Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Dextrose in sliced ham, maltodextrine in Stevia... page

  1. #1
    Daydreamer's Avatar
    Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    371

    Dextrose in sliced ham, maltodextrine in Stevia...

    Primal Fuel
    Hello.
    I know sliced ham is not typically paleo but it's a pratical way to get some meat and proteins in when I don't have the time to cook, and that I should avoid Stevia with maltodextrine as a bulking agent.
    But I was asking myself a question : In these products, are the glucose forms I quoted present in enough of a quantity to create an insulin spike ? Should I be worried about consuming them with a big quantity of fats in my diet ?

    Thank you for your kind answer.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

  2. #2
    wolfman's Avatar
    wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    261
    I understand the time crunch, I worked in film in nyc for the past 6 months, 12 hours days, 3 hours commutes, 6 hours of rest and back out the door, I ordered lots of primal grass feed beef jerkey, and nuts, and make little primal bags of food with those and ate them. Also as soon as I have a day off or so, maybe even a few hours, I make batches of food, mostly chicken breasts, spinach, hardboiled eggs, and gress fed meat patties. So I would try to cut out that garbage and devote more time and energy to primal foods, I thought of it as a fun challenge when I was crunched for time.

  3. #3
    Apex Predator's Avatar
    Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Hello.
    I know sliced ham is not typically paleo but it's a pratical way to get some meat and proteins in when I don't have the time to cook, and that I should avoid Stevia with maltodextrine as a bulking agent.
    But I was asking myself a question : In these products, are the glucose forms I quoted present in enough of a quantity to create an insulin spike ? Should I be worried about consuming them with a big quantity of fats in my diet ?

    Thank you for your kind answer.
    You'll get a much bigger insulin response from the protein than the trace carbs.

  4. #4
    Tribal Rob's Avatar
    Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wakefield, in the Englandshire
    Posts
    1,023
    I avoid stevia, or any other sweetener period, just because I want/need not to rely on sweet taste.

    I eat less ham now than when I started primal. For cold protein I prefere good cheese, and yes I know what the French think of UK cheese, but there is good stuff out there, nice course pate (exta offal = bonus), hard boiled egs and cold meat I have cooked myself, normally a chicken, I'm also. Not really so much for the dextrose, ham just tastes less 'clean' than it used too.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

  5. #5
    Daydreamer's Avatar
    Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    You'll get a much bigger insulin response from the protein than the trace carbs.
    So as long as I consume it at the same moment as the rest of my meal, I shouldn't worry about the tiny amounts it contains ?
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

  6. #6
    Apex Predator's Avatar
    Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    So as long as I consume it at the same moment as the rest of my meal, I shouldn't worry about the tiny amounts it contains ?
    I wouldn't.

  7. #7
    Artichoke's Avatar
    Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    198
    PrimalCon New York
    The only ham I know of without additives, here in the UK, is Prosciutto crudo di Parma air-dried Parma ham, just pork legs and salt. Maybe you could find some of that ? There must be French equivalents surely ??? Have a look at Fauchon, Hediard, bienmanger.com

    If on a budget I suggest having a look in Leclerc, Lidl or Aldi for the ready-sliced stuff. Lidl sells that for 1.99 GBP here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •