Thread: Recovery from a torn labrum page

zwschlei is offline Member

Recovery from a torn labrum

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had a torn labrum and surgery in November now I am back to lifting, but not at 100%. I want to do high intensity training while lifting to decrease body fat, but I don't know how since i cannot reinjure myself. Any ideas. I bench but at a lighter weight approx 35lbs each side with bar. I am 5'8'' 160 primal 7 weeks

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I assume this is your glenoid labrum? Just take it slow, any pain you need to stop. I would avoid anything too "dynamic" until you build your strength back up. Bench should be ok as long as you go slow and use common sense.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

rhiarti is offline Member
    I'd be inclined to speak with your physiotherapist to be on the safe side, but if that's not an option, then yeah - go gently, listen to your body, and really think about strengthening all the supporting muscles to minimise the risk of additional injury. Maybe focus on squats etc as your primary high intensity/heavy lifts in the meantime, looking at a more gradual increase in upper body strength work? Best of luck!

docpearce is offline Member
    Couple of things. 1 research shows that by lifting heavy with your good arm, it will have cross-over effects in the repaired shoulder.
    2. This gives you a great oppoertunity to really focus on legs