Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 30 Days of Hell page 5

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Great log Rob. Glad I found it. How are the goals (surpassing them)? Have they evolved?

Interesting site, havnt heard of it before. Link?

Keep at it my friend.

Richard
    thanks, Richard. the site is the spartan race, and the WOD email subscription is here:
    Spartan Race WOD Workout Of The Day - Subscribe and Receive a daily WOD

as far as goals are concerned, i guess i'm hitting them. this month is really about setting a challenge and seeing if i can meet it, which i'm pretty sure i will. from a dietary sense, all i really did was cut out nuts and dairy, and the occasional cheat...which basically means i'm not eating some of my favorite foods when i want them the most (i.e. ice cream in july), but it's pretty easy to deal with. i usually keep it pretty primal anyway, so food isn't really an issue.
    a great side effect, though, is that i can tell i'm getting better from an endurance stand point. i'm ready to back off on the 5-6 days of metcon a week though. only one week left...should be a breeze.

today's WOD had me gasping pretty good:
    * warm up with jog or jump rope session
    * 10 burpees
    * 20 lunges (per leg)
    * 5 pull-ups
    * 1/4 mile to 1 mile run interval
    * (repeat 3-10 times)
    * cool down with a good stretch
    i managed 7 rounds before i decided to call it quits. i'm actually pretty thrilled about that. i probably had another one or two in me, but didn't want to push it too much; i pushed hard enough just getting through those 7 without breaking form and throwing up. it's the run that kills me. i only go a 1/4 mile, but i go at a pretty good clip. there is a good patch of grass with a couple trees with sturdy branches...so it's a good run back and forth to my apartment.

i'm noticing that there is a major difference between working out after work on a good day, a bad day, and a boring day. boring days are the worst. it's hard to get started, and takes me a while to get focused. on the upside, a good workout totally brightens up my whole day.

gonna stay pretty basic with food, at least for tonight. but, i started a best burgers recipe thread and there are a few things i want to try. we'll see how inspired i get when i get to the store.

strength conditioning...it's balls tough. here's today's WOD (i'll explain the exercises afterward):
    circuit--
    sandbag squat to step up...12 reps per leg
    high push ups...12 per side
    box pistols...12 per leg
    dumbbell snatch...12 per arm
    sandbag press with reverse crunch...x20

5 rounds (can also be done in five straight sets rather than superset circuit)
    Sandbag squat to step up: i threw my 50 lb sandbag on my back, did a squat, then a step up (onto my coffee table) alternating legs. pretty simple, but unbelievable exhausting.

high push ups: i'm sure most people have seen these. in the plank push up position, start with one hand up on something (i used a cinder block) and one on the floor. explode up and switch hands. these are actually pretty difficult. i've done off-set push ups before, but never with that level of explosiveness; it takes a lot.

box pistols: i'm sure this isn't the correct name for these, but i think it explains it the easiest. basically, it's a pistol (single leg squat) but instead of going ass to grass, stop at a surface that's not so low. using my bed as a guide, i was able to go just below parallel for all the sets, which were about as hard as i expected. rather than being a full pistol, however, it's more like sitting and getting up from a chair using only one leg. these were great for me, because i still don't have quite enough strength or flexibility to pull off an unassisted pistol. if i can keep lowering myself, these will be a helpful progression exercise.

dumbbell snatches: i don't own dumbbells...but i do own cat litter. i grabbed a new jug of litter filled to the brim (probably about 20 pounds), put it on the ground between my legs in a partial squat, kept my head up, my back straight, grabbed the handle, pushed through my heels and lifted with my upper back muscles for a good ground to overhead move. i really could have gone a lot heavier. i might keep one of those cat litter jugs and see if sand will make them heavier.

sandbag press with reverse crunch: this is pretty simple, and easy. on my back, i press my sandbag up like a bench press and curl my legs up to my chest between my arms. piece of cake.

anyone interested in reading more about this WOD can check out the actual gym version (i made substitutions) here.

using a sandbag instead of a bar and plates definitely made this workout a bit harder i think, particularly the squat to step ups. i don't know what the book time is for the pros, but this took me over an hour. in hindsight, i could have cut some of my rest time down a bit. strange as it may seem, the final round felt like my fastest because i wasn't trying to keep anything in the tank.
    speaking of the tank, i get a short second workout later because my grill is out of propane. there is an exchange center just over a 1/4 mile away, so i get to do a little propane tank carry in a bit.

i picked up some good sausage, so i'll use my new propane to grill that up and throw one in with some kale for dinner, then prep the coconut and ginger pork for tomorrow.

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    today's WOD had me gasping pretty good:

i managed 7 rounds before i decided to call it quits. i'm actually pretty thrilled about that. i probably had another one or two in me, but didn't want to push it too much; i pushed hard enough just getting through those 7 without breaking form and throwing up. it's the run that kills me. i only go a 1/4 mile, but i go at a pretty good clip. there is a good patch of grass with a couple trees with sturdy branches...so it's a good run back and forth to my apartment.

i'm noticing that there is a major difference between working out after work on a good day, a bad day, and a boring day. boring days are the worst. it's hard to get started, and takes me a while to get focused. on the upside, a good workout totally brightens up my whole day.

gonna stay pretty basic with food, at least for tonight. but, i started a best burgers recipe thread and there are a few things i want to try. we'll see how inspired i get when i get to the store.

Oh! Love that WOD! I think I'm gonna attempt tmrw. Sadly, illdo it at the gym so the run will come beforehand. Loathe Burpees, but sadly they're amazing. We have a love hate relationship. Instead of Pullups, I'll probably do some body rows or kipping Pullups. So,the WOD isn't comparable to yours at all. Ha

Thanks for the info on the box pistol. Pistols are one of my goals, I can free squat, balance squat and jump squat all day, but pistols have got me challenged!

Quote Originally Posted by TLoRu View Post
    Oh! Love that WOD! I think I'm gonna attempt tmrw. Sadly, illdo it at the gym so the run will come beforehand. Loathe Burpees, but sadly they're amazing. We have a love hate relationship. Instead of Pullups, I'll probably do some body rows or kipping Pullups. So,the WOD isn't comparable to yours at all. Ha

Thanks for the info on the box pistol. Pistols are one of my goals, I can free squat, balance squat and jump squat all day, but pistols have got me challenged!
    that'll still be a killer workout. burpees kick my ass every time. plus, when i do them outside i get face full of grass.

pistols are tough. i can squat all day long, but can't more than 10 assisted pistols out in a set. doing them on a box is so much better as a progression than using a wall or pole, in my opinion. there's no relying on your arms to get a little extra pull, and the risk of falling backwards is pretty much gone. they're still difficult, but being able to practice at varying depths helps a lot. bulgarian split squats are a good lead up to pistols too. they are single leg, with support from the the other leg resting on something behind you...but, you don't get a ton of depth.

my legs are complete jelly right now; i feel like i just got done with a 20 mile hike. today's WOD:
    hill repeats, with a sandbag.

i have a pretty good hill near me. it's not terribly long...maybe 150-200 yards, but it's steep. if i had kids, i probably wouldn't let them sled down this hill in winter without some kind of protective gear. it's about a mile away, so i grabbed my sandbag and trekked over to it. the WOD called for a 20-40 pound bag, but mine is 50 and i didn't feel like taking anything out of it.

the walk to the hill was decent. moving the bag around with different holds gets a broad use of the upper body, and obviously my core and legs have to work a little harder. but it was the hill repeats that did me in. the goal was to carry the bag in front (no shouldering it or tucking it under an arm) and get up the hill as quickly as possible. i could get a fast walk/slow jog in for the first 50 yards or so, but my legs were moving slow and on fire by the time i reached the top. because of the mile walk back and forth to my apartment, i set a goal of only 5 climbs, and i hit all five.

this is actually a great workout on multiple levels. the mile sandbag carries are great for all around stamina and strength, the hill repeats are an amazing conditioning exercise, as well as a strength builder, and it's super prep for the spartan race. one of the hardest obstacles for me last year was carrying a bucket full of rocks up a steep hill. it's not the climb, it's the carrying. i'll have to do this at least once more before the race in a couple weeks.

also, amazing new food discovery...olives stuffed with jalapenos.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the link Rob. Iv asked for email workouts. My goals are to improve conditioning so that fits in, but also to gain about 10lbs so not sure whether the longer nature of the wod's will marry up with my goals.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Thanks for the link Rob. Iv asked for email workouts. My goals are to improve conditioning so that fits in, but also to gain about 10lbs so not sure whether the longer nature of the wod's will marry up with my goals.

Richard
    the WODs should help a lot with the conditioning, but i wouldn't do them nearly every day like i am. leave a few days for some good heavy lifting and appropriate rest for bulking up. and, of course, eating more. i think once i get through my 30 days i'm probably going to keep my favorite 2 WODs from the week and pick two good days for doing them. i like the idea of keeping up with the conditioning, but i miss my intense strength days.

this week has definitely been a tough one. my body is tired. the past three WODs have been pretty taxing, and for whatever reason last night was the first halfway decent night of sleep i've had since sunday. plus, it's been cloudy in the morning so i always want to stay in bed.

so, it's a coin toss as to whether i do today's WOD. luckily, i saw that it's not a terribly difficult one. but, with how tired i'm feeling at the moment, it would definitely push me to my limit...which i like the idea of once in a while. hopefully i'll perk up a bit throughout the day, and i can squeeze a nap in before the workout if i need to.

one thing that will make me work, is the reward i get at the end. i cooked up mark's latest recipe post overnight last night, and this morning it smelled so amazing that i wanted to take a bath in it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i made today a well-deserved rest day. the past three days have really kicked my ass, and i was super tired. when i got home from work, i sat down to pet Miles and fell asleep. two hours later, i took that needed nap, the rain, the threat of thunder and lightning, and the fact that Miles destroyed some stuff to just take the day off.
    my goal for the 30 days was to get at least 20 WODs in. i just went back and counted, and i'm at 18 with five days left. looks like i'm going to beat my goal on that front. i actually got tomorrow's WOD already, and it looks pretty simple, so i'll get that one done, and a few more by tuesday.

i made up the slow cooker coconut and ginger pork, and tried a sample. it's fucking awesome. that's my dinner with some roasted broccoli. so, it's a nice, easy night while my arms and legs get their juice back, and some kick ass food. nothing wrong with that at all.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast