gripe about the lack of bagels in the house. I actually miss bagels sometimes too, lol. I told her she can eat bagels in the future if she chooses to, but for now, we're both eating clean & primal together this summer. She.s lost 11 lbs in 15 days, so she is happy about that.

She does get annoyed at times & complains. But most of the time, she scarfs down the meat & veggies with gusto, & lately she's been complaining less & eating more.

Her doctors have pretty much done all they can do for her. She is a serious long term carb, bread addict. I'd be remiss if I didn't do what I can do for her that will, potentially, help her recover & gain strength & health. I'm living w/ her for the summer, to do just that. I'd hope anyone would do the same for an ailing parent. I can handle her complaining several times a week about missing her bran muffins & bagels. She lost 11 lbs in 15 days, likes me shopping & cooking for her & we're swimming together & maybe in another 30-60 days, she'll be a lot healthier, energetic & thinner.
    Last edited by Betorq; 07-07-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast