Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 222

Thread: Post scientific studies suggesting grains are bad for you here... page 3

  1. #21
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,932
    Primal Fuel
    Interesting thread, I wonder how bad grains are as well. It doesn't cause any problems for me. The only thing I could come up with is the fact that you are basically just eating calories while you could also eat meat (calories + nutrients).

    Neither do I understand why sugar is bad. I understand it is bad used in excessive amounts. Just like saturated fat is bad in excessive amounts.
    The only thing I'm truly convinced of is that PUFAs are bad. Or, bad in excessive amounts as well, but this happens very quick.
    Billie trips balls

  2. #22
    jimhensen's Avatar
    jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Wow, all of these studies are done in a lab exposing piles of cells to certain things found in grains. Where are the human studies? How can you say that when you eat grains that it will interact with the cells in the same way that it does in a lab? You can't.

  3. #23
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,425
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Wow, all of these studies are done in a lab exposing piles of cells to certain things found in grains. Where are the human studies? How can you say that when you eat grains that it will interact with the cells in the same way that it does in a lab? You can't.
    And you can't say they don't.
    As I have said all your studies show how bad grains are, still waiting for you to show us they are good.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 07-02-2012 at 07:38 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  4. #24
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,425
    A very interesting recent study written up in the NYT
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/op...&smid=fb-share
    and the original study here
    JAMA Network | JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association | Effects of Dietary Composition on Energy Expenditure During Weight-Loss MaintenanceDietary Composition During Weight-Loss Maintenance

    The conclusion
    The low-fat [read high carb and grains] diet produced changes in energy expenditure and serum leptin42 - 44 that would predict weight regain. In addition, this conventionally recommended diet had unfavorable effects on most of the metabolic syndrome components studied herein. In contrast, the very low-carbohydrate diet had the most beneficial effects on energy expenditure and several metabolic syndrome components, but this restrictive regimen may increase cortisol excretion and CRP. The low–glycemic index diet appears to have qualitatively similar, although smaller, metabolic benefits to the very low-carbohydrate diet, possibly without the deleterious effects on physiological stress and chronic inflammation.

    Low carbohydrate diets show significant benefits but as we have all seen here and see to accept it is not a good idea to VLC for extended periods of time.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  5. #25
    jimhensen's Avatar
    jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    All those studies show how bad grains are. We all agree, like filtered cigarettes being better than unfiltered ones, whole grains are better than refined grains.
    You still have yet to post a study showing whole grains are good for you, only better than refined grains. If big agra and the food companies thought eating grains was better than not eating them they would have done the study - they haven't which speaks volumes.
    The first study I posted said that refined grains has no effect on heart disease but the more whole grains you eat the more of a preventative effect it shows. It has nothing to do with replacing refined grains with whole grains.

    Also, I'm not even trying to say that grains are good for you. I am just trying to say that in part of a balanced diet with meat, fruits, and veggies they will have no ill effect on at least 95% of the population...and could possibly have an added benefit, but my main point is not that they are good for you...it is that for the great majority, they aren't bad for you.

  6. #26
    jimhensen's Avatar
    jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    A very interesting recent study written up in the NYT
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/op...&smid=fb-share
    and the original study here
    JAMA Network | JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association | Effects of Dietary Composition on Energy Expenditure During Weight-Loss MaintenanceDietary Composition During Weight-Loss Maintenance

    The conclusion
    The low-fat [read high carb and grains] diet produced changes in energy expenditure and serum leptin42 - 44 that would predict weight regain. In addition, this conventionally recommended diet had unfavorable effects on most of the metabolic syndrome components studied herein. In contrast, the very low-carbohydrate diet had the most beneficial effects on energy expenditure and several metabolic syndrome components, but this restrictive regimen may increase cortisol excretion and CRP. The low–glycemic index diet appears to have qualitatively similar, although smaller, metabolic benefits to the very low-carbohydrate diet, possibly without the deleterious effects on physiological stress and chronic inflammation.

    Low carbohydrate diets show significant benefits but as we have all seen here and see to accept it is not a good idea to VLC for extended periods of time.
    In my opinion that has more to do with macros than grains.

    My main argument is this: if someone eats meats, vegetables, and fruits (enough that they get enough protein and micro nutrients) then they can round out the rest of their calories with grains without having an ill effect on their health. I don't think there is any study or any evidence (other than a ton of n=1's on this site) that can say otherwise.

  7. #27
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,425
    But who cares if for a lot of people they bad?
    The better question is why eat graisn? They relatively tasteless on their own, have limited nutritional content, are very high in calories and have a high GI. There is no reason to "round" out your calories with grains. Much better to eat protein, fat and veg to easily get all your nutrients and all the flavour.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  8. #28
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,425
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    In my opinion that has more to do with macros than grains.
    But the study is showing how bad our conventionally recommended diet is...which is very telling.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  9. #29
    Apex Predator's Avatar
    Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    In my opinion that has more to do with macros than grains.

    My main argument is this: if someone eats meats, vegetables, and fruits (enough that they get enough protein and micro nutrients) then they can round out the rest of their calories with grains without having an ill effect on their health. I don't think there is any study or any evidence (other than a ton of n=1's on this site) that can say otherwise.
    On a low carb diet, there's not going to be much room for grains in your carb budget after fruits and vegs, and if you are eating root veg and not eating a ton of calories, there will be virtually none.

  10. #30
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,932
    Basically grains are not terrible, but there are much better options
    Billie trips balls

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •