Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Post scientific studies suggesting grains are bad for you here... page 20

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    I am coming down from 320. I'm right about 300 right now. I am 5'8 and would probably be in top physical shape around 180 pounds. Getting the weight off is the most important thing now. Once I get down to a more manageable weight I can start to worry about keeping fit and doing good for my body, but as of right now priority number one is losing weight.
    That is a high goal unless you get moving...I am 6' 180 and 13% BF....you have a lot of moving to get a lot of muscle on and loose a lot at the same time.

If I was you I would focus on that rather than trying to convince us to eat glue/grains. Seems you have much bigger battles to fight.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    That is a high goal unless you get moving...I am 6' 180 and 13% BF....you have a lot of moving to get a lot of muscle on and loose a lot at the same time.

If I was you I would focus on that rather than trying to convince us to eat glue/grains. Seems you have much bigger battles to fight.
    Truth.

"I'll do "x" when..." stops more people from doing things in this world than anything else ever has.

Losing weight can be a long slow process, no need to sit and wait for it. Might as well make use of the time in small steps to be prepared to use the smaller body one you have it.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    If you keep your protein high enough your muscle loss will be minimal.
    Incorrect. That's a one sided answer. You could consume 1.5-1.7 grams of protein per lb of LBM and still severely damage yourself due to over-training and/or improper or poor overall nutrition for an extended period of time. I'm an example of that. It's all about balance. Your body will be better off if you start incorporating weights now, instead of later, or one day you probably will be 180lbs, only you'll still be something crazy like 25% BF. There is a notion to lose it all in a hurry because technically, you can. It's detrimental to your health to do so. Slow, steady and intentional wins in the long run every time.

I know that picking a weight is motivating and that it's an easy thing to monitor, but I suggest picking a reasonable BF% instead. No offense, and I can say this since I used to be a 330lb porker, but frankly you don't have the first hand experience to come up with some of the stuff you've come up with. This entire premise is like telling an expert in _____ that he isn't qualified to give you input. You're a 300lbs dude trying to tell people with sub 15% BF%'s how to be healthy and why XYZ is good or bad. You're like a lawyer fresh out of law school. You may have read a lot, but you haven't put anything into practice long enough to really know what you're talking about.

Studies, and knowledge of studies, nutrition, lifting strategies/theories are cool and all, but it's worthless knowledge without experience to go with it. Every study, every blog, everything filled with facts and raw data has various fallacies, mainly that the information was most likely interpreted by a biased person. In goes back to my earlier comment about how science still can't decide if a freaking egg is good or bad for you. At the end of the day, a panel of people sitting around yakking about eggs doesn't really accomplish anything.

In other words, less reading, more doing!
    Last edited by Catharsis; 07-04-2012 at 10:46 PM.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Incorrect. That's a one sided answer. You could consume 1.5-1.7 grams of protein per lb of LBM and still severely damage yourself due to over-training and/or improper or poor overall nutrition for an extended period of time. I'm an example of that. It's all about balance. Your body will be better off if you start incorporating weights now, instead of later, or one day you probably will be 180lbs, only you'll still be something crazy like 25% BF. There is a notion to lose it all in a hurry because technically, you can. It's detrimental to your health to do so. Slow, steady and intentional wins in the long run every time.
    I think I love you.
    I know that wasn't for me... but thank you.

I have my limits, and I know them, but I do what I can.
    I eat well and have developed an "eat to live" instead of "eat to lose" relationship with food.
    I move as I'm able and I can work at being a better ME a little bit every day.
    Working towards the goals in body and in mind.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Although exercise can help promote weight loss it is more about being and keeping fit and the good it does your body.
    +1

Functional fitness is soooo beneficial.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I think I love you.
    I know that wasn't for me... but thank you.

I have my limits, and I know them, but I do what I can.
    I eat well and have developed an "eat to live" instead of "eat to lose" relationship with food.
    I move as I'm able and I can work at being a better ME a little bit every day.
    Working towards the goals in body and in mind.
    That's what all good people are here for! I'm not sure where exactly you're at, but always remember that no one person is the "gospel" with their advice. Just stay true to what you believe because those beliefs have a solid foundation!

Dailytribal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Interesting thread, I wonder how bad grains are as well. It doesn't cause any problems for me. The only thing I could come up with is the fact that you are basically just eating calories while you could also eat meat (calories + nutrients).

Neither do I understand why sugar is bad. I understand it is bad used in excessive amounts. Just like saturated fat is bad in excessive amounts.
    The only thing I'm truly convinced of is that PUFAs are bad. Or, bad in excessive amounts as well, but this happens very quick.
    Really a lot of saturated fat is bad? A lot of people here say it is good and that the body uses it. I eat a ton of it.

But almost all from meats and milk.

No Celiac, no wheat sensitivity but wheat induced exercise-induced anaphylaxis

Elsevier

http://archderm.jamanetwork.com/arti...ticleid=545914
    Last edited by Dirlot; 07-09-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Last edited by Dirlot; 07-13-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    I looked at the studies...they aren't all that convincing. There is definitely an overlap of people with sensitivity to gluten and mental disorders. It certainly doesn't mean that gluten causes the mental disorders but removing gluten from the diet of these people does seem to have neurological benefits. To anyone without mental issues, this has no bearing on them.

This article was somewhat interesting:

Gluten causes gastrointestinal symptoms i... [Am J Gastroenterol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

It just talks about how removing gluten from the diet of people with IBS helps some of them.

There was not one study on the list that said gluten was bad for everyone or that tons of people were gluten sensitive.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast