Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potato Success page

Nibbler is offline Senior Member

Potato Success

Shop Now
    Hello! I am interested in hearing from anyone who has had success adding potatoes, sweet or white, back into their diet on a regular basis. Last year I had a dreadful experience, while eating primally I lost a lot of weight and hair. I was not going below 50g a day but sadly it was not right for me somehow. I made the mistake of experimenting with WAPF but came back to primal after a couple of months. I started to shed a bit of hair and feel tired a few months ago so I have gently reintroduced potatoes. I am really happy to say that eating potatoes the night before irradicates afternoon exhaustion the following day, and I don't seem to have put any weight on. I now eat potatoes most days. I hardly ever exceed 150g carbs and mostly hang about 80-100g. Anyone else relate to the positive potato thing?

Don't mean to be rude but hyper low carb evangelists can jog on. In a nice way

jakey is offline Senior Member
    hi, i'm another VLC refugee. the bottom line is that while we can all survive without any carbs, or with barely any carbs, some people adapt to it better or more efficiently than others. a lot of us run into distinct trouble doing the VLC "look ma, i'm an inuit," thing. i know i did.

and yes, to answer your question, i've had phenomenal success adding starchy tubers back to my diet. they're filling (!), and i feel so much better. i eat along the lines of the Perfect Health Diet. i've monkeyed about with changing proportions of fruit to starch, but i personally feel better eating more starch. just do. fruit is delicious though, and i eat at least one piece every day.

so i relate! don't let the VLC evangelists scare you. often, you're dealing with the zeal-of-the-convert phenomenon; someone discovers VLC, and they get obsessed with it, and completely scared of carbs. it works great until... it doesn't. for me, it took about 8 months for any problems to surface. i was completely keto-adapted at that point, and loving it.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I lost most of my weight eating at minimum a quarter of a sweet potato a day. Recently I went through a phase where I ate a whole sweet potato every day for lunch and sometimes more for dinner. I got really bad constipation, though, so I cut back and no longer eat them for lunch. So I guess it depends what you count as success. Except for the constipation, I felt good and I liked eating them.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    I kept my carbs pretty low in the early days, and stayed away from bananas and potatoes, but the closer I got to my goal weight the more I loosened that. Now I eat sweet potato maybe once a week, sometimes more, and a banana or two almost every day. I'm at my goal weight and pretty lean and highly active, so I burn right through the carbs. If I had more time to shop for and cook them, I would eat more sweet potatoes (hubby does most of the cooking and doesn't always think to buy them). I would probably be fine with white potatoes too, but I just don't care for them. I also eat tons of fruit, because it makes me happy.

I'm not sure if that answers your question. I think alot of people around here will agree that VLC is good for kick-starting weight loss, but eventually you'll feel better adding some carbs back in.

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating primal and vlc (between 50-100g) since mid-May, and now that my early potatoes are ready to harvest, I had my first in months last night. Unlike when I have a beer or pizza or something wheaty, I felt pretty good right after, and still good today. Potatoes seem to have a nice anchoring effect for me, make me feel satisfied without feeling bloaty or heavy. I think I will try having them maybe 3 times a week if I don't start gaining weight or notice anything negative.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I lost most of my weight eating at minimum a quarter of a sweet potato a day. Recently I went through a phase where I ate a whole sweet potato every day for lunch and sometimes more for dinner. I got really bad constipation, though, so I cut back and no longer eat them for lunch. So I guess it depends what you count as success. Except for the constipation, I felt good and I liked eating them.
    My gut gets upset if I eat too much sweet potato also. White potatoes and rice don't seem to have that negative effect. My latest starch experiment (starting today) is with boiled platains.

I've been eating starch post-workout for the past year or so and it works much better than trying to keep my carbs super-low all the time.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I've reintroduced white potatoes to my diet recently with positive effect. I only cut them out because I'm definitely intolerant to other deadly nightshade.

I can't get over how satiating they are for their calorie content. Also, their micronutrient profile is not to be sneezed at. Perhaps it's also the B vitamins that are making me feel so good. Jersey royals taste delicious naked.

I find starch far more satisfying than fructose. White rice and potatoes are the best sources.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    for about 2 years i was vlc and avoided starchy foods like they were kryptonite. i don't care at all for sweet potatoes, but now do eat white potatoes sometimes and rice with sushi.

spuds i like to cook in bacon grease or duck fat.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I've reintroduced white potatoes to my diet recently with positive effect. I only cut them out because I'm definitely intolerant to other deadly nightshade.

I can't get over how satiating they are for their calorie content. Also, their micronutrient profile is not to be sneezed at. Perhaps it's also the B vitamins that are making me feel so good. Jersey royals taste delicious naked.

I find starch far more satisfying than fructose. White rice and potatoes are the best sources.

BP (before primal) when I was hungry before dinner my partner would say have an apple. But fruit always made me feel hungrier after eating it. A potato on the other hand, feels just about right. I like them portable - baked, split in half, mashed in the skin with butter/sour cream and Mrs. Dash seasoning. I can eat them with one hand while driving or working and they taste fine room temp even.

Homegrown are best, and fingerlings roasted in fat/herbs/salt/pepper also rock.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by JBailey View Post
    BP (before primal) when I was hungry before dinner my partner would say have an apple. But fruit always made me feel hungrier after eating it. A potato on the other hand, feels just about right. I like them portable - baked, split in half, mashed in the skin with butter/sour cream and Mrs. Dash seasoning. I can eat them with one hand while driving or working and they taste fine room temp even.

Homegrown are best, and fingerlings roasted in fat/herbs/salt/pepper also rock.
    Oooh ... roasties are the best. One of my favourite foods. Especially when light and fluffy. It's my celtic roots talking to me. Eat me, eat me.

Oven-baked potatoes are pretty awesome too. I find that they have a natural buttery taste.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast