Thread: How do you navigate the sustainability argument? page

JCWDE is offline Junior Member

How do you navigate the sustainability argument?

Shop Now
    My wife gets the nutritional side of the PB, but can't get over the ecological/sustainable side of eating that much meat. It's getting pretty heated, so can anybody help me out with some resources? I know Mark has addressed it before and I'm going to look again when I get home, but was wondering if there was anything anybody on here had offhand. Thanks in advance.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    I'd ask what's sustainable about 1000s of miles of monocultures - soy, wheat and corn? That's a lot of what's killing the arable land. First strip it of every living thing, then plant it from 'fencepost to fencepost' and dump in lots of chemicals. Ugh. And as far as CAFO meat goes; you're basically deriving calories from the sun via a petroleum conduit. Pasture-raised animals aren't part of that conduit.

I'll have to go find it, but I've read some articles about chemical-free pasture farms and polycultured fields actually improve soil and also sustaining more wildlife.

Ah, here's a book that might be helpful. I haven't read it, but Melissa of Hunt, Gather, Love fame feels it's worthwhile - Meat: A Benign Extravagance
    Last edited by June68; 07-02-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: grammar and book link
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Make her google "Joel Salatin"

Argument over.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    her coming at it from the "so much meat" angle is flawed from the jump. this isn't about eating 18 oz. ribeyes every meal everyday.

most of my protein comes from wild fish, pastured eggs and "off-cuts", like tongue, heart and liver. my breakfast was bone broth with dried anchovies, seaweed and 3 pastured eggs all stirred in there. we'll be having lamb tongue for dinner. what's not sustainable about that?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    There's loads of evidence to refute the sustainability argument against eating meat. Mark posted about it in the last month or so, have you checked the blog archive?