Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 Days of Hell page

primalrob is offline Senior Member

30 Days of Hell

Iíve done the 30 day challenge thing before, but never kept a journal of it. Usually, I just stick to a whole30 type diet to kick my cravings for nuts and cheese, but this will be 30 Days of Hell because Iím adding a little something. My birthday was just a couple of days ago, which means Iíve been on a bit of a shitty food binge and need to rein it in. Iím also about six weeks out from the New England Spartan Sprint, so now is a good time to switch up my training to more endurance work. So, for the rest of July, Iím going pretty strict on the diet and doing as many Spartan Race WODs as my body can handle.

Diet:
    Strict primal, meaning my meals will likely be made of meat, veggies, fish, eggs, good fats, fruit, and perhaps a bit of dark chocolate. I canít afford much grass fed food, so Iíll likely be sticking with more conventional meats and veggies, but daily sardines will keep those omega ratios level. Since its summer, Iíll likely stick to Big Ass Salads, grilled meat, burgers, sausagy things, roasted veggies and condiments for meals. If I snack at all, it will either be sardines, hard boiled eggs, cured meats, apples, cherries or pickles, with 85%+ dark chocolate as an occasional indulgence. After tonight, I wonít have any dairy or nut products (need to use up a little cheese and some almond butter), and Iíll hopefully go the month alcohol free (unless I get some great reason to celebrate, like a new job). This likely means that I wonít be going out to eat at all, but if Iím at a bbq or something, I might go a little easy and accept some primal-ish foods.

Exercise:
    This is where the hell part will come in. Iíve spent most of the past couple of years doing bodyweight lifting, walking, biking, sprints and a little jogging here and there. I really donít spend a good deal of time doing a lot of Ďexercisingí. But, since I think change begets change, I figured now is as good a time as any to make a switch in that department too. So, Iíll be trying the Spartan WODs. They are primarily focused around bodyweight work and endurance, but unlike my usual workouts, they are longer and entirely about metabolic conditioning. Some I just wonít be able to do, but Iíve got 6 months of WODs saved up if I need to find a replacement on some days. Others, Iím sure, will have to be adapted to my level of fitness, but Iím going to try to do whatever is listed. My goal is to do at least 20 WODs over the 30 daysÖthat really doesnít seem like much, does it?

Expectations:
    I should easily lose all the fat I put on during the week of my birthday, where I made the SAD shake its head in disgust. Given my activity level, I also expect to lose some additional fat, especially since Iíll likely stay with standard lower-carb primal fare unless I really start craving some potatoes. I want to optimize my fat-burning potential. In terms of conditioning, I expect that I will at least maintain my strength, but also increase my stamina. Compared to last fall, Iíve been more winded than I used to be during workouts (probably due to the intensity), needing rest more on mountains, and added a couple of minutes to my 5k time. I donít, and likely wonít, have the numbers for all this, but Iíll be able to notice an improvement in all areas, and Iíll report those as I notice them.

this was today's WOD:

Start with a 3-4 mile run. Let the first mile be your warm up, then gradually ramp up your intensity till you are finishing at race pace. Immediately, break into the following strength routine:

50-200 body weight squats
    20-100 push-ups
    4 minute plank
    50-200 lunges
    10-50 burpees
    50-100 crunches

You can break each strength exercise into three sets, just be sure to keep your heart rate up. Try to limit recovery time between sets and exercises to 30 seconds.

my legs are basically jello right now.
    the run was actually pretty good. the first mile was mostly hill, so i took it slow, then sped up when things leveled off and a breeze picked up to keep me cool. on top of that, my body is clearly still working off of the weekend's pile of food, so i probably could have tripled the distance and still had a good time.
    the rest of the workout just kept getting harder. i broke those numbers up into sets: 50 squats, 20 push ups, 1:30 plank, 50 lunges (25/leg), 10 burpees and 25 crunches. i moved through the first round like it was nothing. but, by the time i set up to do another round of squats, i noticed some fatigue in my legs, so round two took me a little longer with a lot more heavy breathing (and i switched out reverse crunches for regular crunches). i took a full minute for rest between rounds two and three, but still couldn't get all the way through. i managed the squats, flew through the pushups, and wanted to cry by the time i finished my plank. i stood up and tried to do a couple of lunges, but my legs weren't having it so i just said fuck it. i am going to hurt tomorrow, but it appears as though my upper body can take more of a beating...so i may have to find a WOD that's easy on the legs.

post workout i had a left over chicken breast, a fuji apple and a couple of tablespoons of almond butter i needed to get rid of. dinner is going to be 4 turkey burgers with the last of my pepper jack cheese, and probably some kind of veg...maybe i'll just saute up some spinach.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Keep us posted and keep it up.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

i can't believe how much harder something can be than it is on paper. here was today's WOD:

Perform the first exercise for the duration of 25 seconds. We want you to go all out on this movement, knowing that that you’ll soon be resting (well, sort of), in less than 25 seconds.

At the end of the first exercise, [i was supposed to jump rope for 25 seconds, but i don't have a rope, so i did jumping jacks or ran in place. basically, get 25 seconds of active rest.

Here are today’s Burst Bout exercises (Burst = a consistent & non-stop flurry of work – Bout = the full cycle/circuit of Burst movements.)

Here we go…

Today’s work-to-rest ratio is 25 seconds of work and 25 seconds of active rest. At the end of the 10th exercise, you get a full one-minute, complete rest.

Here’s Your List of Movements…

25/25 W-T-AR–

1- Bodyweight Squat Jumps
    2- PlyoPower Push-Ups–
    3- Jumps To Bench –
    4- Power Rows– I did inverted rows, or used my sandbag
    5- Bench Step-Ups (Right Leg) –
    6- Bench Step-Ups (Left Leg) –
    7- Barbell Push Press – I used a sandbag
    8- Fast Push-Ups –
    9- Stationary Lunge (Right Leg) –
    10- Stationary Lunge (Left Leg) –

Minute Rest at the end of the 10th exercise

Repeat 1 to 4 times!
    i did three rounds, then topped it off with a bunch of pull ups and a 2-3 mile jog.

i was sore today, but with a little movement i was able to get warmed up and ready for the workout, then did pretty well in my opinion. my legs are once again dead. the WOD seemed so simple when i read it, but i was sucking air through the second round, and gasping in the third. i have really been neglecting my conditioning. i've got pretty good relative strength and speed, but if i were in a fight right now i'd be done after only a few minutes.

had some sardines and a couple of hard-boiled eggs PWO, then more than a few olives. i'll throw a few burgers and veggies on the grill a little later while i watch my neighbors set off fire works right next to their car.

not sure what i'm eating or doing for the holiday, but i'll try to stay on plan as much as i can.

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    Some Nice routines there Rob,

I am doing something similar for the next month to get my base fitness levels up for some adventure racing later this year. Its amazing how quick we can get out of shape but then again it comes back pretty quick as well onec you commit to doing it weekly.

Cheers
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Quote Originally Posted by fat belly frog View Post
    Some Nice routines there Rob,

I am doing something similar for the next month to get my base fitness levels up for some adventure racing later this year. Its amazing how quick we can get out of shape but then again it comes back pretty quick as well onec you commit to doing it weekly.

Cheers
    it seriously is amazing. aside from the occasional run to let myself know i can still run a 5k if i want, i've stopped playing sports, stopped even thinking about triathlons, etc. and my body is crying right now. my endurance is shit. the only endurance work i do now is hiking, and i think i've been out 4 times this year, for <10 mile hikes. i suspect that by the end of this month i will be able to handle a lot more with some improved times. how awesome would it be if i retained all my strength too?

and, as it turns out, my body really is crying right now. i've been up for about an hour, and things are loosening up, but i was so sore i didn't want to get out of bed. now, looking at today's WOD, i want to go back to bed. i can handle the running, but i don't want to do burpees anymore.

the food part of this is much easier for me than i thought it would be coming off the sugar bender i was on a week ago. it helps to have friends that get what i'm doing and why. completely primal barbecue options like bunless burgers, brats, sausage, veggies, pepperoni and fruit make for a great session with friends to celebrate the fourth. my wife is also trying to go primal, which is helpful because i don't have to buy any non-primal foods when i hit the store. so as far as a food reset goes, this has been the easiest so far.
    i've got some left over chicken and veggies in the fridge that need to be either eaten or tossed. i choose eaten.

here was today's WOD:
    Warm up: Jump rope (100 jumps minimum)

Main set:
    Run 1-2 miles
    30 box jumps
    30 burpees
    30 mountain climbers
    30 triceps dips
    30 lunges (each leg)
    pull-ups till failure
    Run 1-2 miles
    kind of a bitch in this heat, but i made it through. i haven't seen sweat pour off of me like that in a long time. i'm already hurting...so here's hoping that tomorrow's WOD is just some active rest.

this has nothing to do with being primal, but...

nearly two months ago i applied for a few jobs i thought i might like. i interviewed for one and came in second, haven't heard a thing about another, and i'm hoping to hear about the other one today. i've been through a few rounds of interviews, really click with the staff, get to use my brain more, make a little bit more money, and get closer to friends and family. the only downside is finding a place to live that is convenient for both my wife and i to commute for about year while she's taking some classes.

every time my phone makes a sound i start freaking out a little. i really want this job (not as much as i want the job i haven't heard anything about though). i spent most of last week like this after the final interview. being this tense kind of sucks. i expect that i will come in second place again, but i just want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    this has nothing to do with being primal, but...

nearly two months ago i applied for a few jobs i thought i might like. i interviewed for one and came in second, haven't heard a thing about another, and i'm hoping to hear about the other one today. i've been through a few rounds of interviews, really click with the staff, get to use my brain more, make a little bit more money, and get closer to friends and family. the only downside is finding a place to live that is convenient for both my wife and i to commute for about year while she's taking some classes.

every time my phone makes a sound i start freaking out a little. i really want this job (not as much as i want the job i haven't heard anything about though). i spent most of last week like this after the final interview. being this tense kind of sucks. i expect that i will come in second place again, but i just want to know.
    fuck all that shit i wrote before. I JUST GOT OFFERED THE JOB.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm taking today off from the WODs. i just got some great news, and i don't want to feel like i have to vomit today. plus, today's WOD is hill repeats, and they're supposed to be explosive. i'm recovering from a pulled hamstring, and i'm not about to do anything to deal with that again. maybe in a month. i suppose i could just run them like i normally would...but that just brings us back to my original reason.
    i think i'll take the bike on a couple of local trails and see if the dog wants to go for a walk when it cools down a bit.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast