Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else suffer from "fruit binging"? How did you cure it? page 2

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    if i were you, i'd try working in more starchy root vegetables instead of fruit. 2 kiwis and a medium sweet potato have about the same number of carbs.

there is nothing inherently "bad" about fruit and it is delicious. it's just sugar.

it used to not occur to me, but eating apples in the dead of summer goes against nature, ya know?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Do you think some people can benefit from a more important consumption of fruits ? As a teenager, I think it's hard to get all the carbs I need (I tried VLC, wasn't satisfied with the results as I need to GAIN weight), in primal form without at least 2 or 3 pieces of fruit a day.
    I eat mostly berries and apples, but I go for an occasional orange, banana or kiwi sometimes.
    Eating unrefined carbs (Rice, potatoes, fresh egg pasta) is the best way to gain weight. AND (though this is from personal experience - haven't read any research on the subject) I believe eating a lot of nuts can change your body composition. I went through a week of eating 300g of nuts a day (maninly brazil nuts), and I gained muscle! Not sure how this happened, and apparently nuts don't suit everyone, but they seem to suit some...

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I know Mark Sisson advocates going at about 50g carbs for accelerated fat loss but who says that you have to do that other than him. It depends on your activity level. I was never a fruit person to begin with but there is nothing wrong about eating 5 peaches. The thing is as long as you balance it out with veggies for the rest of the day then you are fine.

I don't know how much you eat in a day but I find that most people who binge whether it's fruit or something else has nothing to do with the diet/lifestyle they currently practice. Maybe you are under eating? Maybe you need to try the 80/20 rule? Once your train your body to be on 'low carb' mode it's very hard to binge because it feels like you are always full.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Eating unrefined carbs (Rice, potatoes, fresh egg pasta) is the best way to gain weight. AND (though this is from personal experience - haven't read any research on the subject) I believe eating a lot of nuts can change your body composition. I went through a week of eating 300g of nuts a day (maninly brazil nuts), and I gained muscle! Not sure how this happened, and apparently nuts don't suit everyone, but they seem to suit some...
    It probably has nothing to do with nuts. you were likely consuming excess calories and performing some type of strength training which would put your body in a hypertrophy mode.

otzi Guest
    I ate a whole 10 pound watermelon yesterday. It was the best watermelon I ever had. I put salt on it. I drank the juice when I was done. I spit seeds for great distances.

I have 4 pineapples on my counter--they will be gone by Friday.

I will stop this binge when fresh fruit is out of season (September-ish). Until then, I'm eating all the fruit I care to.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I'm with Otzi on this one.

My neighbor's plum tree is hella ripe right now and so is my nectarine tree.

The other day I ate 15 plums right after the other and then about 10 nectarines.

I didn't die, I didn't have a sugar crash, and I didn't gain any weight.

But what DID happen, was that I ate all of that at 11, and didn't eat again until 6.

And then you know what happened? I ate MORE of the same for dinner.

My husband is still astonished that I wasn't in the bathroom all day, but he's the one
    with the delicate gut, whilst MINE is made of steel.... obviously.

Anyway, so, yeah, fruit is the best it's going to be RIGHT NOW, so I'd eat it, and
    then diss it in the winter when it's all hard ass crap and tastes like shit.

Julie

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I ate a whole 10 pound watermelon yesterday. It was the best watermelon I ever had. I put salt on it. I drank the juice when I was done. I spit seeds for great distances.

I have 4 pineapples on my counter--they will be gone by Friday.

I will stop this binge when fresh fruit is out of season (September-ish). Until then, I'm eating all the fruit I care to.
    Pineapple

pineapples are actually NOT in-season right now.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    It probably has nothing to do with nuts. you were likely consuming excess calories and performing some type of strength training which would put your body in a hypertrophy mode.
    Nope - moved around a lot, but did NO exercise for two weeks!

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Fruit junkie here..... Although I'm not trying to lose weight,my fruit consumption was out of control haha. I'm not treating fruit as a dessert treat like Wanderlust said. I freeze lots of fruit and use them as frozen treats when it's scorching. By all means though, if I want pineapple, I eat it...

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Its summer. Fruit is in season. This is when we're supposed to eat fruit! There's nothing un-primal about fruit.

If weight loss is your goal, then limiting carbohydrates in all forms usually helps. But primal isn't a weight loss program. Primal is a way of eating for optimal health, where a healthy body composition is one of the natural results. So going on and off primal for quick weight loss is kind of missing the point.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast