Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiber intake page 2

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Primal Fuel
    i wish I could do this for my mom...I told her if she moved in with us for 2 weeks I could get her on track. Serious obesity and carb addiction too.

It's nice to see some other people are going through the same issues. My mom doesn't like bran. She's just been told by CW that she needs it. She wants to try primal, but she's not sure how to do it. The whole "can't teach an old dog new tricks" thing. I know I may sound harsh to everyone, but my mom is 56, and has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, bladder issues, back problems, arthritis, etc. my dad is 63 and is diabetic (doesn't follow the diet at all), has major knee problems, and is even a cancer survivor. They are both 50+ lbs overweight. I'm 21 and I'll be damned that I will risk losing my parents at this young of an age because of something I can help fix. I may nag and sound like a spoiled brat because I won't listen to them but it's because I love y family to death, and I'd rather not watch them basically commit suicide like this.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Me too. Except I'm 46, my mom is 75, approx 30 lbs overweight (she's short), heart disease, 2 heart ops, all sorts of health issues like chronic UTI, bletheritis, hypothyroid, incontinence. She just said she lost 7 lbs since the past 2 weeks since I removed all the grain-based & crap oil & sugary stuff from her pantry & fridge.

The CW version of getting elderly sucks as far I'm witnessing it from her, my dad & most of their friends. I'd rather be trampled to death by grass fed cows or hit by an organic produce delivery truck @ a young age, than suffer like that.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Mine too.

My mom is 77 and has had her gall bladder removed decades ago, a mastectomy before that, and recently lost 40 pounds she actually needed because taking antacids and a PPI every single day made the absolute perfect environment for h.pylori to return with a vengeance and create multiple ulcers that went undiagnosed for almost a year.

And the doctor has her taking a statin (yes, I've told her the only thing they will do is make her feel worse) which has given her peripheral neuropathy, for which they have prescribed a pain med in additon to her arthritis meds. Seriously.

What drives me nuts is that she could be a perfectly healthy woman. We're from tough farmer stock. My grandma (her mother) just died 6 months ago, a week away from her 96th birthday, and that was after she had a couple of falls and was put in a rehab center so she couldn't cook her own meals anymore. I've tried to tell my mom this, but she takes all of those meds anyway, and if you look in her fridge it's all fake lowfat chemical crap. Argh!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

That's the same with mine! She's on bladder mess, statins, hypertension mess, you name it. We come from good genes too. My grandma is 97, lives on the independent side of a care home and still swims and even lifts weights!

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleyisbister View Post
    That's the same with mine! She's on bladder mess, statins, hypertension mess, you name it. We come from good genes too. My grandma is 97, lives on the independent side of a care home and still swims and even lifts weights!
    Your 97 y.o. weight lifting grandma KICKS ASS!!

Thankfully I talked my mom into dropping the statins some months ago, to which her prescribing doctor said, "..ok..." So now I have her taking double doses of strong probiotics each evening before bed time. Slowly but surely....I'm home fermenting kim chee, milk & water kefir How to Brew Water Kefir as well as coconut yogurt this week. Looking to make some fermented chili sauce Fermented Hot Chili Sauce Recipe & have been wanting to do some garlic pickles for some time now.

I agree haha She's our family's pride and joy.

Oooo those sound good! I actually had a chat with my momma tonight, and I've even talked to our family doc too about primal, and he said he isn't opposed to it, but would be curious to see the effects it would have. I don't think my mom will drop her meds too soon, but I have a month to work some magic before I move an hour away for school... Hopefully I can and it will work out. When I talked to her, she said that all the primal stuff makes total sense to her, she just isnt sure how to start, or how to cook like that. I've told her that even if she's tired after work, she can sit in the kitchen and watch me or ask questions and she can learn that way, rather than always doing it herself.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday, I ate 70 grams of fiber. Not on purpose, just with the combination of fruit and coconut flour, I got there. I've gone #2 21 times. No exaggeration - I counted. I've missed school, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I don't expect to be lifting weights or biking the next few days. I've had a horrible stomach ache which is starting to subside, but my ass is on fire (you can't even begin to imagine how much it hurts to go to the bathroom) since I've gone to the bathroom 21 times and counting. I've felt nauseous all day. If I lie down or sit down, I immediately have to go to the bathroom. I'm typing this standing up. This has been going on all day.

This is been the worst day of my life and you can thank fiber for that.

Quote Originally Posted by SteakNchop View Post
    Yesterday, I ate 70 grams of fiber. Not on purpose, just with the combination of fruit and coconut flour, I got there. I've gone #2 21 times. No exaggeration - I counted. I've missed school, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I don't expect to be lifting weights or biking the next few days. I've had a horrible stomach ache which is starting to subside, but my ass is on fire (you can't even begin to imagine how much it hurts to go to the bathroom) since I've gone to the bathroom 21 times and counting. I've felt nauseous all day. If I lie down or sit down, I immediately have to go to the bathroom. I'm typing this standing up. This has been going on all day.

This is been the worst day of my life and you can thank fiber for that.
    Part of me wants to laugh and part of me wants to thank you! You just gave me the perfect idea to help her. She's used to bran muffins, so I can make her fruit muffins with coconut flour. As for the bathroom stuff, totally feel your pain. Used to be like that daily before I cut out gluten. I found drinking mint tea helped settle my stomach, and also slow down the bathroom trips. Maybe give that a try? P.s. how the hell did you manage to get 70g's of it?! That just boggles my mind...

RobinNM is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleyisbister View Post
    I agree haha She's our family's pride and joy.

Oooo those sound good! I actually had a chat with my momma tonight, and I've even talked to our family doc too about primal, and he said he isn't opposed to it, but would be curious to see the effects it would have. I don't think my mom will drop her meds too soon, but I have a month to work some magic before I move an hour away for school... Hopefully I can and it will work out. When I talked to her, she said that all the primal stuff makes total sense to her, she just isnt sure how to start, or how to cook like that. I've told her that even if she's tired after work, she can sit in the kitchen and watch me or ask questions and she can learn that way, rather than always doing it herself.
    Do whatever you can to get her to change her eating ways. I lost my mom four years ago to complications from diabetes. She was entrenched in CW and the SAD like someone had poured concrete on her. She also made horrific food choices and basically ignored her diabetes until she had to go for a blood test and then she'd "be good" for about a week prior. Yes, folks denial ain't just a river in Egypt. The last year of her life she was miserable and dialysis was a miserable, miserable experience for her. When she made the decision to stop treatment and go into hospice, she was actually excited about not having to submit to the ordeal of dialysis any more. It was and still is horribly sad for me because if she had made better choices, she might still be around. She's why I'm trying to make better choices - I don't want to be her - so good for you for trying to help your mom maybe look at things in a different, healthier light.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast