Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Fiber intake page 3

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    96
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinNM View Post
    Do whatever you can to get her to change her eating ways. I lost my mom four years ago to complications from diabetes. She was entrenched in CW and the SAD like someone had poured concrete on her. She also made horrific food choices and basically ignored her diabetes until she had to go for a blood test and then she'd "be good" for about a week prior. Yes, folks denial ain't just a river in Egypt. The last year of her life she was miserable and dialysis was a miserable, miserable experience for her. When she made the decision to stop treatment and go into hospice, she was actually excited about not having to submit to the ordeal of dialysis any more. It was and still is horribly sad for me because if she had made better choices, she might still be around. She's why I'm trying to make better choices - I don't want to be her - so good for you for trying to help your mom maybe look at things in a different, healthier light.
    That's one huge thing tha'ts scaring me. In 2004 my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer. He beat it, thankfully and has been in remission ever since. In 2005, he was diagnosed with diabetes. Unfortunately, he doesnt pay attention to it at all, including never checking his blood sugar. He will eat whatever he wants, when he wants and in whatever amounts he wants. I've literally seen him sit down and eat 3/4 of a pie in one sitting as a meal.... I cant remember where I read it, but I saw somewhere that if type 2 diabetics don't do anything to try to get rid of it, after about 8-10 years their pancreas gives out and they turn to type 1. If that's true, I'm getting extremely nervous especially because he's had bad knees for years, and lately his knees and feet have been bothering him... My mom is really open to primal, and he says he is too, but I cant see him going out of his way to do it. I can see him eating it if I or my mom cooks food that way, but not on his own. I'm not too sure what to do...

  2. #22
    SteakNchop's Avatar
    SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleyisbister View Post
    Part of me wants to laugh and part of me wants to thank you! You just gave me the perfect idea to help her. She's used to bran muffins, so I can make her fruit muffins with coconut flour. As for the bathroom stuff, totally feel your pain. Used to be like that daily before I cut out gluten. I found drinking mint tea helped settle my stomach, and also slow down the bathroom trips. Maybe give that a try? P.s. how the hell did you manage to get 70g's of it?! That just boggles my mind...
    2 lbs. nectarines - 15.3 grams
    10 oz frozen cherries - 6 grams
    1 lb. of apricots - 9.1 grams
    baked apple chips - 6 grams
    1.5 cups apple sauce - 6 grams
    cup of raspberries -8 grams
    1/2 cup coconut flour - 24 grams (I think this was the killer...I've approached 50 or 60 grams of fiber from fruit and/or vegetables but never had any issues)

    All that and some other founds with negligible fiber content for a grand total of 74.44 grams of fiber according to mydailyplate.com. I think in the future, I'm going to try and monitor my fiber intake a little....I average slightly more than 3,000 cals a day and only ate around 1,000 calories of protein and fat yesterday.....so figure it out. Not my usual, but that's what happens when you buy several lbs. of fruit and a bag of coconut flour.
    Last edited by SteakNchop; 07-10-2012 at 07:56 PM.

  3. #23
    RobinNM's Avatar
    RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleyisbister View Post
    .... I cant remember where I read it, but I saw somewhere that if type 2 diabetics don't do anything to try to get rid of it, after about 8-10 years their pancreas gives out and they turn to type 1. ...
    That's how they used to quantify diabetes, but the more recent way of referring to it is type I is the autoimmune version where the body does not produce insulin at all. Type II (or diet and lifestyle induced) will always be type II, but you can go from diet controlled to insulin dependent. Your dad sounds an awful lot like my mom. She taught my sister's dog how to recognize the box of Vanilla Wafers for Pete's sake. Even after we had all moved out of the house, I don't remember my mother ever NOT having candy or cookies or something like that. She would buy huge packs of stuff at Sam's Club and then share them with us or the neighbors or what have you. I found out after she died that she would buy those big cakes at Sam's (which are actually pretty good) and eat what she wanted and then give the rest to the neighbor so we didn't find out what she was doing. Her kidneys started going and her liver started going and that leads to all sorts of things like ascites which is a build up of fluid in the abdomen. At the end she was having to go for regular procedures called paracentesis which is basically sticking a huge needle in the side of your belly and draining out the fluid - sometimes a couple of liters.

    I'm going to make a gender-based assumption and say that your mom does most of the grocery shopping and not your dad. If you can get your mom on board, then maybe just by the sheer fact that she won't buy that crap any more, your dad will be on board because he's got no choice. If it's not in the house, then he'll have to work harder for it and that may slow him down. It may not stop him completely, but he might think twice about it if he has to go to the store to get something himself.

    Just be really positive and talk up the good aspects of this way of life and eating. If you can get him to commit even partially, that's better than nothing. Encourage him that you would like him around as long as possible and he can aid in that by not eating almost the entire pie for dinner. Good luck with him. People only change when they want and are ready to change, so it's a fine balancing act between encouraging and pushing so hard that they turn away from it just to be ornery.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by SteakNchop View Post
    2 lbs. nectarines - 15.3 grams
    10 oz frozen cherries - 6 grams
    1 lb. of apricots - 9.1 grams
    baked apple chips - 6 grams
    1.5 cups apple sauce - 6 grams
    cup of raspberries -8 grams
    1/2 cup coconut flour - 24 grams (I think this was the killer...I've approached 50 or 60 grams of fiber from fruit and/or vegetables but never had any issues)

    All that and some other founds with negligible fiber content for a grand total of 74.44 grams of fiber according to mydailyplate.com. I think in the future, I'm going to try and monitor my fiber intake a little....I average slightly more than 3,000 cals a day and only ate around 1,000 calories of protein and fat yesterday.....so figure it out. Not my usual, but that's what happens when you buy several lbs. of fruit and a bag of coconut flour.
    Wow, I never realized there was that much fiber in each of those. Definitely doesn't seem so odd to reach that amount when you break it down like that. Hmm... I wonder if the fiber in coconut flour would be processed differently through our bodies so maybe it would have more of an effect than fruit/ vegetables? I've always had issues trying to get enough fat in my diet.

  5. #25
    SteakNchop's Avatar
    SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleyisbister View Post
    Wow, I never realized there was that much fiber in each of those. Definitely doesn't seem so odd to reach that amount when you break it down like that. Hmm... I wonder if the fiber in coconut flour would be processed differently through our bodies so maybe it would have more of an effect than fruit/ vegetables? I've always had issues trying to get enough fat in my diet.
    I would guess because it's a much more concentrated form of fiber. A half cup of it is 40 carbs, 24 of them being fiber. It may also be because most of the fiber in coconut is insoluble.

    I generally don't have any issues getting enough fat..but when you fill that much of your food intake with carbohydrate it's usually going to replace the fat.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinNM View Post
    ....Your dad sounds an awful lot like my mom. She taught my sister's dog how to recognize the box of Vanilla Wafers for Pete's sake. Even after we had all moved out of the house, I don't remember my mother ever NOT having candy or cookies or something like that....
    Bahaha my dad is exactly like that too! He gives their dog Cheezies, cereal, licorice, etc. I've forbidden him to give any to my dog, but its hard when their dog begs as soon as any food like that comes out.

    I really am sorry though that your mom had to go through all of that, and you had to watch it happen. I know how frustrating it is for me now. I cant imagine how hard it would be in that situation.

    Unfortunately, its usually the 3 of us who go to get groceries. Very rarely is he not there, so he makes sure he get his chips/ Cheezies, and other snacks. I've been trying to get them to go through their cupboards, but since they've already spent all their money on the food we have in our pantry, they want to use it up... I know if I can get my mom fully on board, and feeling comfortable with going primal, it will make it easier for my dad. Just hope that a month is enough time to get them prepared.

    Well, they've already seen the changes in me. I have endometriosis, and I have extreme pain with it. From being primal for 3 weeks, I went from taking pain killers daily, to not using any. The drastic change in me is what has made them even consider primal.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by SteakNchop View Post
    I would guess because it's a much more concentrated form of fiber. A half cup of it is 40 carbs, 24 of them being fiber. It may also be because most of the fiber in coconut is insoluble.

    I generally don't have any issues getting enough fat..but when you fill that much of your food intake with carbohydrate it's usually going to replace the fat.
    My body seems to crave protein like crazy, so I'll either eat eggs or leftover meat for breakfast, usually another piece of meat for lunch and supper along with some vegetables, and then my snacks consist of fruit/ vegetables and occasionally some hard boiled eggs. I naturally dont seem to end up eating too many carbohydrates, but most of the meat I have at home in the freezer doesnt have skin on it. I try to cook most things in either butter or olive oil, but I dont know if thats going to be enough fat...

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    My mom doesn't like having heart disease, nor does she like being overweight/borderline obese, plus she's always tired from the heart disease/damage to her mitral valve. She likes it when I shop & cook for her, but she does gripe about the lack of bagels in the house. I actually miss bagels sometimes too, lol. I told her she can eat bagels in the future if she chooses to, but for now, we're both eating clean & primal together this summer. She.s lost 11 lbs in 15 days, so she is happy about that.
    That's awesome.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •