Thread: For those that still think it's all about calories page

Tarlach is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

The math is a lot harder than you think and you can go into a deficit by eating more

Here's a metabolic ward trial:
    [quote]

…patients…were put on to 2000-calorie diets of normal proportions to show that their weight could be maintained while in hospital at this level and then placed on high-fat, high-protein diets providing 2600 calories per day. It was demonstrated that these patients on the whole could maintain or gain weight on 2000-calories but, except in one instance, lost weight consistently on a 2600 daily calorie intake.
    </blockquote>

http://www.scribd.com/doc/28131415/Kekwick-Pawan-1956-Lancet

This matches my own personal experience. It&#39;s not just about how much you eat. It&#39;s much more about what you eat (and other ways of changing metabolism, like IF). I lost body fat by eating a stupid amount of calories (regardless of activity level).

You can&#39;t just calculate a generic BMR and then try to stay under that. It&#39;s irrelevant and the reason many say they can&#39;t lose while in deficit. Your body adapts too well to what you eat.

Hormones drive the system, not just volume of food.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

musajen is offline Junior Member

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/metabolism/more-on-the-thermodynamics-of-weight-loss/

Also a great article by Dr Eades talking about the not so simple rules of thermodynamics.

gn
    gn is offline Junior Member
    yet, from what i have experienced myself and read elsewhere, it is STILL NOT IMpossible to get fat by eating vlc or zc
    once i have been very low carb and then zero carb, eating tons of calories (eating, say, 1 kilo of chicken liver for breakfast, and then 1 kilo of pork for lunch), and guess what? - was getting fatter and fatter
    however, when i switched to a paleo-diet (no fruit, no sugar, no grains) with only minimal amounts of protein, with all the rest coming from vegs and butter, i began to get leaner and leaner even eating "a stupid amount of calories"