Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to beat the heat and stay Primal??? page

PaleoHeather is offline Junior Member

Unhappy How to beat the heat and stay Primal???

Shop Now
    I have several problems which combine into a difficulty in eating Primal this summer.

1) No A/C in my kitchen. I used fans to keep the air moving but my kitchen actually gets hotter than outside when I cook. So I try to suffer through cooking once a week, early in the morning, to try to make enough foods that taste good cold or microwaved to last the week. I have window units in my apartment bedroom and living room but the air doesn't circulate adequately to cool the kitchen - if I don't keep the kitchen closed off, it keeps the rest of the house from cooling enough to be comfortable.

2) I'm running out of Primal ideas that sound good. I work in foodservice, so I am in the heat more than 1/2 the day at work, and the last thing I want is hot or heavy food either at home or at work. So most meat sounds nauseating. Fish, raw or cooked, and eggs, are the few appealing proteins to me during the summer. I'm getting really tired of hard-boiled eggs/deviled eggs, crust less quiches, and meat and/or veggie based salads. I would happily eat sushi/sashimi every day (rice doesn't bother me) but that is way too expensive.

3) In this heat, sweet, light, carby foods are incredibly tempting and desirable. I would much rather have popsicles than steak for instance. The idea of a steak right now is just gross.

I've not been doing well sticking to Primal eating due to these issues. So, any suggestions to these issues would be very welcome. The issues are listed in order of importance.
    Thanks!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Toaster oven... heats food thoroughly without heating the house.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I have a NuWave oven that I love.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Ice-cold showers every day to restore temperature tolerance at both ends of the spectrum.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I'm working today on a recipe using breakfast-style pork sausage, lots of yellow squash, cheese, egg, and sour cream. Somewhere between a crustless quiche and a yellow squash Gratin Dauphinois.
    http://deeplanguage.blogspot.com/201...casserole.html
    Last edited by Pamsc; 07-02-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: to add link to recipe

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I rarely use my oven for the same reasons as you. I have no a/c at my place so I try to not cook anything in the stove that takes too long. I also eat a lot of salad and then i'll make a batch of chicken breast and throw that in to my salad. If I cook anything I try not to do it in high heat and I think this helps too.

Yes the cold shower helps. I take 2 showers in the summer sometimes 3.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I cook on the grill early mornings and store in fridge, warm up in microwave all week long.

MarjorieHui is offline Junior Member
    I have a NuWave oven that I love.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    These cold soups are mostly Primal-friendly and very simple/basic:
    Twelve Cold Soup Recipes - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com
    They don't supply any protein, but they would at least get you some vegetables.

Personally, I really like cold pot roast. Maybe I'm just weird. Which brings up another point: Maybe using a crockpot to cook something like a whole chicken could help keep things cooler.

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Then eat mostly fish, vegetables and juicy fruits... that's appealing primal summerfood in the heat, right? No need to force heavy meat and fat down if you don't feel like it right now. Save that for colder times or maybe to late evening if it's more chilled in the weather at that time. Listen to your body!
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast