Thread: New to Primal page

Cdmartin111 is offline Junior Member

Question New to Primal

Primal Fuel
    So I'm new to this whole thing and I'm really trying to give it ago. However I have some points of confusion that I hope someone can help me with. First are fruits bad? And if I am training for a super spartan race (eight mile obstacle course race) does this change how I should be eating while eating paleo?

Thanks a bunch

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    fruits are fine in moderation. i stick with in-season berries and stone fruits for the most part, although i do keep frozen berries around during the winter for sweet treats. year-round access to super sweet fruits is a very modern innovation.

the fundamentals of the plan don't change regardless of training. you may simply need more of everything, especially protein, so you don't become depleted. don't be afraid of carbs, especially tubers and root veggies.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Question

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    fruits are fine in moderation. i stick with in-season berries and stone fruits for the most part, although i do keep frozen berries around during the winter for sweet treats. year-round access to super sweet fruits is a very modern innovation.

the fundamentals of the plan don't change regardless of training. you may simply need more of everything, especially protein, so you don't become depleted. don't be afraid of carbs, especially tubers and root veggies.

Also should whey protein be avoided as it is a dairy by product?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    as long as you tolerate dairy well, i don't see why it's not ok personally, i prefer to eat my protein rather than drink it, but you likely need quite a bit more than i do. i am a 5'2" female over 40.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdmartin111 View Post
    So I'm new to this whole thing and I'm really trying to give it ago. However I have some points of confusion that I hope someone can help me with. First are fruits bad? And if I am training for a super spartan race (eight mile obstacle course race) does this change how I should be eating while eating paleo?

Thanks a bunch
    First, are you at or near your goal weight? If you trying to lose weight keep the fruits in moderation. Keep in mind Paleo and Primal are not interchangeable terms. Similar, but not the same.

Whey is fine, if you need more protein or for a post workout drink. Even if you don't tolerate dairy, almost nobody except the most severe lactose intolerant handle whey protein just fine.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

I am actually not trying to lose weight at all, I want to gain lean muscle. I am 5'6" and weigh about 130. And this may be a stupid question but what you do you mean primal and paleo are not the same? What is the difference between them?

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What’s the Difference Between Primal and Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple

Don't be too concerned with eating fruit, nuts, dairy, etc. if you're trying to gain muscle. Common sense rules, just don't make a meal out of it.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%