Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Post scientific studies suggesting grains are bad for you here... page 17

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Actually, the point of my pot comment was to watch everything else I said get derailed and ignored. Mission Trolling The Troll, accomplished.

In a non-trolling suggestion, work out anyway. 10 years ago I was morbidly obese...2 liter of Mountain Dew and footlong Subway Sub a day obese. Any time you have a lot of weight to lose, it takes time. Any time it takes time, it's hard on the body. You can only be in a calorie deficit for so long before you begin to risk losing muscle mass. I lost roughly 130lbs. I also did thyroid damage and lost a ton of muscle mass. I was way over the top with everything.

You still need to work out. Walk 30 minutes a day. Lift weights for 15 minutes a day once or twice a week. You don't have to be Johnny Steel in the gym, just do something. Diet only takes you so far. Can you lose with just diet alone? Absolutely, but I promise you won't just be losing body fat.
    If you keep your protein high enough your muscle loss will be minimal.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    If you keep your protein high enough your muscle loss will be minimal.
    Good idea....and guess what the best way to do that is???

Anyone???

Cut grains and Eat Primal!!!!!

ROFL

I have heard this high protein to keep mucsle before and it may help but I doubt it will maintain it over prolonged weight loss. Exercise is still very, very important.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Actually, the point of my pot comment was to watch everything else I said get derailed and ignored. Mission Trolling The Troll, accomplished.
    He is very, very, very good at that.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post

Anyone???

ROFL

I have heard this high protein to keep mucsle before and it may help but I doubt it will maintain it over prolonged weight loss. Exercise is still very, very important.
    If maintaining muscle is number 1 priority, you are right, some weight training and adequate protein is needed. If a small amount of muscle loss is acceptable, then enough protein should do the trick. But, the leaner you get, the more protein you require to stop muscle loss. So I can eat about 120 grams of protein a day without losing muscle, but if I lose 100 pounds it would probably be closer to 200 grams of protein needed.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post

Anyone???

ROFL
    False, it isn't the best but rather one of many methods to accomplish eating a higher dietary protein content. Shoot, I've even worked with vegetarians that have accomplished the feat...

I hate to admit it, because I'm not a fan of the diet, but I even marvel at the physique achieved by this vegan as it appears dietary PRO content was sufficient enough for muscle retention in his case!

weigh-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    False, it isn't the best but rather one of many methods to accomplish eating a higher dietary protein content. Shoot, I've even worked with vegetarians that have accomplished the feat...

I hate to admit it, because I'm not a fan of the diet, but I even marvel at the physique achieved by this vegan as it appears dietary PRO content was sufficient enough for muscle retention in his case!

weigh-1.jpg
    My point was if you are on a calorie restricted diet you will not going to maintain high protein if you include grains!
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    My experience is having gained significant muscle while losing a lot of fat. I have eaten grains throughout - only white rice, for the starch. I've eliminated other grains due to personal sensitivities to them. I have not eaten particularly high protein for primal - it's been in the region of 1 g per lb of lean mass daily.

I have been very active.

I believe that severely restricting starch during a weight loss program can be detrimental to maintaining or building muscle.

For some of us at least, muscles are not built or maintained via minimal high-intensity workouts and sitting on our arse in ketosis for most of the rest of the time.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    My experience is having gained significant muscle while losing a lot of fat. I have eaten grains throughout - only white rice, for the starch. I've eliminated other grains due to personal sensitivities to them. I have not eaten particularly high protein for primal - it's been in the region of 1 g per lb of lean mass daily.

I have been very active.

I believe that severely restricting starch during a weight loss program can be detrimental to maintaining or building muscle.

For some of us at least, muscles are not built or maintained via minimal high-intensity workouts and sitting on our arse in ketosis for most of the rest of the time.
    1 gram per pound of LBM is actually a lot.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Only in CW terms. I don't believe that is very high in terms of paleo.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York

Not really...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast