Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Post scientific studies suggesting grains are bad for you here... page 7

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Instead of this BS, let's talk about new GMO strains of wheat versus traditional types of wheat. Grandma may have eaten sammiches but her wheat was better for you than yours.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    This study goes more to your phytic acid argument:

Iron-deficiency anemia in an Iranian population associated with high intakes of iron. Adequate iron intake was not enough for the folks that were studied, as the high phytate content of their bread inhibited the absorption resulting in anemia.
    I applaud your research. But I will point out that Americans don't eat "unleavened wholemeal wheat bread that is the main dietary staple of the villagers" for the most part. So this isn't really an issue.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    I disagree with this. Less taste is subjective. What about a nice pasta dish with sauce? Would you prefer eating the sauce like a soup or something? I can tell you that I would much rather have a pizza than some melted cheese with tomato sauce. And I would much rather have a burger than just the burger patty. And I am pretty sure the great majority of people would agree with me.

What I am saying is if you already are getting enough protein, healthy fats, and micro nutrients from your diet, adding some grains to round out your calories will not negatively effect your health. And despite what you say, they enhance your meal and the great majority of people agree. If grains are so tasteless then why do people have such a hard time giving them up? And don't give me some addiction garbage or something like that...it is because people like to eat them.
    There is nothing subjective about it grains are tasteless. I have said all along grains are good carriers of flavour that does not mean they have flavour. A nice rich meat sauce covered in cheese I could eat on its own. Plain pasta....blah.

The sauce is tasty the grains are not. They have a nice texture, they carry flavour well and people are told to eat them. However considering the number of people reporting carb flu addiction is not only possible but is highly likely.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    These small percentage of people should be out of scope for this discussion.

2.3% of Americans suffer from fish and shellfish reactions (over 7 million). Another 1.8 million have allergic issues with tree nuts (almonds, cashews, etc). If Celiacs can make the leap that wheat is universally bad because they can't handle it then the millions of folks with allergic reactions to these universally accepted Primal foods have the same right to say these foods aren't healthy for the same reasons.
    Wikipedia is very CW in their reporting of things and even it states the case for gluten intolerance at 10%.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I applaud your research. But I will point out that Americans don't eat "unleavened wholemeal wheat bread that is the main dietary staple of the villagers" for the most part. So this isn't really an issue.
    The leavening is irrelevant.
    Many Americans do in fact eat wholemeal wheat bread... and the short fast rise process that the commercial bakeries use, as opposed to traditional long process sourdough leavening, doesn't do spit to reduce phytate content.

Ever heard of a straw man argument? It is when someone argues against a point that their opponent never made. I never made the claim, nor would I, that grains are nutritionally superior to vegetables. But, if you are already eating enough vegetables, eating bread instead of more vegetables won't have adverse effects on your health.
    Also... since MOST Americans eat bellow the recommended servings of fruits and vegetables... they should probably avoid the bread.
    Personally, I had rather have more nutrition that offered in bread or pasta... they both seem pretty useless as far as dietary need goes.

I disagree with this. Less taste is subjective. What about a nice pasta dish with sauce? Would you prefer eating the sauce like a soup or something? I can tell you that I would much rather have a pizza than some melted cheese with tomato sauce. And I would much rather have a burger than just the burger patty. And I am pretty sure the great majority of people would agree with me.

What I am saying is if you already are getting enough protein, healthy fats, and micro nutrients from your diet, adding some grains to round out your calories will not negatively effect your health. And despite what you say, they enhance your meal and the great majority of people agree. If grains are so tasteless then why do people have such a hard time giving them up? And don't give me some addiction garbage or something like that...it is because people like to eat them.
    Sauce... I eat it with... VEGETABLES. Shocking I know, but delicious. A good marinara over some roasted butternut squash is divine... better than any pasta I ever tasted.
    Burgers, topped with a load of veg... onions, peppers, mushrooms... EASIER to eat with a fork... all that stuff just slids out of the bun and makes a mess.

As far as "Majority" opinions... that's ridiculous. Not so long ago it was the majority opinion in America that black people were not equal to whites. Just because an OPINION is held by the majority does not make it correct by any means.

People have a hard time giving them up because they have been raised with them as a part of their life/food culture. Just like many people have problems giving up soft drinks and candy even those those things are unhealthy to eat all the time.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-02-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    @ Neckhammer - I didn't cite Wikipedia, my bad for not posting my source.

We can finagle with actual numbers all we want but the point is still valid.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    Instead of this BS, let's talk about new GMO strains of wheat versus traditional types of wheat. Grandma may have eaten sammiches but her wheat was better for you than yours.
    Careful with the GMO label...we are not there yet. It has been irradiated, cross bread and more but the strict definition of GMO is adding or removing a gene in the lab. A splitting hairs technicality but it is strictly not GMO.
    Corn is GMO with insecticide which we ingest but even worse the insects are developing resistance to which could ruin the corn crop.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 07-02-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    What about a nice pasta dish with sauce? Would you prefer eating the sauce like a soup or something? I can tell you that I would much rather have a pizza than some melted cheese with tomato sauce. And I would much rather have a burger than just the burger patty. And I am pretty sure the great majority of people would agree with me. .....

If grains are so tasteless then why do people have such a hard time giving them up? And don't give me some addiction garbage or something like that...it is because people like to eat them.
    If you came here with bushels of wheat to sell, you may want to try listing them on craigslist.org. It's free! Ebay also has a grocery section, although they charge for listings. If you are giving away your wheat, try Freecycle.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Since you ignored my previous questions:

Are you trolling? Yes or No?

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    if grains cause inflammation and autoimmune reactions in some, it really doesn't matter what science shows across a broad spectrum of the population (or across a narrow spectrum, as is more often the case).

And it doesn't matter to the individual if its the grains causing the inflammation, or some other component (reaction to gmo, pesticides, mold, mold inhibitors, etc.)

Science can help us understand WHY people feel better grain-free. What bugs me is when people use science to tell others how they SHOULD feel, as if we can read an esteemed journal and wish our joint pain or intestinal pain away.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast