Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Post scientific studies suggesting grains are bad for you here... page 19

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Those aren't mutually exclusive though. You can be on a high protein diet while eating grains.
    Now we are back to that old question why do you want us to eat wheat/glue every chance you get.

You can if you want to. Others here eat rice or quinoa if needing to really up the calories for a marathon but other than that there is no need.

Pretty every study that has been linked in this thread and pretty much everyone here has found it is much healthier not to to eat wheat/glue and other grains.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 07-04-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Those aren't mutually exclusive though. You can be on a high protein diet while eating grains.
    Sure you can, but if you do you are calorie for calorie likely excluding other more nutritious foods at their addition. Plus, most of the nutrition in grain products is added in during processing, aka 'fortified'.
    I can take a vitamin tablet if I want that.

Also, you have never actually answered the question as to WHY you want try to talk people here, who are happy without grains, into eating them.
    It seems to me it's one of those misery loves company situations. Like when my unhealthy relatives say "C'mon, have some cake... this once won't hurt you." And shove a plate toward me... No thanks. I've had it before and it usually tastes like crap anyway. *shrug*
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Yup someone can be on a high protein diet while eating safe grains while being active and lose weight.

However, Jim, you've clearly stated that being active is too difficult for you for some mysterious reason. Hence, something has to give.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 07-04-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: clarification
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I'd also like to speak to the "active" thing.

I'm a disabled person. I live with severe chronic medical illness...
    And I walk despite motor skills dysfunction (gait ataxia) and bouts of dizzyness, confusion, and disorientation... on the days that I can. I admit that some days are worse than others and I can't walk every single day.

I do not, however, walk like a normal person. I walk in 10 min segments on a treadmill inside my home (with the emergency off cord tied to me). I cannot leave the house to walk unsupervised because I can have seizure like episodes where I can't move, speak, or respond.
    My doctor is FINE with this plan... thrilled by it in fact! She says it doesn't matter. Moving is MOVING and helps your body function better. Most of the days I walk I try and do at least 30-40min. Some days I feel better and can do up to 60-90min. If I thought about exercising conventionally and thought that I had to do at least 30-40 min all in one shot to do it at all... I would FAIL every time and quit (because self induced seizure time is stupid).

Is this "ideal". Hell no. But MY body is not in an "ideal" state right now... the temple is half fallen down. The thing is, if I just sit on my ass the rest will likely follow. You gotta do SOMETHING, even if it isn't as strenuous as what a healthy person would prescribe for you. Poke at your limits. Push them a little bit. I'm not going to say it's easy... living like I live isn't easy... but I keep working at making it better instead of making excuses.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-04-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I'd also like to speak to the "active" thing.

I'm a disabled person. I live with severe chronic medical illness...
    And I walk despite motor skills dysfunction (gait ataxia) and bouts of dizzyness, confusion, and disorientation... on the days that I can. I admit that some days are worse than others and I can't walk every single day.

I do not, however, walk like a normal person. I walk in 10 min segments on a treadmill inside my home (with the emergency off cord tied to me). I cannot leave the house to walk unsupervised because I can have seizure like episodes where I can't move, speak, or respond.
    My doctor is FINE with this plan... thrilled by it in fact! She says it doesn't matter. Moving is MOVING and helps your body function better. Most of the days I walk I try and do at least 30-40min. Some days I feel better and can do up to 60-90min. If I thought about exercising conventionally and thought that I had to do at least 30-40 min all in one shot to do it at all... I would FAIL every time and quit (because self induced seizure time is stupid).

Is this "ideal". Hell no. But MY body is not in an "ideal" state right now... the temple is half fallen down. The thing is, if I just sit on my ass the rest will likely follow. You gotta do SOMETHING, even if it isn't as strenuous as what a healthy person would prescribe for you. Poke at your limits. Push them a little bit. I'm not going to say it's easy... living like I live isn't easy... but I keep working at making it better instead of making excuses.
    It's awesome how far you are pushing yourself.

I have less restrictive (so far) issues.

Nonetheless, I say that merely being overweight or moderately obese is no excuse whatsoever for shunning exercise.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Yup someone can be on a high protein diet while eating safe grains while being active and lose weight.

However, Jim, you've clearly stated that being active is too difficult for you for some mysterious reason. Hence, something has to give.
    lol, being active isn't too difficult for me. Just a couple months ago I was doing serious mma practices 3 or 4 times a week. It doesn't really fit into my schedule right now though. I could ride a stationary bike I have or do some body weight exercises at night if I wanted to, but there isn't much of a reason for me to do so. I might burn a couple hundred calorie more a day (if that) and that would produce less than 2 pounds of extra weight loss a month. It just isn't really worth my time or effort at this point. When I hit a plateau or when I feel like I want to burn some extra energy I will add some exercise into my routine. Until then I can just keep doing what I'm doing.

lol, being active isn't too difficult for me. Just a couple months ago I was doing serious mma practices 3 or 4 times a week. It doesn't really fit into my schedule right now though. I could ride a stationary bike I have or do some body weight exercises at night if I wanted to, but there isn't much of a reason for me to do so. I might burn a couple hundred calorie more a day (if that) and that would produce less than 2 pounds of extra weight loss a month. It just isn't really worth my time or effort at this point. When I hit a plateau or when I feel like I want to burn some extra energy I will add some exercise into my routine. Until then I can just keep doing what I'm doing.
    Yeah right.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Although exercise can help promote weight loss it is more about being and keeping fit and the good it does your body.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Although exercise can help promote weight loss it is more about being and keeping fit and the good it does your body.
    I am coming down from 320. I'm right about 300 right now. I am 5'8 and would probably be in top physical shape around 180 pounds. Getting the weight off is the most important thing now. Once I get down to a more manageable weight I can start to worry about keeping fit and doing good for my body, but as of right now priority number one is losing weight.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Yeah right.
    Yeah right to what? That I was doing mma practices? You don't have to believe me but I am a pretty competent grappler.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast