Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 Days of Hell page 4

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    ok...for dinner tonight i thought i might try something new for a vegetable. i picked up a bunch of dandelion greens and sauteed them up in some bacon fat, with a little garlic, onion powder, and topped it with a little salt and pepper. way too bitter for me. i think i could probably like it if i added some herby cheese, or maybe a boatload of butter...but going with the whole dairy free thing makes that a little tough for a couple of weeks.

i don't want to cut dandelions out of my life, so does anyone know a good way to prepare these?

taking a cue from Al Kavadlo's Death to Cardio thread, i skipped the run i was going to take today and hit the soccer field instead. here's an ok game: kick the ball as far as you can down the field, run after it, dribble it back into goal range and fire one in. i may not have gone long distance, but i did a lot of running a in a half hour today. i was also barefoot, so my feet got nice and red from so much contact with the ball.
    but, using the ball, running on the field, stepping side to side, jumping up to nearby tree branches for some pull ups...i know i used a lot more of the smaller muscles i don't normally use, which is great.
    because the field was empty, i also grabbed a couple of golf discs (for professional frisbee golf...i thought about going pro a while back) and did a similar exercise. throw the disc, run after it, repeat. i can throw about 100 yards if i'm just fooling around, so i made those 75% sprints.

i've got some kale in the fridge that needs to be cooked, so i think i'll throw it next to some sausage tonight. i may keep some aside and give kale chips a try this weekend...that is when i'm not going to see Dark Knight Rises repeatedly.

apartment update: all of a sudden places that fit our needs keep popping up, and we saw two great places today. one was an absolute dream that makes all other apartments seem like a sewer, but it turned out to be twice as expensive as we originally though. the other is pretty great, and really close to that soccer field i played in...which also has tennis courts, basketball courts, stone stadium steps to run on, and a bunch of other stuff.

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Awesome journal rob. Love reading about your WODs. Actually going to adapt a few of them to suit me! I generally kick off my circuits w a 2 or 3 mile run w added sprints but I thought I was borderline chronic cardio-ing, especially bc I would then do a full WOD afterwards.

How are you feeling in regards to the diet and your fitness? Was it a drastic diet change? I technically finished my whole30 ( which turned into a whole45) a few wks ago, jumped off the bandwagon and tried some sushi... Bugged out and I'm back whole30ing. I noticed I had crazyyy energy at the gym mid whole30 and onward. It was amazing.

As for your soccer skills, I played in college and there's nothing better than chasing a ball down the field and feeling like the fastest creature in the world. I look forward to playing in my washed up college athlete league every wk!

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by TLoRu View Post
    Awesome journal rob. Love reading about your WODs. Actually going to adapt a few of them to suit me! I generally kick off my circuits w a 2 or 3 mile run w added sprints but I thought I was borderline chronic cardio-ing, especially bc I would then do a full WOD afterwards.

How are you feeling in regards to the diet and your fitness? Was it a drastic diet change? I technically finished my whole30 ( which turned into a whole45) a few wks ago, jumped off the bandwagon and tried some sushi... Bugged out and I'm back whole30ing. I noticed I had crazyyy energy at the gym mid whole30 and onward. It was amazing.

As for your soccer skills, I played in college and there's nothing better than chasing a ball down the field and feeling like the fastest creature in the world. I look forward to playing in my washed up college athlete league every wk!

Enjoy!
    glad you're enjoying the WODs. the Spartan Race people certainly know how to put me to work. some of the WODs are really great, and i'll probably keep doing them once i'm finished my 30 days...just not 5-6 days per week anymore.

the diet wasn't a big change for me. i basically backed off nuts and dairy, which are by no means staples for me anyway...just foods that can get a little out of control. particularly the dairy. but, my dietary restrictions for this month were really just to add another layer to the challenge besides exercising in a new way. what's neat is that i haven't been eating as much fruit as i normally do, so i feel pretty confident calling my eating this month very low carb, and my fitness hasn't lost a step. in fact, if it stays a little cooler the next couple of days, i expect to see what i can really do.
    i never seem to ease back into my normal primal eating, but hopefully i'll maintain my current shopping style and stay away from the dairy and nuts for the most part. i love food, but there's a part of me that sees it completely as functional, so i seem to have very little trouble cutting things out. i can also eat the same thing every day without getting bored with it. i should do a new 30 day challenge where i never repeat a meal.

and i absolutely love soccer. i haven't really played an organized games since high school, and a season of indoor a couple of years ago. one of the places i'm thinking of moving has an unbelievable adult rec. program: soccer, ultimate, volleyball, floor hockey, dodgeball...all kinds of stuff, all my favorite games.

I didn't get a WOD in my email today. anybody want to recommend something before i grab an older one?

ok, no assigned WOD for today, and i was in a bit of a time crunch, so i rummaged through some older ones and found this:

30 push ups
    30 burpees
    30 pull ups
    30 box jumps
    100 jumping jacks
    300 crunches
    that's not exactly what it was, actually. it said 15-30 burpee pull ups, but i just can't do those at my place, so i made 30 burpees and 30 pull ups. also, i think the 300 crunches was a typo, so i did 15 dragon flags and 100 crunches. the whole thing took me about 30 minutes, which i consider adequate. i was definitely able to take less time between sets/exercises since it was a little cooler today. it's supposed to stay like that a bit, so i'm hoping to log some miles this weekend...again, when i'm not seeing Dark Knight Rises.

i'm definitely going roasted broccoli and steak for dinner. kind of been thinking about it all day. that's easily my favorite, simple primal meal.

i think we found an apartment. it's a good chunk more expensive than our current place, but has free heat and hot water, and my wife is in grad school so we don't have to worry about paying her student loans for a couple of years...so it's all a wash. it's right in downtown manchester, the biggest city in NH....so, still not much of a city. but the apartment is beautiful and really close to friends. it's also really close to an unbelievable brazilian restaurant. i may get a part time job just to be able to go there more often.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    (SNIP)
    this no dairy thing is getting to me. i want cheese. i really want ice cream. i can always do without nuts, but i want my ice cream. we take ice cream very seriously here in NH; we eat more per person than anywhere else in the country (we're also pretty high up there with beer). so, i'm thinking...maybe i should try to make up some coconut milk ice cream just as a treat. i've seen it before, but it's waaayyyyyy expensive. and tasty. anyone have a good recipe for it?
    I will freeze fresh pitted cherries, or fresh sliced peaches (or whatever is seasonal or frozen banana pieces) and then blend in my vitamix with a bit of coconut cream or heavy cream if I'm doing dairy. It's amazing and rich and DANG, now *I* want some...gonna stick to the upstairs now... not going NEAR that kitchen again tonight.

And someday I'll try banana, coconut cream and cocoa powder when I can find the non alkali stuff.
    l

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    I will freeze fresh pitted cherries, or fresh sliced peaches (or whatever is seasonal or frozen banana pieces) and then blend in my vitamix with a bit of coconut cream or heavy cream if I'm doing dairy. It's amazing and rich and DANG, now *I* want some...gonna stick to the upstairs now... not going NEAR that kitchen again tonight.

And someday I'll try banana, coconut cream and cocoa powder when I can find the non alkali stuff.
    l
    sounds pretty tasty. it's just me and Miles this weekend. maybe i'll pick up a few ingredients and give it a go.

today was a killer. i took yesterday off of exercise because i was tired, and anxious, and a bunch of other things making me not want to do anything. well, today made up for it.

the WOD:
    4 mile run

2 rounds of:
    30 push ups
    15 burpees
    15 pull ups
    30 box jumps
    50 jumping lunges
    50 crunches
    i tried to top it off with a good long plank, but i was done. every part of my body was tired. so, i took Miles out for a good long walk. it's been a pretty nice day, but really sunny, and the ground is hot. on my run, i wore my KSOs, and my feet didn't stay on the ground long enough to feel the heat. on my walk, i wore my sprints, which are much older and worn thin (i actually wore a hole in the bottom of one of them), and my feet were burning.

Dark Knight Rises tonight. jealous? gotta find some primal movie snacks...not because i'll be hungry, but because i like bringing my own food into theaters and sticking it to the man. a bag of pepperoni should do the trick.
    dinner? no idea, but the slow cooker coconut ginger pork mark posted today looks mighty tasty.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Great log Rob. Glad I found it. How are the goals (surpassing them)? Have they evolved?

Interesting site, havnt heard of it before. Link?

Keep at it my friend.

Richard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast