Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I ate A LOT today, best way to battle? page

primalhippie is offline Junior Member

I ate A LOT today, best way to battle?

Primal Fuel
    I just finished entering today's eats into PaleoTrack (which I just discovered today, goodbye crappy nutritional recommendations from my previous calorie tracking program!) and I ate a little over 3200 kcal today, all primal+dairy (butter, heavy whipping cream). I feel pretty full but not disgustingly I might puke up my guts or crap my pants at any second kind of full I get with SAD eating. I've never used this program before so maybe it is ringing things up differently but usually my calories are closer to 1800-1950. MacNut ratios are at 69%Fat/19%Protein/12%Carbs, totals at 256gFat/155gProtein/101gCarbs. I am a female, 5'5" and weight about 172 lbs currently. I don't work out a lot, no crossfit or anything like that. I've done some bodyweight stuff here and there but nothing dedicated as of yet, so not a trained elite athlete type or anything. And now for the question.

My question is, when I go all crazy on the noms like this (and stuff was NOM today) and ingest an insane amount of calories, etc., what are the best ways to both avoid gaining weight, and maybe get something beneficial out of it? What type of exercise would make the most of the fact that I ate over twice my BMR? Would lifting heavy things the day of be good to take advantage of the insane amount of protein or the day after, the day before? Should I throw in some cardio type stuff to burn some of those calories? Should I try some IFing afterward for a certain amount of time to make up for it?

It's too late to really do anything about it today but just wondering if anybody has any good advice on some stuff I could do to better my health on future feast days like this. Thanks!

ecole66 is online now Senior Member
    You consumed about 1200-1400 cal. more than your BMR? That is about half a pound of weight gain at most. just eat a little less the next few days or don't even worry about it. My guess is you will see no difference at all even if you just go on as usual.

Liam is offline Member
    Forget about "burning off calories" via a heavy workout session. You have to do a LOT to make a difference.
    I usually just skip a meal the day after a big feed. Most weeks I'll skip Sunday dinner after eating a lot on Saturday.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    If you start thinking you can "fix" overeating with exercise, you can go down a bad road of eating too much, thinking you can exercise it off and that doesn't really work. I'd be prone to eat very light for a few days if it happens a lot and if it is a "one time" type thing, just return to a normal day.

And try and make exercising a regular part of your life, but for the most part if you just do PB Fitness you don't need to eat more.

Paleofan is offline Senior Member
    It should balance out with days where you eat less. Also, I don't believe in CICO as it does not apply to me at all. Lots of good healthy fats, lower carb, never adds pounds for me.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalhippie View Post
    I just finished entering today's eats into PaleoTrack (which I just discovered today, goodbye crappy nutritional recommendations from my previous calorie tracking program!) and I ate a little over 3200 kcal today, all primal+dairy (butter, heavy whipping cream). I feel pretty full but not disgustingly I might puke up my guts or crap my pants at any second kind of full I get with SAD eating. I've never used this program before so maybe it is ringing things up differently but usually my calories are closer to 1800-1950. MacNut ratios are at 69%Fat/19%Protein/12%Carbs, totals at 256gFat/155gProtein/101gCarbs. I am a female, 5'5" and weight about 172 lbs currently. I don't work out a lot, no crossfit or anything like that. I've done some bodyweight stuff here and there but nothing dedicated as of yet, so not a trained elite athlete type or anything. And now for the question.

My question is, when I go all crazy on the noms like this (and stuff was NOM today) and ingest an insane amount of calories, etc., what are the best ways to both avoid gaining weight, and maybe get something beneficial out of it? What type of exercise would make the most of the fact that I ate over twice my BMR? Would lifting heavy things the day of be good to take advantage of the insane amount of protein or the day after, the day before? Should I throw in some cardio type stuff to burn some of those calories? Should I try some IFing afterward for a certain amount of time to make up for it?

It's too late to really do anything about it today but just wondering if anybody has any good advice on some stuff I could do to better my health on future feast days like this. Thanks!
    You're overthinking this. Stressing this much about overeating will probably have worse effects than the overeating itself.

We've evolved to eat big some days and eat small some days. Count it as an "eat big" day and move on.

primalhippie is offline Junior Member
    I guess I'm not really worried about it, it probably will balance out because I tend to eat A LOT less on my work days. I'm pretty sure what drove my calories up was all the butter in my coffee in the morning. I don't really believe in CICO either, I guess what I am really wondering is the best way to -take advantage- rather than -battle-. My protein intake was really high for the day, so I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to do a lift heavy things regiment as opposed to a move around at a slow pace to take advantage of that, but I don't know enough about the biological mechanisms I suppose to know if that would be the best time to take advantage. I think I am pretty well fat adapted though I tend to go on and off paleo but I never get carb-flu symptoms anymore when I go back on and I am fully aware that eating 256 g of fat is awesome and I have no problem with it. I just want to know some ways to optimize around having such a heavy eating day I suppose. I also just amaze myself sometimes at how much I can eat

I dunno, if I knew I was going to eat a ton, I might skip the butter in my coffee unless it is something you really love. I think for normal women, actually just eating fat for the sake of eating fat isn't a real good idea. Like I put heavy cream in my coffee, but i would not just eat heavy cream to get fat...

You are super lucky if CICO doesn't hold true for you.... it does for me.

Rosencrantz1 is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious, Magnolia - and I'm asking this sincerely, not trying to be snarky at all - why you think CICO is true for you? Have you read Gary Taubes? Do you understand the arguments against CICO?
    “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well....

I have done high fat/low carb and not seen a difference in loss vs. higher carbs/lower fat. Where it makes a difference for me is in a lack of hunger by eating the higher fat foods in the context of reduced calories (ie, if I eat 1500 calories high fat, I'm not hungry, if I eat 1500 low fat I want to eat everything in the world). If eat 2000 calories high fat I won't lose weight (I'll gain). If I eat 2000 calories low fat I won't lose weight (I'll gain).

I'm a big believer in that we all have different metabolisms. And to be honest, perhaps if I cut some carbs I could eat more.... but I think "more" is 100-200 calories more per day. I think for some people it might be a bigger difference.

To be fair, I haven't read his book- but for me *in my experience* of many years of dieting, I can eat whatever below a certain point and lose weight. I can eat whatever beyond a certain point and gain. Primal works well for me (I am probably generally below 100 carbs a day) and tend to naturally eat about 1500 calories a day of primal foods and the ratios of fat/protein/carbs and playing with those doesn't really impact whether I lose or not.

It does seem that some people do much better eliminating carbs. Me, it doesn't make a significant difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast